BajaNomad

6TH ANNUAL PRESIDENTS DAY NOMAD RIDE.

Pages:  1  

BAJACAT - 1-7-2012 at 10:46 PM

It's that time of the year to put a face on that screen name on BajaNomad, the event PRESIDENTS DAY NOMAD TRAIL RIDE,held on the San Felipe area.You can arrive to SF any time you want, on Saturday we will have a potluck on BAJAWARRIOR'S beach house...25 miles south of SF.The actual ride will be on Sunday the 19th, to a destination still in the works, dinner on town after the ride..After that it's up to you.
On Saturday we can do a quick trip to the sulfur mine or DK's Shell island..
Here are the dates
02/18 potluck dinner @ Chucks house.
02/19 Early in the morning ride with dinner in SF after ride.
02/20 (PRESIDENTS DAY) is open to what ever you want to do.

keep post it and save the day,will be checking regularly to post new info or dates or time changes...

That looks like fun!

Ken Cooke - 1-7-2012 at 11:20 PM

I can't make it this year, but definitely next year! :bounce:

BajaWarrior - 1-8-2012 at 07:21 AM

Thanks for posting this Jose.

We've been talking it up to our friends/neighbors in the South Campos Communities as well so hopefully we'll have a good group.

We have room for guest's as we have two homes on the same property as well as RV and tents sites if that's your needs.

Looks like we are shooting for Cajon canyon and will access that by taking the Huatamote wash West through Quartz Mountain (where we can meet up with the El Dorado group) and across (dry) Laguna Diablo to the Canyon.

We will take the easier way towards town on our departure and stop at El General for Tacos and Bean Soup.

This is a low impact off highway drive but 4WD is best. ATV's, buggies, and UTV's are welcome.

woody with a view - 1-8-2012 at 08:25 AM

Jose, where are all the Toyotas?

just kidding. have fun out there! maybe one day our tracks will converge.

David K - 1-8-2012 at 09:47 AM

Plenty of Toyotas at the first President's Day (Matomi) Group trip (2001): http://vivabaja.com/shell (Saturday tour of Sulfur Mine and Shell Island, Sunday to Matomi Canyon Falls)

The 2nd President's Day/ Matomi Run, 2004: http://vivabaja.com/204

[Edited on 1-8-2012 by David K]

BAJACAT - 1-8-2012 at 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Jose, where are all the Toyotas?

just kidding. have fun out there! maybe one day our tracks will converge.
Any time woody it will be my pleassure.there are plenty of toyos in our trips, but they are afraid of my big RAM, so thaey hidde in the the background..

Ken, i get have not gonne in a trip with you, it took me years to do one with DK,i wish booth of you can make this years..event.

BAJACAT - 1-8-2012 at 04:58 PM

Chuck, where is El CAjon Canyon..?

BajaWarrior - 1-8-2012 at 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT

It is just south of Diablo by a few miles. We went there a few years ago, not sure if you were there though but there are Petroglyphs and plenty of water. Good spot for a big group which we will have from South Campos.

Road trip

BajaRob - 1-8-2012 at 06:57 PM

I'm in for the Sunday ride. Cajon canyon is north of Huatamote wash and south of El Chaparral. My dos pesos is that we should consider dinner at Blowin Smoke BBQ owned by fellow Nomad Lee ( Baja BBQ ). Just sayin

BAJACAT - 1-8-2012 at 08:14 PM

thats another option Rob, where is this place located , downtown SF..

Chuck, no I have never been there, but if it has petros < im there, Im a sucker for ancient graffiti..

David K - 1-8-2012 at 09:53 PM

Quote:

I have photos of it at the end of my 2004 'Exotic Canyons' web page... It was the last of 5 we hiked in: Parral, Berrendo, Carrizo, Agua Caliente, Cajon: http://vivabaja.com/404

[Edited on 1-9-2012 by David K]

Ken Cooke - 1-8-2012 at 10:30 PM

Quote:

Ken, i get have not gonne in a trip with you, it took me years to do one with DK,i wish booth of you can make this years..event.

I would like to make a trip with you and your family, Jose. Leidys and I are planning to go to Tijuana for Fernando's Toy Drive. I have time off in April and May, so I will stay posted and hopefully can do another Nomad run later this year.

El Comadante Loco - 1-8-2012 at 11:35 PM

I'm in and ready... last year was a blast.. Anyone thinkning of camping out at Cajon...

BajaWarrior - 1-9-2012 at 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRob
I'm in for the Sunday ride. Cajon canyon is north of Huatamote wash and south of El Chaparral. My dos pesos is that we should consider dinner at Blowin Smoke BBQ owned by fellow Nomad Lee ( Baja BBQ ). Just sayin

I like it. We could reserve the back room for our group with a head count just prior to the run.

Baja.BBQ - 1-9-2012 at 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Quote:

I like it. We could reserve the back room for our group with a head count just prior to the run.

We would love to have any or all Nomads come to our place ! Will make sure that everyone is happy when they leave ! Thanks for the consideration.
Lee and Linda

Baja.BBQ

mcfez - 1-9-2012 at 10:29 AM

HEY LEE!!!!!!!

Long time no hear. I thought perhaps Linda had added you to the menu list :lol:

I sure do miss them ribs your folks crank out down there. Really great stuff. Give Linda my regards. See ya in a few months.

Baja.BBQ - 1-9-2012 at 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
HEY LEE!!!!!!!

Long time no hear. I thought perhaps Linda had added you to the menu list :lol:

I sure do miss them ribs your folks crank out down there. Really great stuff. Give Linda my regards. See ya in a few months.

Hey Deno, thanks for the kind words! Nomad Cisco made it down here and said Thanks.. Hope to see all of you down here soon. Look for a U2U soon.
Lee

Hi Lee

BajaRob - 1-9-2012 at 10:43 AM

The Saturday night will be a mixed grill potluck at Baja Warrior's. The SF dinner will be Sunday after the Cajon trip. Will you be open then?

Baja.BBQ - 1-9-2012 at 10:53 AM

Quote:
The Saturday night will be a mixed grill potluck at Baja Warrior's. The SF dinner will be Sunday after the Cajon trip. Will you be open then?

Rob, for this elite group we are open from whatever time in a.m. till whatever time p.m. with full staff to ensure great service.
Thanks,
Lee and Linda

Larana - 1-9-2012 at 03:56 PM

Baja Wes and Di will be in for the ride.

BajaBlanca - 1-9-2012 at 05:28 PM

Dave - as usual your photo and commentary is spectacular ... is rancho el parral right there at the end where EL PARRAL ends on the map ? amazing that it has so much water !

Jose - good that you are organizing this already so that people really have plenty of time to plan. what a huge group !!

bajalou - 1-9-2012 at 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
D ... is rancho el parral right there at the end where EL PARRAL ends on the map ? amazing that it has so much water !
J

Yes.

Barry A. - 1-9-2012 at 05:47 PM

There use to be a VERY locked gate where the road from Carricitos (in the mouth of Carrizo Canyon) crossed over the divide past Barrendo Canyon and entered Parral Wash preventing any travel up Parral Canyon to the Ranch at 'El Parral'. Is that gate no longer an issue?

I tried many times over the years to reach 'El Parral' but never could get by that gate, and never had (took) time to hike up.

Barry

bajalou - 1-9-2012 at 06:07 PM

It was unlocked a few years ago and a group f us went up to the corral and camped and walked the rest of the way to the ranch.

Last year it was locked again.

BAJACAT - 1-9-2012 at 11:02 PM

good to see you here Lou, I hope you are doing ok.

As far as tyhe BBQ,idea i love it....
can wait to be back in SF, and speend some time with local nomads..
come on, the more the merrier.

BajaWarrior - 1-10-2012 at 05:27 AM

We're going this weekend to pre-run the Trail Ride. Also we're getting a lot of South Campos (the community where our Beach House is in)interest so we'll have a good turnout.

mcfez - 1-10-2012 at 07:20 AM

Is this a 4W run only?

David K - 1-10-2012 at 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
Dave - as usual your photo and commentary is spectacular ... is rancho el parral right there at the end where EL PARRAL ends on the map ? amazing that it has so much water !

Jose - good that you are organizing this already so that people really have plenty of time to plan. what a huge group !!

Yes... at the end of a 1 mile hike (dashed line 1.0) from a major washout of the road (2004).

The once locked gate was along the road (marked 3.6). This is where I met BajaLou, Mexitron and others on that day.

BajaWarrior - 1-10-2012 at 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
Is this a 4W run only?

Yes, sort of, (Buggies, ATV's, UTV's are OK too) you will need a vehicle that is capable of driving in dry sandy riverbeds for about 15 miles at the most from the start of the Huatamote Wash (East of Laguna Percebu) to Quartz Mountain which is on the East side of Laguna Diablo. From there 4WD is not needed, it's just a trail ride from there to Cajon Canyon. From there we will travel back North towards El Dorado on East Valley Road (dirt) to where this road comes out at the Road Runner Cafe at Hwy. 5 which is about 9 miles North of San Felipe.

Blowin' Smoke as you know is very close to here in fact only 1/2 mile North of this intersection.

My Wife and I are pre-running the trail ride this coming weekend and may even pre-run Blowin' Smoke.

[Edited on 1-10-2012 by BajaWarrior]

[Edited on 1-10-2012 by BajaWarrior]

Hey Chuck

BajaRob - 1-11-2012 at 03:46 PM

Are you planning on crossing Valle Chico via Rehab Road?

BajaWarrior - 1-11-2012 at 07:05 PM

Quote:
Are you planning on crossing Valle Chico via Rehab Road?

That's the plan is to take Rehab Road which we did before I believe, we're going to pre-run on Saturday or Sunday if on Saturday we'll pre-run Blowin' Smoke as well.

I put this event out on the South Campos Facebook Page as well and have some good response from that. I'm sure you know half of the people interested from our area.

edm1 - 1-12-2012 at 05:29 AM

Sounds like a great trip.

Is this trail over boulders and narrow off-camber situations? Just wondering if I should bring my Xtreme trail vehicle or the tamer one :-)

Not extreme

BajaRob - 1-12-2012 at 06:39 AM

at all. The only need for 4WD is a few miles of soft sand. It is an easy and pleasant trip.

DK

BajaRob - 1-12-2012 at 02:16 PM

Any chance that you can make this one? This is the one that I met you when we had more hair, less wrinkles, and fewer pounds. Oh well, fat, dumb and happy ain't so bad. Please try to make it, we'll leave a light on for you two.

David K - 1-12-2012 at 02:21 PM

If I get some work, of course!

Nomads in San Diego County: Update your irrigation, outdoor lighting and drainage systems!

2004 President's Day Report

David K - 1-12-2012 at 06:53 PM

posted on 2-17-2004 at 12:39 AM

MATOMI 2004: "It just doesn't get any better than this!"

Hola Amigos, I want to tell you that after spending a three day weekend with both old and brand new friends, I am so convinced that Baja is a magic place and you who love Baja are just the greatest people!

In a nut shell, EVERYTHING WAS PERFECT!

Now, the rest of the story (from my perspective)...

FRIDAY the 13th. Got out of town (Oceanside) by 6 pm and rolled into Nuevo Mazatlan at 11:45pm. Steve (Edie H's hubby) and Mike Humfreville were still up. My tent went up and I crashed. Sarah crashed in my truck.

SATURDAY 2-14:

It's Valentine's Day and we love Baja! In camp are Mexray & Pat, Mike & Mary Ann Humfreville, Edie H & Steve, Surfer Jim, my daughter Sarah and I. Soon a vehicle pulls up and we get to meet 'Baja Rob' from Bahia Santa Maria who shows us his photos of Matomi. Not long after, the Ford/Lance camper of Bob H & Audrey arrives then the Yellow Hummer H2 of GeoRock & Pete (with their daughter Alicia & her friend, Britanny).

We take a ride out to 'Shell Island' and do some scavenging and rescue a stuck truck (too much air in the tires). Steve & Edie have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and extract the vehicle to the delight of the young kids who were otherwise helpless. Mike Humfreville will want to tell you about his Suburban (La Vaca Blanca), which did fine (mostly)!

During one of our stops to see shells (and an octopus) a fellow walked up from a nearby Jeep CJ-5 and asked if I was 'David K'. It was Chris, 'ViaBaja' who has been coming down to Shell Island and the area for ages. His web site has tons of vintage area photos http://www.viabaja.com
Back at Nuevo Mazatlan, we had more visitors! Mary rode up from Playa Mexico on her quad and Tunaeater (Paul) on his motorcycle came to meet us. Many of us remember Paul from his and Desert Rat's story of when D'Rat and Tunaeater toured Mexicali's night life!

Bob H brought a TV and VCR which we set up by our camp chairs, and plugged into Mexray's battery powered camp trailer. We all watched El Camote's video 'Matomi 2001' and 'The Great Lost Mission Hunt Preview' as a teaser to tomorrow's Matomi Canyon trip.

SUNDAY 2-15:

Mexray had customized hats and shirts made for Matomi 2004... we were styling! Everyone agreed that there was no reason to cancel the day trip as we would be cautious of any contestants in the upcoming SCORE race who might be checking the course ("pre-running").

Just before we left camp, TW and his brother Bill arrived in a Toyota truck with a Baja racing motorcycle onboard. TW wanted to ride it out from Matomi to Hwy. 5. TW also brought his radar gun to 'clock' anyone who took his bet challenge in Arroyo Matomi (nobody showed!).

We all had CBs and kept a close watch for dust clouds of any pre-runners for the 2 week away San Felipe 250 race on the small portion of the future race course we would be using.

We went west from Nuevo Mazatlan to the Parral Canyon road, just south of the Sulfur Mine, and crossed over to Valle Chico in it. This pass through the Sierra San Felipe has many interesting geologic feature and we were very privlaged to have Georock explain what we were looking at, during our stops.

In Valle Chico, the race course joined our route using new 'road' that came down the middle of the valley, rather than using the existing road south from Agua Caliente.
At the edge of Matomi Canyon, we stopped to peek down into the gorge, listen for any pre-runners (still none), the descend to the bottom. The race turns left, down stream and we turn right for the 5.2 mile rough road to Rancho El Matomi.

Not far from the turn we come upon 3 vehicles with many uniformed men. The front vehicle (Chevy Trail Blazer) has the hood up. Seems the 4WD is not engaging (bad vacuum line and was later fixed). The men were from Mexico's equivelant of our Fish & Game and EPA. I was soon being questioned if this was a tour business and if so, I would need 'permits'! Now, it looked bad because we had these hats and shirts on that said 'Matomi 2004 Tour' (thanks to Mexray)!!! No, no, I said we are all just friends on an outing and the hats were for this reunion trip. He questioned the others while I was told to stay with his assistant. Of course, everyone else said the same and Tunaeater's dad speaks fluent Spanish... so all was smiles in the end! The men even moved some huge rocks so we could get around the stuck Chevy... all nine of our vehicles (2 Toyota trucks, Ford Truck, Chevy Truck, Ford Bronco, Hummer, Isuzu Trooper, Grand Cherokee and a Suburban)!

Matomi Ranch had eveidence of recent habitation, but was empty. We walked down the path to the waterfall fed pool and took photos. Soon there was a splash! GeoRock (Suzanne) could not resist... the three teenage girls also jumped in!

We had some lunch, took a group photo, Surfer Jim gave beer to the fish and game guys and we headed back. The Matomi narrows, east of the Valle Chico junction were very geologically interesting and colorful. GeoRock loved it!

After the narrows, Arroyo Matomi opens up with parallel tracks.. easy passing. Where were all those 100 MPH pre-runners that we were warned would cause us death and injury? TW and I were both past off road racers and spectators. We knew what pre-running is and it is not racing. The course is an open road to be used by everyone, except on race day. Anyway, it sure was a source for good laughter and joking about the threats made.

The Hummer crew was sure a happy bunch cruising Matomi, with laughter and singing on the CB.

Just a mile or two before reaching Hwy. 5, I saw headlights in my mirror. As I was the last/back door vehicle, it wasn't one of us... FINALLY, a pre-runner.. and just in time as our ride was nearly over and the sun had just set! I radioed the gang and we all pulled aside to allow the pickup to pass. No horn, high beams, or nerfing was necessary as he just cruised pass. The above is only done on race day, anyway.... not when pre-running (at least by mature racers).

Upon reaching Hwy. 5, TW was there with his motorcycle. The Mexicali based pre-runner's support crew gave TW a photo of the actual Class 8 race truck before heading north. They told him most pre-running is done the weekend before the race (next weekend).
We returned to Nuevo Mazatlan for great bond fire, thanks to the wood from TW, Arroyo Matomi, and everybody's wood stash. TW and Surfer Jim head north that night. Tunaeater and his dad left Matomi before the rest of us and returned to their camp, as the Trooper was acting up a bit (probably old gas was mentioned).

The weather was identicle to the last Matomi Gang event in 2001, somewhat overcast on Saturday and blue skys on Sunday.

MONDAY 2-16:

We didn't go to the sulfur mine on Saturday, so GeoRock & the Hummer gang, Humfreville's and Sarah & I went there this morning and explored the old mine. Once again, the race course goes right throught the sulfur mine, but we saw no pre-runners. Pete and Suzanne let me drive the Hummer back to Nuevo Mazatlan! I was very impressed. That big rig can turn so tight, it can go on any trail the shorter rigs can go on. I think Pete want to try Mision Santa Maria!

Mexray & Pat are continuing south to the Mulege area for a couple weeks. We said our good byes to them, Mike & Mary Ann, and Edie & Steve, as well.

The Hummer (with my daughter on board) and I go to San Felipe together and have a great lunch before I finally seperate Sarah from her new friends for our trip home.

We left San Felipe at 3:30pm, use the Mexicali East crossing (18 minute line) and are in the U.S. at 6pm and back home at 9pm.

Please excuse bad spelling or if I forgot a namer or two... I am muy tired zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! I just wanted to give all of you my take on a perfect Baja weekend with the greatest people! They all have or will post their obsevations. Also, we will have a LOT of photos to share. Coming in a week or more (for Mexray's return) to this web site. VIVA BAJA EVERYBODY!

PHOTOS: http://vivabaja.com/204

Let's start a body count

BajaRob - 1-13-2012 at 02:00 PM

Bajacat
bajawarrior
Elcomadanteloco
Bajarob
Wes & Di
Edm1?

BajaWarrior

BajaRob - 1-14-2012 at 11:27 AM

and Chris are pre-running the course at the moment. Who else is coming?

BAJACAT - 1-15-2012 at 10:10 AM

chuck maybe a few pix after the pre-run to get people motivated.

Rob, and so in add me twice to the list...hahaha..

and like last time I can carry fuel or suplies for the moto and atv guys..

David K - 1-15-2012 at 11:16 AM

Yah, how about posting some photos of Quartz Mountain?

Some Quartz Mountain photos are in the #4 trip pages: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=35477

[Edited on 1-16-2012 by David K]

BAJACAT - 1-16-2012 at 12:06 PM

DK, what about the dates and firts presidents day Nomads rides from the past.Motomi 2001 was the firts one ..

BAJACAT - 1-16-2012 at 01:14 PM

Ok waiting for DK,,but for now this is what I found.
correct me if im wrong DK..

firts Matomi gand ride on Presidents day was
on Feb-18 destination MATOMI RANCH
nomads that participated,El camote,DK, Jeanns,Mike Humfreville,MexRay, AmoPescar just to mention a few.

second Matomi gang nomad ride was
on Feb-4 2004 destination El PARRAL AND MATOMI CANYON'S
nomads that participated,DK,BobH Mexray,Tunaeater,EdieH,BajaRob,SurferJim,Georock just to mention a few.

third Annual PRESIDENTS DAY, nomad trail ride was
on Feb-17/2008 destination MATOMI CANYON
nomads that participated,BAJACAT,BAJAWARRIOR,GADGET & BAJALETI,SQUARECIRCLE,BAJAJAC,BAJALOU,NEAL JOHNS,TACOFELIZ,BAJAROB just to mention a few.

fourth Annual PRESIDENTS DAY nomad trail ride was
on ????????
I wasn't there for this one , so i can find the info
maybe BajaWarrior can help me with this one, I think they went to Quartz Mnt.

Fith Annual PRESIDENTS day nomad trail ride was
on Feb-20-2011 destination DIABLO CANYON
Nomads that participated , BAJACAT,BAJALOU,BAJAWARRIOR,EL COMANDANTE LOCO,TW,BAJAROB Just to mention a few..

David K - 1-16-2012 at 02:38 PM

Hi Jose,

Yes #1 was President's Day 2001 http://vivabaja.com/shell for Shell Island and the sulfur mine on Saturday and http://vivabaja.com/matomi for the El Dorado to Matomi run on Sunday (they are linked together).

#2 was President's Day 2004 http://vivabaja.com/204 for Shell Island Saturday and Matomi on Sunday, both from Nuevo Mazatlan, the sulfur mine was visited Monday morning.

You are looking for #4... a LOT of pages begin here: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=35477

David K - 1-18-2012 at 10:23 AM

Jose?

I am going to do a thread on the Eastside San Pedro Martir canyons. I will list names, descriptions, maps... So, if anyone wants to hang around the region and see these geologic wonders of Baja, they will have some deatils.

Here is the thread: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=57587

[Edited on 1-18-2012 by David K]

BajaWarrior - 1-18-2012 at 08:21 PM

Well we (my Wife Chris and i) did our Pre-run this past Saturday and had a great trip out to Cajon Canyon. I'm not going to spoil you with all the details as many will be experiencing this first hand come Presidents Weekend.

But here are some of the highlights.

The next morning we took out the Seadoo and saw a lot of Dolphins, easily over a hundred and they did not disappoint.

So join the fun, there are a lot of the South Campos group from our area that will be joining in on the fun. We are also hosting a Potluck on Saturday night before the ride on Sunday. Also on Sunday we will be dining at Blowin' Smoke Rib Joint just North of San Felipe.

Join the fun!

David K - 1-19-2012 at 12:37 PM

Any sign of 'Burro Bob' at Rancho El Cajon (at the canyon entrance)?
Last post was in 2007: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=27270&pag...

[Edited on 1-19-2012 by David K]

BAJACAT - 1-20-2012 at 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Jose?

I am going to do a thread on the Eastside San Pedro Martir canyons. I will list names, descriptions, maps... So, if anyone wants to hang around the region and see these geologic wonders of Baja, they will have some deatils.

Thanks David, so are you going to make this one....please!!!

David K - 1-21-2012 at 01:56 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Jose?

Thanks David, so are you going to make this one....please!!!

Anytime we Nomads get together it is fun! I would like to be in Baja more than you know... It is a matter of money. Let's hope I can sell some irrigation/ lighting jobs or get a new career going (tour guide?)!!

BAJACAT - 1-24-2012 at 09:20 PM

lets hope you land a few jobs, DK so we can do another ride together....
I will test my GENERALS GRABBER'S.. in the SF desert.....

BajaWarrior - 1-25-2012 at 05:28 AM

Quote:
Last post was in 2007: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=27270&pag...

Did not see 'Burro Bob' or anyone else for that matter. Quiet and BEAUTIFUL out there.

David K - 1-25-2012 at 09:56 AM

Quote:
lets hope you land a few jobs, DK so we can do another ride together....
I will test my GENERALS GRABBER'S.. in the SF desert.....

Thank you, I have a couple this week and an estimate!:bounce:

You got the Red Letter General Grabbers??? Way Cool!!!

David K - 1-25-2012 at 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Quote:

Did not see 'Burro Bob' or anyone else for that matter. Quiet and BEAUTIFUL out there.

NICE!!

BajaWarrior - 1-30-2012 at 08:47 PM

Getting close to the Presidents Weekend trip. We've got a good sized group so far from South Campos San Felipe but need more to make it merrier!

Ken Cooke - 1-30-2012 at 09:16 PM

Quote:

Yes #1 was President's Day 2001 http://vivabaja.com/shell for Shell Island and the sulfur mine on Saturday and http://vivabaja.com/matomi for the El Dorado to Matomi run on Sunday (they are linked together).

I am still kicking myself for not going in 2001. I was planning on attending, except I was getting married to the ex-wife that April. I have the video (on VHS), but I unfortunately fell for the hard sell. Life is full of regrets...

BAJACAT - 1-30-2012 at 09:47 PM

KEN why you can make this one... it's going to be alot fun...
I hope more nomads will joing in, I dont know why is so hard to get people together.

Ken Cooke - 1-30-2012 at 09:50 PM

Quote:
KEN why you can make this one... it's going to be alot fun...

2 Reasons:

(1) Tickets to see The English Dogs on 2/25
(2) Lack of $$Funds$$ (Immigration Fees, Past-due College Loan Payments)

BAJACAT - 1-30-2012 at 10:06 PM

sounds like good reasons, maybe the next one. don't fell bad I had never been in a Baja grande event ither..

David K - 2-1-2012 at 06:50 PM

Well Jose, I am going to guess that I won't be making it... I learned today I got hired as a full time guy at an irrigation/ garden supply store. I will be working Saturdays, with Sunday and Wednesday off. So, I will have to get re-adjusted to working from 6:30am to 3:30... !:wow: Money is money, and with the American economy so badly messed up, I needed something to do besides waiting for my customers to need me!

Unless the place is closing for the holiday (and I don't think they do), I will miss the run... You guys have a great time, and take lots of photos! Don't let anyone hike without a buddy and a GPS, too!

TMW - 2-2-2012 at 10:15 AM

I guess it is congratulations on the job DK but having split days off will sure put a cramp in your Baja trips.

David K - 2-2-2012 at 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I guess it is congratulations on the job DK but having split days off will sure put a cramp in your Baja trips.

Yah, and thanks! A guy gots to do what a guy gots to do (sounds like Popeye)! Once I am there a while (if I am there awhile, I hear it is pretty easy to request days off... We shall see... A funny note, my phone's been ringing and I have three new estimates to do or repairs to make! :lol: I may be working 7 days a week (at least until I drop dead)!:(:yes::wow:

BajaWarrior - 2-2-2012 at 07:49 PM

TW, will you be on the ride this year? How about Rudy?

TMW - 2-3-2012 at 11:32 AM

Rudy will be there but I will not. Have a great ride with plenty of pictures.

El Comadante Loco - 2-4-2012 at 09:00 PM

I will plan to be there but all this depends on how I am feeling since I am having carpal tunnel surgery on my left hand on the 17th,, It's a b-tch getting old....

BajaRob - 2-5-2012 at 09:38 AM

Hope that you can make it Rudy. Mixed grill pot luck BBQ at Chuck's Saturday night.

BAJACAT - 2-5-2012 at 01:01 PM

13 MORE DAYS...how is the weather in SF Rob.

BajaRob - 2-5-2012 at 08:29 PM

The weather is great and should only get better!!!

BajaWarrior - 2-8-2012 at 05:05 PM

Quote:
The weather is great and should only get better!!!

Good to hear Rob.

So far I have 13 vehicles going and also 13 couples coming to the Potluck. We're cooking a mess o' chicken and providing lots of Guacamole and chips. Need salsa!

Have you been able to collect more people for this event?

Chuck

Edit for now 15 vehicles.

[Edited on 2-10-2012 by BajaWarrior]

BAJACAT - 2-9-2012 at 08:01 PM

Chuck Im taking another family with me.. so problaby I will speed all day Saturday showing them SF, I will stop by your house Saturday...to get the final details..for Sundays ride.they are driving a small Nissan Sentra, for the ride they will go in my truck with me... see you there..

Ateo - 2-9-2012 at 08:06 PM

Nomads: would love to join the caravan but I'll be on the pacific side of Baja about 400 miles down. Maybe next year! Good luck!!!

Bob H - 2-9-2012 at 08:07 PM

I am really looking forward to the trip report on this eventful gathering of Nomads. We will be in Miami this year during this run or maybe we could have also joined in. I'll think of all of you during this run while I am munching on fantastic Cuban food!

Have fun everyone!

Bob H

BajaWarrior - 2-11-2012 at 06:31 AM

Quote:
Chuck Im taking another family with me.. so problaby I will speed all day Saturday showing them SF, I will stop by your house Saturday...to get the final details..for Sundays ride.they are driving a small Nissan Sentra, for the ride they will go in my truck with me... see you there..

Sounds good Jose. Vehicle count is now 16 and BajaRob should have even more. It will be a good turnout for the Potluck too so come on by, we'll be ready for you.

I do

BajaRob - 2-11-2012 at 09:39 AM

David K - 2-11-2012 at 07:06 PM

You guys doing a Saturday sulfur mine tour, before the big Sunday tour? (Chuck's photo above was a hint)

edm1 - 2-11-2012 at 07:34 PM

I wished and planned on making this trip, to meet BajaWarrior and visit with a big group of Nomads. I got the rig all ready to go. . . Until yesterday, a conflict developed; I won't be able to join you guys.

I look forward to the trip report and photos.

BAJACAT - 2-12-2012 at 01:00 PM

we are going to miss you Art..DK are you going

The locals are getting on board

BajaRob - 2-13-2012 at 02:34 PM

It is going to be a great mixed grill pot luck, day desert outing and BBQ feast. Not to be missed if you can make it.

BajaWarrior - 2-13-2012 at 06:44 PM

Quote:
It is going to be a great mixed grill pot luck, day desert outing and BBQ feast. Not to be missed if you can make it.

Thanks Rob for the update, have you spoken to Lee about Sunday's Dinner at Blowin' Smoke? I have at least 16 couples going on the ride alone.

For the groups I talked to (Fernando) here is the sign for our Campo turnoff (Km. 31) and there is my Casa (#24 two story) with the Moon next to it, can't miss it. See ya Friday.

We'll be down Friday by Noon.

[Edited on 2-14-2012 by BajaWarrior]

David K - 2-13-2012 at 06:53 PM

Quote:
we are going to miss you Art..DK are you going

Not unless my phone rings with a great irrigation request, I win the lotto or close!

I now work a j-o-b every day except Sun. and Wed.. incl. Pres. Day (not closed). :(

Help me!:yes::rolleyes:

Hey Chuck

BajaRob - 2-14-2012 at 09:27 AM

Lee and Linda will be open with a full crew to serve up the best BBQ in Baja

David K - 2-14-2012 at 06:26 PM

Sounds great... You guys enjoy... Please take photos... Rob, you got to let me help you with that photo posting!... yah, I know... maņana!:smug:;D

BAJACAT - 2-14-2012 at 07:38 PM

Im leaving friday around,10:00am I dont know how my companions drive in Mexico,I drive fast like DK...:biggrin:

BajaWarrior - 2-15-2012 at 05:22 AM

Quote:
Lee and Linda will be open with a full crew to serve up the best BBQ in Baja

Good for us! What a treat, BBQ and Cold Beer after a day in the Desert...

BajaWarrior - 2-15-2012 at 05:23 AM

Quote:
Im leaving friday around,10:00am I dont know how my companions drive in Mexico,I drive fast like DK...:biggrin:

We will be at our Beach House by Noon on Friday.

David K - 2-15-2012 at 10:57 AM

Quote:

OFF ROAD! :yes:

BAJACAT - 2-15-2012 at 05:04 PM

OFF ROAD AND ONROAD(PAVEMENT)...:lol:

David K - 2-15-2012 at 05:14 PM

Quote:
OFF ROAD AND ONROAD(PAVEMENT)...:lol:

Hey, I obey the Mexican federal limits... It says 80!!!:light::lol:

Pullin out

BajaRob - 2-16-2012 at 04:24 PM

2" thick filetes and grande azul camerones for Saturday night at Baja Warriors. It's all about the food. Stroll in the desert Sunday followed by Memphis BBq at Blowin Smoke. Lookin good

BAJACAT - 2-16-2012 at 09:04 PM

Im ready, heading out tomorrow @ 9:00am via laguna Salada...
see you guys there...

Ken Cooke - 2-16-2012 at 09:19 PM

Quote:
Im ready, heading out tomorrow @ 9:00am via laguna Salada...
see you guys there...

You better take pictures, Jose!!

BAJACAT - 2-17-2012 at 08:55 AM

I will Ken, just living my house right now...
looking foward to see everybody there..

Larana - 2-17-2012 at 12:44 PM

Sorry we will not be able to attend. Wes hurt his back and not up to buggy riding yet. We were really looking forward to it. Hope we can do it next year and meet some of you again. Have fun and enjoy Blowin Smoke. Our favorite place.!!

El Comadante Loco - 2-17-2012 at 10:34 PM

Just got back home from having hand surgery so I will not make the ride.. Hope to get to SF tomorrow if wife will drive but if she does we have to return sunday afternoon. A day in SF is better than a day in El Centro.

woody with a view - 2-17-2012 at 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Comadante Loco
A day in SF is better than a day in El Centro.

SAVVY?

get better.....:P

David K - 2-18-2012 at 07:29 PM

Well, right now they are all fed and ready for the big Sunday event! Really sorry we could not be there too!:cool:

BajaRob - 2-19-2012 at 06:38 AM

We will all start getting together in about an hour. Launch point is the Bahia Santa Maria sign at 7:00.Our route will take us through Huatamote and Chanate Washes to Quartz Mountain. From there we will intersect the Valle Chico East Valley Road and go south to Rehab Road then west to the West Valley Road. We then go north to Cajon Canyon. We will hike, explore, and hang out for a couple of hours. We will then depart via Chaparrel on the Cross Valley Road to the East Valley Road. Then North to Zoo Road and East to Hwy 5 and on to Blowin Smoke. c-cktails and BBQ to follow what should be a great day in the Desert. It won't be the same without you Lou and your wealth of information. Wish that you could make it David, hopefully next time.

David K - 2-19-2012 at 10:37 AM

Quote:
We will all start getting together in about an hour. Launch point is the Bahia Santa Maria sign at 7:00.Our route will take us through Huatamote and Chanate Washes to Quartz Mountain. From there we will intersect the Valle Chico East Valley Road and go south to Rehab Road then west to the West Valley Road. We then go north to Cajon Canyon. We will hike, explore, and hang out for a couple of hours. We will then depart via Chaparrel on the Cross Valley Road to the East Valley Road. Then North to Zoo Road and East to Hwy 5 and on to Blowin Smoke. c-cktails and BBQ to follow what should be a great day in the Desert. It won't be the same without you Lou and your wealth of information. Wish that you could make it David, hopefully next time.

Thanks for the route Rob, nice to visualize where you guys are going! Looking forward to the photos and stories!

[Edited on 2-19-2012 by David K]

TMW - 2-19-2012 at 11:26 AM

DK you have the name Parral and SCORE has it as Azufre. Are they the same? I see the Almanac also calls it Parral.

bajalou - 2-19-2012 at 11:41 AM

Mexican TOPOs also refer to it as Parral - I think Score got Azufre as it's east end is near the sulfur mine. Lots of Americans in the San Felipe area call it Crazyhorse, a name given by Bruce Barber.

TMW - 2-19-2012 at 12:15 PM

Thanks Lou

David K - 2-19-2012 at 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Mexican TOPOs also refer to it as Parral - I think Score got Azufre as it's east end is near the sulfur mine. Lots of Americans in the San Felipe area call it Crazyhorse, a name given by Bruce Barber.
Lou is exactly correct!
 Pages:  1