BajaNomad

Bigmouth Bastard

Skipjack Joe - 1-8-2012 at 10:36 AM

errr... the one in the foreground.

BigmouthBastard.jpg - 48kB

BajaWarrior - 1-8-2012 at 10:52 AM

Big mouth caught in L.A. Bay back in the 90's, delicious!

watizname - 1-8-2012 at 10:55 AM

Is it Crochety or Krochity? Nice fish Joe.:lol:

baitcast - 1-8-2012 at 11:01 AM

:lol::lol: Yours is beautiful check out mine,did you try eating yours,I only lasted one bite.....hot hunk of chewy sponge.:o

This is the mexfish Pic, caught a bunch one winter day,it was a perfect fish for my kids in those days.

[Edited on 1-8-2012 by baitcast]

[Edited on 1-8-2012 by baitcast]

Skipjack Joe - 1-8-2012 at 11:23 AM

I didn't have the nerve to try eating mine. They felt like cabezone and cabezone are the best tasting we have here up north.

I caught more bastards this trip than all of the 64 years put together. I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

We also caught scorpionfish which experienced baja aficionados rate at the very top.

No, we were perfectly happy with leopard grouper fish tacos.

Bob and Susan - 1-8-2012 at 11:36 AM

one of my neighbors caught one of these a few months ago...

what is the real name of this fish since we already saw the BIG mouth:biggrin::biggrin:

baitcast - 1-8-2012 at 11:48 AM

Goes by Jawfish also,they pull about as hard as a wet sock if that much,they don,t even know how to wiggle:lol:
Rob

24baja - 1-8-2012 at 12:14 PM

Nice jawfish, easy to clean with skinnin pliers (like ones you use on catfish) and excellant to eat....great for fish tacos.

Here is one of mine

[Edited on 1-8-2012 by 24baja]

Bob and Susan - 1-8-2012 at 12:23 PM

actually we bbq'ed it for the cat...we were scared of it:lol::lol:

woody with a view - 1-8-2012 at 12:50 PM

nice!

msteve1014 - 1-8-2012 at 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
actually we bbq'ed it for the cat...we were scared of it:lol::lol:

Just from the looks of those things, I think I would have tossed it back and moved the boat to a new spot.

Pescador - 1-8-2012 at 05:03 PM

I am surprised that Alex did not give you all the pertinent information from the Baja Catch like he used to do with me when he was a whopping 5 years old. The relatives are Pabellon which are yellow and brightly colored in the mouth with a hinged jaw. They all lie partially buried in the sand and ambush small fish, or larger fish with their large mouths, and hold the prey until they quit. They are ok if cooked properly but have never really been one of my favorites until I brought about a half a dozen to an old woman in the village who made me the best fish soup I have ever had.

Pompano - 1-8-2012 at 05:17 PM

Igor, bigmouth bastards are quite good if you toss them in the pot with a mud hen, a heron, an owl, and a sopelote.

Melts in your mouth, melts in the gullet, melts in your stomach, and just keeps melting on it's way south...

Skipjack Joe - 1-8-2012 at 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
I am surprised that Alex did not give you all the pertinent information from the Baja Catch like he used to do with me when he was a whopping 5 years old.

He outfished me on this trip, Jim. He now climbs out there with a wetsuit. By reaching those sharp dropoffs at the points he's able to get some pretty decent leopard groupers. It was too windy this day to launch to boat, but we still had fish tacos.

Pompano - 1-8-2012 at 07:08 PM

Igor...I hope Alex is keeping a good photo and script journal.

Roberto - 1-9-2012 at 07:12 PM

They call them Ling Cod in LA Bay, where they can be REALLY thick. personally, I always throw them back.

Roberto - 1-9-2012 at 07:14 PM

That picture is pretty cool. Looks like he's standing on a bunch of Walrus!

LING COD

captkw - 1-9-2012 at 07:17 PM

THAT is NOT a ling !!!

Roberto - 1-9-2012 at 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
THAT is NOT a ling !!!

I know that. That's what they call them in LA Bay (and other places).

LING

captkw - 1-9-2012 at 07:46 PM

Wonder why...

How Bigmouth Bastard Got it's Name

Skipjack Joe - 1-9-2012 at 08:25 PM

Having read it in the "Sea of Cortez" I thought it was given by Ray Cannon. But no -

http://articles.latimes.com/1998/sep/18/sports/sp-24124

Former UCLA biologist Boyd Walker, after all, is the one who bestowed the ignoble title upon this little fish with a disproportionately large mouth, a voracious bottom-dweller, and legendary Baja California author Ray Cannon is the one who made it stick, having written about it often in the 1950s and '60s.

The two fished together several times on collection expeditions in the Sea of Cortez, which resulted in the eventual identification of dozens of new species.

And as the story goes, after one such trip in the mid-1950s, Walker told Cannon that the first rhomalea brought to the university had been misplaced by one of his students. When he asked his class where "that strange-looking fish" went, another student asked Walker which strange-looking fish he was talking about, whereon the professor replied, "You know, that big-mouthed bastard."

If you can imagine, their mouths are as wide as their torso. When you bring them up it's always wide open, resembling a wind sock. They never attempt to close it and it remains open even after they're unhooked. Suprisingly, there appears to be little difference in that regard between the sexes.