BajaNomad

Gonzaga

3464james - 1-13-2012 at 04:56 PM

Does any one know if the construction on the road to Gonzaga has started back up?
Last post I saw was that there was about 12-13 miles to Rancho Grande, left to pave?

David K - 1-13-2012 at 05:26 PM

While at Bahia Santa Maria 12 days ago, a group drove to Alfonsina's for lunch. They reported just under 10 miles from end of pavement to Papa Fernandez' road (or 13 miles from Alfonsina's Pemex/ Rancho Grande).

At the rate they been paving, give them 2 years to get there (10 km./ year)... If they up their rate, then sooner... but why wish such an evil thing to happen to Gonzaga Bay?

Roberto - 1-13-2012 at 06:43 PM

I bet the locals have a different perspective on that.

norte - 1-13-2012 at 07:01 PM

would you feel the same way if it was a road in front of your house? Maybe we should undo all the SD freeways?

David K - 1-13-2012 at 07:08 PM

Locals? Gonzaga Bay 'locals' are people who are there because it is not on a paved road... Oh well, things change. I feel bad for those who wished for their isolation to remain, but they could see it coming.

woody with a view - 1-13-2012 at 07:18 PM

yeah Dave, my good friends wife is an heir to a chuuunk of the Gonzaga Bay. she doesn't know who to sell to, or how much she should command. i can just see the signs now.....:barf:

Roberto - 1-13-2012 at 07:55 PM

Locals as in Mexicans, David. Is that why they are there, because it's not on a paved road. Get a grip. Is it better to not build the road because a couple hundred foreigners will lose some of their isolation? Not from where I'm sitting, though I PERSONALLY would prefer it to remain the way it was/is.

[Edited on 1-14-2012 by Roberto]

woody with a view - 1-13-2012 at 07:57 PM

no Roberto, she has implants and a 3 bedroom home in chula-juana..... but does that matter at all?

Roberto - 1-13-2012 at 08:06 PM

No, Woody, not at all. Implants? :lol::lol:

As I said, I would personally prefer it not to happen. But does THAT matter at all? Building those roads is the right thing to do, for the the people that live there.

Take the commercial traffic. That will be helped a lot by this, and THAT will help all Baja, which will help ... oh never mind.

[Edited on 1-14-2012 by Roberto]

woody with a view - 1-13-2012 at 08:09 PM

agreed. said friends wife couldn't care if she ever goes back to Gonzaga......

who am i to judge? the implants are REALLY impressive, if you like those kind of things.....:?::light::P

coloradoboardheads - 1-14-2012 at 09:07 AM

I just drove through Gonzaga Bay last weekend. There is only about 10 miles of gravel road left north of Fernendez Road to the new pavement as noted above.

No additional road prepwork was proceeding south of the pavement and no large equipment was observed. Maybe done for awhile?

It is sort of the best of both worlds now...Still too rough for many, but offers a great short cut for some of us through some of the best of Baja! Speaking as Gringo of course!

bonanza bucko - 1-14-2012 at 09:10 AM

The new pavement of THAT ROAD will bring commerce and more prosperity to the Mexicans who have lived and fished here for all these years. You can see that starting to happen as you drive down the parts of THAT ROAD that have been completed. It's really too bad that us Gringos have been so prosperous and pampered for so long by our interstate highway system and good local public utilities...sewer, water, gas, phone etc. etc....that we can't see how those miracles will help the people of Baja and Gonzaga Bay.

But they will also change it for the worse while they are changing it for the better. We will be able to drive in comfort and safety to San Felipe to shop in under two hours! WOW!...that used to take most of a day. Now yer basic crowd of idiots in camper shells will be able to make it for a three day weekend all the way from Fullerton, ferheavinsakes! Some of us have been flying in and out of Gonzaga Bay for 40 years + because that was the only way you could get there on a weekend and the new camper crowd will never understand that....some will think that the runway, under water at the high tide, is a good place to fish. They won't understand what those airplanes are doing parked up there about an inch above the water.

Change is change. I will miss THAT ROAD when it's completely gone. Nobody will remember how bad it really was. Nobody will know what "The Tres Marias" are or what the Ray Grove RIP was...all gone. Nobody will remember how you crawled up over two foot boulders as you climbed the first hill out of Clara's Puertecitos Paradise. Nobody will believe that we usually saw mountain sheep and longhorns casually watching us crawl slowly by. Nobody will really know what it's like to spend a day and a night pulling a boat trailer the fifty miles from Puertecitos to Alfy's. Nobody will feel the dust of Baja the way we felt it....and which will never wash off.

But...on the brighter side: My best friends in the canyons and draws along the new road are gonna participate in the new "commerce" too. There are bandidos sitting around a fire polishing their pistolas and waxing their mustachios and singing "Coo, Coo, Coo, Coo Coo la Paloma" in the moonlight. They are waiting for a fat Gringo in a Cadillac to stop and take a leak so they can stick him up. There are chupacabras up there who haven't found a goat to suck all the blood out of for years and years so they are hungry for some happy little Maltese dawgs to get out of those fat Cadillacs. These buddies of mine usually let a pickup truck go because they know it belongs here...especially if it rattles and has some rust on it.

Nobody will remember.

BB

willardguy - 1-14-2012 at 10:28 AM

wait a minute, what really changed the face of gonzaga bay? was it the hotel? the market? the pemex station? the new road? or was it jim atkins landing his cessna there in 1958? Im always amused when I hear the story of these hearty pioneers flying down for the weekend (after all that was the only way to get there). Imagine an aerial view of gonzaga bay in 1958 and look at it today. who left the scars? now we have"yer basic crowd of idiots in camper shells"a comin! gimmeabreak!

[Edited on 1-14-2012 by willardguy]

David K - 1-14-2012 at 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bonanza bucko
The new pavement of THAT ROAD will bring commerce and more prosperity to the Mexicans who have lived and fished here for all these years. You can see that starting to happen as you drive down the parts of THAT ROAD that have been completed. It's really too bad that us Gringos have been so prosperous and pampered for so long by our interstate highway system and good local public utilities...sewer, water, gas, phone etc. etc....that we can't see how those miracles will help the people of Baja and Gonzaga Bay.

But they will also change it for the worse while they are changing it for the better. We will be able to drive in comfort and safety to San Felipe to shop in under two hours! WOW!...that used to take most of a day. Now yer basic crowd of idiots in camper shells will be able to make it for a three day weekend all the way from Fullerton, ferheavinsakes! Some of us have been flying in and out of Gonzaga Bay for 40 years + because that was the only way you could get there on a weekend and the new camper crowd will never understand that....some will think that the runway, under water at the high tide, is a good place to fish. They won't understand what those airplanes are doing parked up there about an inch above the water.

Change is change. I will miss THAT ROAD when it's completely gone. Nobody will remember how bad it really was. Nobody will know what "The Tres Marias" are or what the Ray Grove RIP was...all gone. Nobody will remember how you crawled up over two foot boulders as you climbed the first hill out of Clara's Puertecitos Paradise. Nobody will believe that we usually saw mountain sheep and longhorns casually watching us crawl slowly by. Nobody will really know what it's like to spend a day and a night pulling a boat trailer the fifty miles from Puertecitos to Alfy's. Nobody will feel the dust of Baja the way we felt it....and which will never wash off.

But...on the brighter side: My best friends in the canyons and draws along the new road are gonna participate in the new "commerce" too. There are bandidos sitting around a fire polishing their pistolas and waxing their mustachios and singing "Coo, Coo, Coo, Coo Coo la Paloma" in the moonlight. They are waiting for a fat Gringo in a Cadillac to stop and take a leak so they can stick him up. There are chupacabras up there who haven't found a goat to suck all the blood out of for years and years so they are hungry for some happy little Maltese dawgs to get out of those fat Cadillacs. These buddies of mine usually let a pickup truck go because they know it belongs here...especially if it rattles and has some rust on it.

Nobody will remember.

BB

Love this BB!!! :bounce:

David K - 1-14-2012 at 12:38 PM

Gonzaga Bay in 1975 (also L.A. Bay, San Borja, El Marmol):

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2404313/197507-Desert-Magazine-197...

(on pages 20-23)

john68 - 1-15-2012 at 10:07 AM

We're driving from Colorado to Los Barriles next week. Still trying to decide if we should go Hwy 5 vs Hwy 1.

We're in a Dodge Durango 4wd and towing a light sailboat.

We'd like to see some new country and the thought of reducing the drive by a couple hundred miles is appealing. On the other hand, if the 50 miles of washboard is going to take five hours to drive, I'm starting to wonder.

Any more thoughts?

Thanks to all. John

bonanza bucko - 1-15-2012 at 10:54 AM

John68:
I'm sorry if my tongue in cheek post above about the OLD 50 miles from Puertecitos to Gonzaga Bay spooked you. You very definitely should go that way...it is a beautiful trip and it is paved to within about 14 miles of Alfonsina's turn off at Gonzaga Bay. That last 14 miles have been graded and they are an order of magnitude better than THAT ROAD described in my post above. Your trip from San Felipe through Puertecitos to Gonzaga Bay should take you something like 2.5 hours...but you'll stop to take pictures a lot so expect a little more.

After Gonzaga Bay there are 31 miles of graded dirt...some washboard...to Mexican Highway 1 at Lake Chapala. You will stop a Coco's corner for a beer and to look Coco and his set up over. Those 31 miles will take you about 1.5 hours...not counting the stop at Coco's.

My post above was an epitaph for the old THAT ROAD...which was as I described it..but it ain't no more!

BB:-)

bonanza bucko - 1-15-2012 at 10:57 AM

Another reply for John68:

Your sailboat trailer will cause some problems on the 14 miles and the 31 miles of dirt. You can make it but go slowly....and be sure, double sure, to have a spare tire and wheel for the boat trailer. Boat trailers don't like washboard at all and the really don't like twisting over rocks which you will find in a couple of places in the 14 miles just north of Gonzaga Bay. Guys make that trip with trailers all the time but the ones who do it and have a good time a well prepared.

BB:)

grizzlyfsh95 - 1-15-2012 at 11:46 AM

You will save no time, even though it is a shorter route. You will need to "air down" your tires, and watch for sharp rocks. It is not well traveled, there are NO support services. You will need a compresser to "re-air" once you hit 1 at "Lake" Chapala as the llantero there, isn't. I think it is more like 2-21/2 hrs across there. If that road was ever paved, it would make that whole area, including BOLA more economically viable.

David K - 1-15-2012 at 04:20 PM

If they aren't pretending to be in the Baja 1000, they will do fine on the 50 dirt miles. However, if they have a fear of dirt roads (why go to Baja?), then they can go to Tecate then south. However, someday they will need to go somewhere that requires dirt driving... might as well be now?

Go slow, check for loose nuts and bolts every 25 miles, have a tire pump (pretty mandatory for Baja travel), lower tires to 20 psi to reduce chance of sharp rock punctures.

The beautity of the Cortez side of Baja is a reward and some rough road more than makes up for city driving through Ensenada and San Quintin, IMO.:cool:

Roberto - 1-15-2012 at 06:14 PM

Jeez, dk. I hardly think it's fair to say that if you don't want to drive dirt roads (or are unequipped for it), why go to Baja? I thought yoU were the pied piper of Baja? Promoting tourism and wishing everyone would do all they can to bring income south?

My first trip, with my family and a Coleman pop up camper in July, was one of the best I've eve had. And aside from the stretch between the town of Bahia and La Gringa, and the road between San Jose del Cabo and La Ribera, we saw no dirt whatsoever!

I know you're into YOUR way of doing things, but there's a whole world out there, and many different ways to enjoy onself. For example, I still don't give flying flock about the Missions, lost or otherwise.

[Edited on 1-16-2012 by Roberto]

john68 - 1-15-2012 at 07:48 PM

thanks to everyone for the clarification on the road conditions from Gonzaga to Hwy 1. I read somewhere that it was a five-hour ordeal and that is a little much for me. We're accustomed to washboard roads in the East Cape and forest service roads in Colorado, but we're not equipped with serious skid plates and a winch and wanted to be sure that wasn't the case.

We're anxious to see some new scenery.

thanks, again.

John

woody with a view - 1-15-2012 at 07:51 PM

hey jonh. i doubt you'll need a winch (wench?) or skidplate on that road. pucker up and check it out. just go slow(er) with a trailer.

john68 - 1-15-2012 at 07:57 PM

Woody--

I'll be taking my wench of 44 years duration, but no winch, and will take it slow.

thanks.

John

woody with a view - 1-15-2012 at 08:00 PM

attaboy! take some pics and report back when you return.

bonanza bucko - 1-15-2012 at 08:02 PM

John68:
You will not!!....need skid plates or a winch. We drove the old THAT ROAD before it was fixed for years without them and you certainly don't need them now. David K has given you the numbers from Puertecitos to Gonzaga Bay and on to Highway one...they are accurate. On the 14 miles of road south of Puertecitos to Gonzaga Bay there are only two or three spots where you will have to be careful with your trailer. There is washboard too...14 miles of it to Gonzaga Bay and another 31-35 to Mex 1. But it has been graded pretty well. If you go slow your trailer should be OK..just bring spares.

The good part of the road south of Puertecitos is newly paved and if it were four lanes it would be a freeway...no problema.!!.

Just go.

BB

john68 - 1-15-2012 at 08:03 PM

thanks, again, for all the great advice.

I'll let you know how it goes.

John

Marc - 1-16-2012 at 07:15 AM

Made my bones on "that road". Rattled apart my bull guard in two places and put a dent in my skid plate that my mechanic said was 1/8" away from major damage. Guess I was going along a bit to fast. Someday soon all will be just a memory. Ya can't stop progress. Look a BOLA.

David K - 1-16-2012 at 04:16 PM

Here is the road log San Felipe to Laguna Chapala I did last July.... Note that the End of Pavement has since been extended to approx. Mile 32.0, near Campo Delfines:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following road log was made on the July 4th weekend, 2011.

MILE / KM. Marker

0.0 San Felipe (Traffic Circle by Pemex stations, south turn)

0.8 Pemex station and market on south side of town

6.0 Left Turn off Airport Road, Km. 0
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(add 6.0 miles to following for distance from traffic circle)

The next 45 miles are well paved, but many short, steep and unmarked dips will require reduced speed to avoid damage.

0.0 / Km. 0 Airport Road/ Puertecitos Road Jcn.

12.5 / Km. 20-21 Rancho Percebu Road

15.7 / Km. 26+ Shell Island Road

18.6 / Km. 31 Bahia Santa Maria Road

19.3 / Km. 32+ Nuevo Mazatlan Road

21.5 / Km. 35.5 Colonia Delicias (markets/ restaurants)

29.6 / Km. 49 El Coloradito Road

32.8 / Km. 54 Campo Cristina Road

35.4 / Km. 58.5 Los Olivos Road

36.1 / Km. 60 Arroyo Matomi

36.3 Rancho San Rafael (well)

43.4 / Km. 72 Playa Destiny

44.9 / Km. 74+ PUERTECITOS (paved) Road
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The newest paved additions to Hwy. 5 are well engineered, wide and are designed and signed for high speed. However, frequent rock slides onto pavement require caution.

0.0 / Km. 74+ Puertecitos Road

5.0 / Km. 83 Bahia Cristina

6.1 / Km. 84.5 La Costilla

7.2 mine road

16.4 El Huerfanito Road

18.9 Bridge at previous end of pavement (July 2010)

20.1 / Km. 311 Change of Km. markers, distance from Mexicali

23.6 / Km. 317

24.1 / Km. 318 END OF PAVED DRIVE JULY 3, 2011, detour onto older road, regraded smooth. Pavement ends just ahead on new roadbed.

25.5 Okie Landing site.

32.0 END OF NEW ROAD CONSTRUCTION and end of smooth dirt detour on older road. *APPROX. END OF PAVED DRIVE JAN. 1, 2012

32.4 Campo Delfines Road

35.6 Las Encantadas Road

37.7 Punta Bufeo Road

42.4 Papa Fernandez' Road, roadbed south of here is better/ faster.

43.6 Miltary Checkpoint

45.0 GONZAGA BAY PEMEX/ ALFONSINA'S ROAD/ RANCHO GRANDE MARKET (Pemex closed from 2-4 pm for siesta)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0.0 Gonzaga Bay Pemex

1.2 Road left to Campo Beluga (2.0 mi.) and El Sacrificio (4.2 mi.)

7.1 Road right to Las Palmitas Oasis (4.7 mi.) and Santa Maria Canyon (4.0 mi.).

14.4 First Boojum Trees on Hwy. 5.

14.6 La Turquesa Canyon Road, right.

18.4 Las Arrastras (site) Road, right.

22.1 Coco's Corner (Puerto Calamajue and Mision Calamajue road left).

34.8 Hwy. 1, Laguna Chapala (Cataviña is 33 miles north).

san felipe - gonzaga bay - hwy 1

eddie - 1-17-2012 at 09:54 PM

we were told "it's a rough road... just take it slowly." that's an understatement! we did it in a '92 f250 w/ a cabover camper - ouch! maybe if we'd just had a new truck + camper shell;)
we've a healthy respect for all the amigos who've done this over the years, especially those who maneuvered their 5th wheels & travel trailers all the way to the beautiful bay! coco told us 'back in the day,' it would have taken us over a week to make this same trip. fyi, took an hr and a half from campo los delfines (end of paved road) to pemex at rancho grande... today's trek took almost 5 hrs to get from there back over to hwy 1 (with brief visit at coco's corner). other than cabinets opening & dumping contents twice, it was a very slow trip thru beautiful, rugged scenery - surprisingly green, perfect temps. made it to g.n. safe & sound but suggest you take hwy 1 with your boat! onward to 'clam bay'...

p.s. - air for tires

eddie - 1-17-2012 at 10:13 PM

very nice man (llantera) with compressor a km. or so south of lake chapala road on hwy 1 - he was happy to provide air to reinflate our tires.

Bajamatic - 1-18-2012 at 10:34 AM

very nice man (llantera) with compressor a km. or so south of lake chapala road on hwy 1 - he was happy to provide air to reinflate our tires.

That guys the man. He's helped us before.

bigzaggin - 1-18-2012 at 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by eddie

I think Bajamatic meant to quote (not copy), but I echo both of your sentiments. And I believe that man's name is Miguel.

Bajamatic - 1-18-2012 at 10:49 AM

:bounce:

bigzaggin - 1-18-2012 at 10:54 AM

:lol:

coloradoboardheads - 1-18-2012 at 01:09 PM

I would not pull a small trailer on that road unless the goal was to stay in Gonzaga Bay.

I just drove the road a week ago in a Toyota Tundra with fox shocks. No problem,..I was able to drive fast to "smooth out the bumps". With a lightly loaded trailer you will need to go very slowly.

If you do decide to go that route, be sure that you carefully pad any metal objects the could come in contact with your boat or you could get some damage.

For what it's worth, I live in Western Colorado and drive hundreds, probably thousands of miles of washboard per year.

mcfez - 1-25-2012 at 10:14 PM

That road is GREAT. Take a few days to drive it...as the sights are endless...and things to do ...more so.

We have been broken down on the road...some miles past Coco's a few years back. Found help! There is always somebody who will indeed...drive by.

Be a shame for you NOT to drive this route.

Quote:
Originally posted by john68
thanks to everyone for the clarification on the road conditions from Gonzaga to Hwy 1. I read somewhere that it was a five-hour ordeal and that is a little much for me. We're accustomed to washboard roads in the East Cape and forest service roads in Colorado, but we're not equipped with serious skid plates and a winch and wanted to be sure that wasn't the case.

We're anxious to see some new scenery.

thanks, again.

John

David K - 1-26-2012 at 09:25 AM

It is a 2WD GRADED dirt highway... no skid plates or winches needed. Because it has the typical 'washboard' surface, if you tow over it, slow down and check for loosened nuts and bolts. There is only about 48 miles unpaved between Puertecitos and Hwy. 1... from Campo Delfines to Laguna Chapala.

Sweetwater - 1-29-2012 at 02:26 PM

Just spoke to a friend who has been through Gonzaga in the last 2 weeks.

He tells me the Pemex was out of gasoline.....can anybody confirm this?

Do they expect a delivery and will they have magna....plan to pass through in 2 weeks or so...

David K - 1-29-2012 at 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sweetwater

Do they expect a delivery and will they have magna....plan to pass through in 2 weeks or so...

You should always plan on no gas south of San Felipe. If the Pemex is out, check across the road at Rancho Grande where they used to sell gas before the Pemex was opened. They can only sell gas now when the Pemex is out.

Top your tank in San Felipe... Gonzaga is 100 miles south.

The next Pemex south of Gonzaga is Bahia de los Angeles and Villa Jesus Maria, then the Eagle Monument/ Guerrero Negro.

ALSO, independent dealers sell gas from cans at the Bahia de los Angeles Jcn. on Hwy. 1.

Gas was also advertised at Laguna Chapala, just 36 miles from Gonzaga Bay. Again, don't count on it... be prepared... have gas for 300 miles when you fill up and expect at least 200 miles between gas supplies, just in case!

Sweetwater - 1-30-2012 at 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

You should always plan on no gas south of San Felipe. If the Pemex is out, check across the road at Rancho Grande where they used to sell gas before the Pemex was opened. They can only sell gas now when the Pemex is out.

The next Pemex south of Gonzaga is Bahia de los Angeles and Villa Jesus Maria, then the Eagle Monument/ Guerrero Negro.

ALSO, independent dealers sell gas from cans at the Bahia de los Angeles Jcn. on Hwy. 1.

Gas was also advertised at Laguna Chapala, just 36 miles from Gonzaga Bay. Again, don't count on it... be prepared... have gas for 300 miles when you fill up and expect at least 200 miles between gas supplies, just in case!

Wow, thanks, last year must have been an anomaly.......there was gas in Puertocitas and Gonzaga.....we'll need to carry some extra....Goal is San Felipe to BOLA on day 2....

David K - 1-30-2012 at 06:14 PM

Not sure what your driving or how big a tank you have or what your mileage is... but unless you have some extra gas cans (fill in Mexico)... just be aware of the locations of gas and that Pemex stations in central Baja often run out... briefly, but it can mess up a trip if you need to camp out in a gas staion line instead of the beach!

rts551 - 1-30-2012 at 07:05 PM

Quote:
Not sure what your driving or how big a tank you have or what your mileage is... but unless you have some extra gas cans (fill in Mexico)... just be aware of the locations of gas and that Pemex stations in central Baja often run out... briefly, but it can mess up a trip if you need to camp out in a gas staion line instead of the beach!

PEMEX stations OFTEN run out????

David K - 1-30-2012 at 11:23 PM

In Puertecitos and Gonzaga Bay, yes!

mcfez - 2-2-2012 at 09:12 AM

If I may add this ...........

Clara at Puertecitos has gas a great deal of the time. If the station "looks" closed....walk to the rear and look for the attendant. Or...go over to the Puertecitos Camp and ask them to open the pumps for you. This town is an hour or so south of San Felipe.

Gonzaga Bay......where the Duke(John Wayne) used to fish for totouva back in the day.... with Papa Fernández.

Quote:
Quote:

[Edited on 2-2-2012 by mcfez]

duke.jpg - 42kB

rts551 - 2-2-2012 at 09:25 AM

Quote:
In Puertecitos and Gonzaga Bay, yes!

Your previous statement

"just be aware of the locations of gas and that Pemex stations in central Baja often run out... briefly, but it can mess up a trip if you need to camp out in a gas staion line instead of the beach! "

must be an exaggeration then?

David K - 2-2-2012 at 02:55 PM

Maybe because I have been going to Baja so many more years is why I advise caution on expecting everything to work in Baja. Specially a government controlled monopoly like Pemex. The conservative way is to plan for such and not hope the government to provide all.

motoged - 2-2-2012 at 03:17 PM

Gas in Baja....it's always best to keep the top half of the tank full....do NOT pass a Pemex or other fuel supplier if you are less than half full.:saint: :light:

Just sayin"...

rts551 - 2-2-2012 at 04:15 PM

Quote:
Maybe because I have been going to Baja so many more years is why I advise caution on expecting everything to work in Baja. Specially a government controlled monopoly like Pemex. The conservative way is to plan for such and not hope the government to provide all.

so many more years than who? Not me senor.

And you know what...There were people there way before our family ever went. Some post on this board

[Edited on 2-2-2012 by rts551]

mcfez - 2-2-2012 at 04:58 PM

The conservative way is to plan for such and not hope....

:light:

rts551 - 2-2-2012 at 05:03 PM

Fact is that the PEMEX stations in central Baja SOMETIMES run out. Not OFTEN as the previous knee-jerk response stated.

paranewbi - 2-2-2012 at 05:15 PM

rts551
when it's not there for you...that's TO often
slept in my share of stations..
Also once lowered a can with my fishing pole down into the unsecured undergound tank at the closed station by the Bola turn off...got enough to get me to the next station. Made the kids do the catchin'.

Skipjack Joe - 2-2-2012 at 05:59 PM

I've always been able to get gas at Gonzaga.

The last time we found an empty Pemex was at San Ignacio. Nothing to do but sit on the steps of that little mercado next door and beg.

After 2 days we took a chance on Vizcaino and hit the mother lode. Gas everywhere. Brought tears of joy to my eyes.

Sweetwater - 2-2-2012 at 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
I've always been able to get gas at Gonzaga.

The last time we found an empty Pemex was at San Ignacio. Nothing to do but sit on the steps of that little mercado next door and beg.

After 2 days we took a chance on Vizcaino and hit the mother lode. Gas everywhere. Brought tears of joy to my eyes.

We'll need to fill up there for the run to San Juanico.....is there a forecast for Baja mogas in the next three weeks? The map shows all these station locations but doesn't update whether they have it or are open.........:?:

bajalou - 2-2-2012 at 06:44 PM

Before the Pemex, we had to wait overnight one time for Rancho Grande to get some gas. (no big deal as it was late in the day anyway). But it can happen anywhere and about anytime.

David K - 2-2-2012 at 06:51 PM

Exactly my friends... why chance it... specially if you value your vacation time to not waste a second at an empty Pemex station!

coloradoboardheads - 2-2-2012 at 07:28 PM

Sweetwater...

We just drove up from Ciudad through San Juanito and San Ignacio several weeks ago. The "gas station" at San Juanito was pretty informal...cans of gas at a grocery. I worried about the quality and with dozens of miles of backroads skipped topping off there. I had no problem getting through San Ignacio and on to GN for fuel with a Toyota Tundra V8.

We also had no trouble getting to San Felipe on the next tank. Gonzaga Pemex was closed at 4:00 that day.

I do carry a couple 5 gal. containers just in case.

FWIW, a couple years back a delivery problem had no fuel at Jesus Maria, GN or San Ign. I somehow made it from San Q to S Rosalita!

[Edited on 2-3-2012 by coloradoboardheads]

Roberto - 2-2-2012 at 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Fact is that the PEMEX stations in central Baja SOMETIMES run out. Not OFTEN as the previous knee-jerk response stated.

Rts I rarely agree with DK, but this time he is correct. The stations in puertecitos are often closed or out of fuel. If they do have it and are closed it's just a matter of finding the operators (usually) but if they are out ... I'm sure you know this to be correct.

Personally, I carry 95 gallons of diesel on my truck, so as long as I am full at one end I can get to the other. Baja insurance. Less necessary than it used to be, but nice to have.

rts551 - 2-2-2012 at 08:12 PM

I agree, with many of you. in years past fuel could be a problem anywhere. And still is in a few out of the way places. I only took exception to David's characterization that central baja OFTEN runs out of fuel. Kindal like there is (or isn't) crime everywhere in Mexico. Myself, I seldom carry extra diesel anymore (except in my garage) and I have never run out.

Ralph

[Edited on 2-3-2012 by rts551]

Skipjack Joe - 2-2-2012 at 08:56 PM

Ralph,

I can remember in the 80's (83) where one gas station in Loreto had gas and the other didn't. And just after you figured out which was which the reverse would be true.

But we never sweated it too much because vacations were long and this was the expected.

Things are different now and we're all on a schedule. A hiccup and everything comes to a halt.

I'm not saying the past is better than the present. I'm saying some of the past is still here now.

mcfez - 2-3-2012 at 08:39 AM

I always carry two Jerry Cans............just to kept that "fear monster" off my back.

can.jpeg - 8kB

rts551 - 2-3-2012 at 08:53 AM

Quote:
Ralph,

I can remember in the 80's (83) where one gas station in Loreto had gas and the other didn't. And just after you figured out which was which the reverse would be true.

But we never sweated it too much because vacations were long and this was the expected.

Things are different now and we're all on a schedule. A hiccup and everything comes to a halt.

I'm not saying the past is better than the present. I'm saying some of the past is still here now.

Igor,
Maybe that is the difference, I am not on a schedule.
Geeze does that make me something in the past?

Ralph

Sweetwater - 2-3-2012 at 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by coloradoboardheads
Sweetwater...

We just drove up from Ciudad through San Juanito and San Ignacio several weeks ago. The "gas station" at San Juanito was pretty informal...cans of gas at a grocery. I worried about the quality and with dozens of miles of backroads skipped topping off there. I had no problem getting through San Ignacio and on to GN for fuel with a Toyota Tundra V8.

We also had no trouble getting to San Felipe on the next tank. Gonzaga Pemex was closed at 4:00 that day.

I do carry a couple 5 gal. containers just in case.

FWIW, a couple years back a delivery problem had no fuel at Jesus Maria, GN or San Ign. I somehow made it from San Q to S Rosalita!

[Edited on 2-3-2012 by coloradoboardheads]

Thanks to all replies......but.....youse guyz are spoiled in your crates....we're riding motos and those jerry cans are more than the entire capacity of each bike....I'll have a couple extra liter bottles of fuel and hope to get > 40 mpg on the road....

I know where the Immigration office is when you cross at San Luis Rio, it's on the northwest side. Someone thought Algodones is a better crossing site but I have no idea where to buy the FMM's at that location. Anybody know?

bajalou - 2-3-2012 at 11:51 AM

The bank is 1/2 block beyond Inmigration which is on you're right immediately after entering Mexico. (Algodones)

jadams - 2-24-2012 at 11:21 AM

Went to Gonzaga on 2-22-12. Took one hour from the campo, KM33.5 to the end on the paved road. I was towing my tin boat and it took one hour to go the 8 miles to papa fernandez's place
Fishing was not great

dizzyspots - 2-24-2012 at 02:01 PM

so only 8 miles of old dirt left...

BajaWarrior - 2-24-2012 at 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dizzyspots
so only 8 miles of old dirt left...

12 miles from end of pavement to Alfonsinas door is what we got last month from a lunch run with some other vehicles.

Cypress - 2-24-2012 at 02:33 PM

Glad I made it thru before it got smoothed-out and paved. :P

David K - 2-24-2012 at 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jadams
Went to Gonzaga on 2-22-12. Took one hour from the campo, KM33.5 to the end on the paved road. I was towing my tin boat and it took one hour to go the 8 miles to papa fernandez's place
Fishing was not great

Km. 33.5 ? Is that near LA ROCA?

jadams - 2-25-2012 at 05:13 PM

33.5KM is Campo Delicias, south of La Roca
JIm

woody with a view - 2-25-2012 at 10:38 PM

Quote:

WOW! quote of the week! i set my vacation to the clock on my dash. so far, my clock hasn't led me astray....

:cool:

Oh yes!

mcfez - 2-28-2012 at 08:20 AM

I was just re reading this topic..."the (llantera) with compressor a km. or so south of lake chapala road on hwy 1"......I believe this is the same place that helped us in the middle of the night!

Our Land Rover got a flat tire pass Coco's ....a handful of miles towards H1. The lug-nuts were frozen on ...bad news. 10 at night, a car came by...and we hitched a ride to this llantera we are talking about.

The place is a small house and a shop....that looked absolutely "past tense". No way there be anyone there living or working...the joint is in ruins.

Best help I ever had! The kid got the Rover wheel busted off....and then at his "shop".....he fixed the flat. All in the middle of night. He tried to charge us $20.00. We gave him a 100 bill.

Ya...one can get help just about anywhere and any time in Baja, it seems.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajamatic

That guys the man. He's helped us before.

Elizzabizzy - 3-8-2012 at 09:09 PM

Quote:
John68:
I'm sorry if my tongue in cheek post above about the OLD 50 miles from Puertecitos to Gonzaga Bay spooked you. You very definitely should go that way...it is a beautiful trip and it is paved to within about 14 miles of Alfonsina's turn off at Gonzaga Bay. That last 14 miles have been graded and they are an order of magnitude better than THAT ROAD described in my post above. Your trip from San Felipe through Puertecitos to Gonzaga Bay should take you something like 2.5 hours...but you'll stop to take pictures a lot so expect a little more.

After Gonzaga Bay there are 31 miles of graded dirt...some washboard...to Mexican Highway 1 at Lake Chapala. You will stop a Coco's corner for a beer and to look Coco and his set up over. Those 31 miles will take you about 1.5 hours...not counting the stop at Coco's.

My post above was an epitaph for the old THAT ROAD...which was as I described it..but it ain't no more!

I wish the forum had a "Like" Button, luv your posts reminiscing about some of those bygone times and your Ode to the Old Road. While I haven't traveled The Baja for as long as you, I certainly do remember the heydays of the old Flying Sportsman's Lodge and La Serenidad, it's such a shame what's happened to those fabulous places...

Sweetwater - 3-8-2012 at 10:30 PM

bizzy,

The new reality of Baja is that more and more folks who run faster and faster are on their way to the new and improved (paved) Baja.......I just finished a moto ride with 3 other riders....one of whom left the group after 48 hours.....because he felt constrained by the speeds.......his goal is to run to Cabo and back to the states in 6 days......cause that will constitute a real Baja experience.........for him...........

It was a 10 day trip of 12 compressed days planned.....and a lot of Baja ignored in the name of "riding" and speed......

David K - 3-9-2012 at 12:05 AM

I did a thread (or two) on the old road and where it is compared to Hwy. 1 between El Rosario and Cabo San Lucas. Did that trip in 1966, and while I was only 8-9 years old, I remember it well! Baja has been a big part of my life ever since our first trip to Gonzaga Bay in 1965!

dysco - 3-25-2012 at 12:09 PM

Info good as of 3.18.12.

Machines on the dirt just north of the checkpoint near Rancho Grande. Wet sand for a couple hundred yards where the work is and fresh graded roads to somewhere around Coco's. Difficult for motos who aren't well versed in sand riding, gravy in a truck. Pay attention to the 3-cone detour off the pavement going south, air down, and it's drama-free.

[Edited on 3-25-2012 by dysco]

redhilltown - 3-28-2012 at 11:57 PM

Wow! That means it is either paved or well graded road all the way to Papa Fernandez now. I'm not happy about it and it still makes no sense, but I'll give them credit for actually doing it!

I wonder what a room at the Gonzaga Bay Four Seasons will cost???

(ah....maybe it DOES make sense....)

mrfatboy - 3-29-2012 at 05:54 AM

Out of curiosity, what does everybody air down to for traveling to GB on this final stretch? I'm in a 2005 Nissan pathfinder 4wd.

bufeo - 3-29-2012 at 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrfatboy
Out of curiosity, what does everybody air down to for traveling to GB on this final stretch? I'm in a 2005 Nissan pathfinder 4wd.

My rule of thumb is air-down to 50% of highway psi. This might vary a bit depending on the load.

Allen R.

bonanza bucko - 3-29-2012 at 07:37 AM

Depends on the load and your tires. But about 29# works on an F150 with BFG TAs and a light load.

BB

bonanza bucko - 3-29-2012 at 07:44 AM

The road to GB is lots better....no more Tres Marias, miles and miles of washboard, sharp rocks (well, only a few left) and other bad stuff.

BUT...you must alway remember the Chupacabras up in the barancas and bandidos up there polishing their pistolas and waxing their mustachios in preparation for a fat Gringo in a Cadillac to stop to admire the new road and take a leak. These guys are friends of mine and they have been waiting to get rich sticking up fat Gringos for about 200 years. They sing Coo, coo, coo, coo coo, la Paloma in the moonlight but they are always off key.

Then, when you have finally made it to Gonzaga Bay, you will find polluted beaches, trash all over the place, local Mexicans charging about $50 per hour to camp, lousy fishing, scorpions in your shoes, sting rays in the surf and 100 mph winds every night. The place is not what is advertised. If I were you I'd simply go to Buena Park or Bell Gardens for the weekend....much nicer places.

TMW - 3-29-2012 at 07:48 AM

Sounds like my kind of place, see you in a month.

bonanza bucko - 3-29-2012 at 08:01 AM

TW...well, since you are an Elite Nomad, you can come because you obviously are ready to cope with the place. Besides, we don't have any guys here who qualify as "elite" anything. Most are fat and ugly and smell like fish guts.
BB

Hook - 3-29-2012 at 08:44 AM

Quote:
Depends on the load and your tires. But about 29# works on an F150 with BFG TAs and a light load.

BB

Is that load range C or D tires?

I have C's on my Jeep and 29 would still be too stiff a ride. I run around on dirt roads at about 23-24.

redhilltown - 3-29-2012 at 08:50 AM

BB...you forgot about the horrific air pollution and the bumper to bumper traffic!!!

I usually air down to 20psi and I have a stock Tacoma 31" tires...maybe a bit more if a long long washboard road and a bit less if a short haul. Just have that good compressor handy when it's time to air back up.

David K - 3-29-2012 at 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrfatboy

If a graded road has rocks in the base, washboard surface... then to save tires I believe the air down rule is valid... to 20-25 psi for my mid-size truck on these Hankook Dynapro tires (normal pavement pressure is 38 psi with max. of 44 psi).

I have not followed this rule very well, and sadly, I have had a number of rock punctures on graded roads in Baja (most in the Gonzaga Bay to Laguna Chapala section or the Punta San Carlos road).

Mostly flats happen with the stock BFG tires (Rugged Trail TA), but even on the Dynapro, driving fast on the well pipeline road out from La Ventana (south of Mexicali) got a rock puncture... Baja Angel was driving, so I can blame it on that, right?

Air down on dirt roads, and even more for deep sand (15 psi). Have a air pump that connects to the battery to fill up fast. The cigarette lighter connect ones are much slower.
5-6 psi per minute vs. 2 psi per minute. If you need to put 18 psi back in the tires, 3 minutes per tire sure beats 9 minutes per tire!

cj5orion - 3-29-2012 at 04:58 PM

HOPEFULLY ?????
Goin to Gonzaga for the Easter "party"
Anybody else ???

dizzyspots - 3-29-2012 at 06:22 PM

Easter Party?/?

Desertbull - 3-30-2012 at 10:14 PM

I'm going "thru" to Bahia de Los Angeles via Calamajue :cool:

redhilltown - 3-30-2012 at 11:13 PM

Hey Bull...would love to hear how Calamajue is. Couple years ago it was just a few guys in a "fish camp". But they helped us beach launch our Valco. Windy yes so we didn't go far but rounding the point and looking south was amazing.......what a gloriously beautiful stretch of cliffs and nothingness...and I mean nothingness is THE most positive use of the term!

David K - 3-31-2012 at 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by redhilltown
Hey Bull...would love to hear how Calamajue is. Couple years ago it was just a few guys in a "fish camp". But they helped us beach launch our Valco. Windy yes so we didn't go far but rounding the point and looking south was amazing.......what a gloriously beautiful stretch of cliffs and nothingness...and I mean nothingness is THE most positive use of the term!

My guess is that Desert Bull means Calamajue Canyon as in the original gulf coast road south, past the mill and mission site.

redhilltown - 3-31-2012 at 01:28 PM

Ah...my bad!

David K - 3-31-2012 at 06:19 PM

Maybe he drove into the cove, too? Tim??

redhilltown - 3-31-2012 at 10:45 PM

Oh...THAT road! Where the mud and water are just a TAD bit deeper than they really look? Thank god for tow ropes and granny low in reverse... but a great great adventure.

David K - 3-31-2012 at 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by redhilltown
Oh...THAT road! Where the mud and water are just a TAD bit deeper than they really look? Thank god for tow ropes and granny low in reverse... but a great great adventure.

Yah, that road... wasn't always that deep... but run a few Baja 1000s through it and there you go!

Here I am my first time through (with mom and dad) in 1967 (9 1/2)... I am standing by a wood beam at the gold ore mill site, overlooking the Calamajue valley and canyon entrance. (the mission site is across the arroyo on the opposite side)

In Nov., 2009 (I was 22) and driving my Subaru, pre-running the Baja 1000 on the first section I was going to drive (San Matias to El Crucero)... This is Calamajue Canyon then (and still 'Hwy. 5' until the Laguna Chapala to Pto. Calamajue graded road was built about 3 years later):