BajaNomad

Van- Diaz Pangas

jamesbeck - 1-13-2012 at 06:50 PM

Are they still building them in Barrilles? the vandiazboats.com website doesn't work. Thanks, Jim

Pescador - 1-13-2012 at 07:36 PM

Yes, Lupe may not be quite as active but his sons seem to be going full speed ahead.

jamesbeck - 1-14-2012 at 07:39 AM

Still on the highway north of rd into town on west side? I'm interested in road worthy trailer for my vintage arco 21 and after looking at corroded used ones was thinking of new. Thanks

bajabass - 1-14-2012 at 07:56 AM

There is a man out here on the highway in El Centenario that builds nice trailers to your specs.

Pescador - 1-14-2012 at 12:56 PM

I have seen a lot of trailers made down here and they will all rust, I would suggest that you get a Pacific Trailer from San Diego. They make a narrow trailer that works very well for a Panga, especially the Arca and since the metal is galvanized, it does hold up pretty well. I went to a dual wheeled aluminum and it is great, but may be a little on the pricey side.

Diaz Pangas

Lengua - 1-14-2012 at 02:19 PM

I wa surfing the web and occasionally go to the VanDiaz web site to satisfy my jones.Recently we called Vanwormer resorts to make a reservation for this summer. I inquired about Diaz Pangas and they gave me a new e mail address for him in lapaz.
I will post it Monday . Jim , this is mike merino , did something happen with the production line in Los bar riles cause there is no website. We are going to continue our exploring and move the boat from Loreto to Lapaz for the next summer . Our winter trips to the cove and Santa rosalia have been fun and we wil more than likely continue that trip . Although , tecolte beach looks like a nice place to camp. This summer we are oing to fish Los Barriles on the boats there at the resort. I'veread al the posts ,your included regarding the challenges and will observe ,watch learn and asses. Mario wants to do the Dorado shootout so were going to give it a try
Mike :bounce:

jamesbeck - 1-14-2012 at 06:38 PM

Ran into a fellow at Van-Diaz shop this morning who had an aluminum trailer he sold me. I am happy. Thanks for all the advice. Jim

Lengua - 1-14-2012 at 09:45 PM

So they are still there in Los Barrie's?

jamesbeck - 1-15-2012 at 08:13 AM

Yes they are on right side highway north towards LaPaz before rd into Barrilles . Had a sweet 22' commercial style finished and ready to sell. He needs a computer to get the website up.

grizzlyfsh95 - 1-15-2012 at 12:05 PM

I don't think Vanwormers and Lupe Diaz are partners any longer.

UnoMas - 1-15-2012 at 01:58 PM

I had heard that they were no longer partners as well but just a rumor with no first hand facts.:o

[Edited on 1-15-2012 by UnoMas]

Pompano - 1-15-2012 at 02:27 PM

Ever wonder who built the first 'pangas'..and where?

Pangas

YARDSAIL - 1-15-2012 at 05:55 PM

It is now called"L Diaz Boats" not as much action going on there at this time. But there are not as many people here now with money....

Mula - 7-4-2014 at 06:20 AM

Anybody have any recent info on Diaz panga builders and how to contact them.

We bought a Diaz panga yesterday here in Lopez and are wondering if they can tell us when it was built - from the serial number.

Osprey - 7-4-2014 at 06:47 AM

I think Shroyer in La Paz put the first fiberglass molds together for most popular and endurable hull style. Don't remember who did the superpanga and who changed the chines. More interesting is that Panga is the name given wooden boats. All the glass boats are technically Lanchas and the drivers are Lancheros.

Mula, my transom went bad on my Arca lancha, lost the Arca placa. Was worried about registry but since Arca closed, regulators don't seem to care about what was so damn important before with the placa.

Mula - 7-4-2014 at 07:01 AM

The guy we bought this tourism panga from lost the papers to this panga so we all went to the Capitan de Puerto yesterday and he wrote up a bill of sale for the Notary Publico and Finances to stamp and said all should be good. We will see.

This Lancha is probably 15 years old, but hardly used (in comparison to commercial boats). We are pretty happy with it.

But would like to meet Lupe Diaz.

Just personal interest.

[Edited on 7-4-2014 by Mula]

john68 - 7-4-2014 at 07:12 AM

the origin of pangas is interesting--designed by Yamaha as part of a World Bank project.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panga_(boat)

Pescador - 7-4-2014 at 07:34 AM

Panga means skiff, nothing more. The first pangas were made in Mazatlan and Max Shoyer bought that factory and moved it over to La Paz with all the craftsmen and families and the most revered was Lupe Diaz. All Arca pangas were 22' long. When they started building the super panga they put the gas tank up front in a compartment. They actually made 16', 18', 22', and a 24' on special order which was done by changing the transom part of the mold, but the fronts were identical.
In 1989 Lupe and families left the Arca factory and started making their own which was a re-designed 23 and all was done in the La Paz factory and was financed by the American Terry Maas, who lived in Loreto. The new panga was over a foot longer and 9 inches wider. Lupe's business really went to town and they took over the major market share. It ran better, carried more, and was more economical to run. He started the Super Panga with a center console and the gas tank in the front.

Things were going well until he was forced to shut down due to labor disputes with the union. So he left La Paz, moved to Los Barrilles in 1999. He also made 20', 23, and a 25'. He also started a sportfisher line which accounted for a lot of the sportfishing boats on the east cape. In addition, he started building a straight commercial style panga with tiller steer that sold very well for awhile.

At some point he went into business with Van Wormers (Bobby I think) and the pangas became knows as Van-Diaz Pangas. Last I heard, someone told me that Lupe had passed away, and I do not know if the son is going to be taking over the business. He was working with Lupe and I met him and figured he had a lot of his Dad's intelligence.

CJ - 7-4-2014 at 07:54 AM

Mula,
Having previously owned two Diaz pangas I can tell you your panga was built in 1991. The last two numbers of the serial number signify the year it was built. It looks like a good boat for Lopez.I wish I would've kept my last one it worked great for the estero......enjoy CJ

john68 - 7-4-2014 at 08:17 AM

sorry--wrong cite.

Here's the correct one--

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panga_(boat)

You need to copy and paste--the hyperlink won't work to get the reference to the boat, instead of the fish.

Here's more--

http://www.soundingsonline.com/features/type-of-boat/178-the...

David K - 7-4-2014 at 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lengua
So they are still there in Los Barrie's?

LOS BARRILES :light:

David K - 7-4-2014 at 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jamesbeck
Yes they are on right side highway north towards LaPaz before rd into Barrilles . Had a sweet 22' commercial style finished and ready to sell. He needs a computer to get the website up.

BARRILES (one L)

An easy way to remember if you double the Ls is that LL in Spanish makes a Y sound in English. Tortilla, amarilla, etc.

YARDSAIL - 7-4-2014 at 11:39 AM

Lupe Diaz is alive and well and still making and repairing pangas in Los Barriles. At least he was the other day when I saw him driving his pickup. I think he is no longer with the Vanwormers. The shop is not real busy with the crappy economy.
It is now "L Diaz Pangas"

Mula - 7-4-2014 at 11:46 AM

Thanks to all for the infos.

This panga has hardly been used. The Baja Mar hotel in Loreto owned it first I think and sold it to a rancher in Insurgentes who used it once a year for an 8 day fishing trip to Ligui.

No patches or repairs. We are lucky.

akbear - 7-4-2014 at 01:51 PM

Nice boat Mula.