BajaNomad

When I win the lottery I'm buyin' this boat!

vgabndo - 1-14-2012 at 08:12 PM

http://www.pangamarine.com/skiff_slides.html

panga 18.jpg - 21kB

KaceyJ - 1-14-2012 at 09:05 PM

If we all pitched in a measely $10 we could make this happen w/o the lottery

Someone start a paypal acct. and lets get this done.

vgabndo - 1-15-2012 at 01:01 AM

A splendid idea, but, I'm not sure it is enough of an emergency for me to live with accepting the help.:lol:

DENNIS - 1-15-2012 at 07:50 AM

Aww..c'mon. We'll have a fund raiser. Finally, a cause that makes perfect sense.

All kidding aside....what's the base price on that little beauty?

pongo

captkw - 1-15-2012 at 09:02 AM

get a small cat,,panga s suck !!

Pompano - 1-15-2012 at 09:23 AM

Angler/Panga 26' Diesel ... offshores popular in Texas and Florida. Was thinking of buying one in 2006 but went with Yarcraft instead.

Anybody ever run one of these diesel CCs?

grizzlyfsh95 - 1-15-2012 at 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw

Got rid of mine. Too tippy, very sensitive to trim...I had a Diaz panga. Perhaps the commercial ones similar to the Sta Rosalia boats would fair better.

Here's an interesting stretch.

vgabndo - 1-15-2012 at 02:44 PM

Very efficient, diesel, (no spark boom bye bye) light, proven stern design married to the very proven Tolman stitch and glue wood core fiberglass skiffs of the Alaskan Pacific. This is a beachable inboard.

$10,000 one of a kind prototype.

http://www.fishyfish.com/renn_tolman/index.html

If the idea of a traditional plywood boat on the Pacific side appeals, check out the design for the Redondo Skiff, it is a scaled-down 16 foot version of a Tolman Wide Body. Plywood (almost) in name only.

This diesel design employs a 3" hard chine common on fiberglass. pangas. [[I just re-read the piece, and this is based on his "Standard" design, WITHOUT the chine]]

[Edited on 1-15-2012 by vgabndo]

Greta 126.jpg - 40kB

Pompano - 1-15-2012 at 04:31 PM

Looks like a good workable salmon-hauler for beach set-nets and similar shallow work. Perfect for some allowed areas near Alaskan estuaries. Low cost, economical operation, and speed is not important to an owner. I will assume it's self-draining.

wessongroup - 1-15-2012 at 04:33 PM

Never owned one.... but, love to hear about them... great thread .. thanks :):)

Pompano - 1-15-2012 at 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grizzlyfsh95
Quote:
Originally posted by captkw

Got rid of mine. Too tippy, very sensitive to trim...I had a Diaz panga. Perhaps the commercial ones similar to the Sta Rosalia boats would fair better.

The poor panga...has to be the most misperceived boat on the American and Baja market.

They range in size from 14-45 ft long and go from almost zero deadrise to the 22 degrees deadrise on the model I was looking at in Texas.

The ratio of length to beam is vast...from too narrow ...to too wide for it's length.

Some are as rough as nails finish ..and some are very high end equal to most any boat..and they are all called a 'panga'..

Love em or hate em...they are here to stay.

Islandbuilder - 1-15-2012 at 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
Very efficient, diesel, (no spark boom bye bye) light, proven stern design married to the very proven Tolman stitch and glue wood core fiberglass skiffs of the Alaskan Pacific. This is a beachable inboard.

$10,000 one of a kind prototype.

http://www.fishyfish.com/renn_tolman/index.html

If the idea of a traditional plywood boat on the Pacific side appeals, check out the design for the Redondo Skiff, it is a scaled-down 16 foot version of a Tolman Wide Body. Plywood (almost) in name only.

This diesel design employs a 3" hard chine common on fiberglass. pangas. [[I just re-read the piece, and this is based on his "Standard" design, WITHOUT the chine]]

[Edited on 1-15-2012 by vgabndo]

I like it's general work boat look, but since it has a diesel inboard, why not fill in the outboard recess? I would also deck over the bow and install a spray deflector. With that little bit of flare, it might want to bury the bow. A bit of deck and a coaming might help keep your skivies dry when it gets rough.

vgabndo - 1-16-2012 at 01:31 PM

Hi Builder...if you go into the Tolman site you see that MOST of these boats are not left open for the NW. The big thing in the design was to provide a light, strong, trailerable skiff that was beachable. The moderate deadrise, the "fiberglass-like" 3" or 4" chine, and a prow high enough to keep her from digging-in if surfing a following sea.

The heavy spray rail has also proven to be a strong element for a happy skiff.

I haven't read why the Seabright was left with an open transom.

These boats are housed with everything from a walk-thru like a Skiff America 20, to beautiful cuddys and wheelhouses. Realize you can build one in the back yard up to 26-28 feet!!

yellow_choppedup_small.jpg - 26kB

Here's that hull with an outboard.

vgabndo - 1-16-2012 at 01:43 PM

http://www.fishyfish.com/brianfagan/index.html

fagan_med_over.jpg - 44kB

We must be entering different lotteries

Hook - 1-16-2012 at 03:54 PM

My dreams are a little more on these lines.

Fuel bills should be no problem after winning the lottery.

vgabndo - 1-16-2012 at 07:03 PM

It might have to be an extraordinarily large lottery, but then, I think, I'd buy this one and just name it after myself and be my own country. What fun...I could design a flag.....:lol: It probably already has it's own air force!

[Edited on 1-17-2012 by vgabndo]

Dubai.JPG - 37kB

BillP - 1-16-2012 at 07:42 PM

Since we're wishin' and not fishin', the 62' Mikelson Nomad would be high on my list.

vgabndo - 1-16-2012 at 09:44 PM

Nice taste Bill, if you get tired of drivin' we can swing her on davits on my girl! Long as its pipe dream time...:lol:

Russ - 1-17-2012 at 06:53 AM

Think of the cartel type compound on the waterfront you could get for the $$ of one of those beauties. Then hire a cruiser with crew when ever you wanted. And still be $$ ahead.

baitcast - 1-17-2012 at 07:47 AM

Guys those rigs are nice but if I,m going fishing this is more like it,52' of comfy fishing:lol:

Trying to figure out where to put my bait tank,no blood allowed on this deck.
Rob

[Edited on 1-17-2012 by baitcast]

bigzaggin - 1-18-2012 at 10:46 AM

You can have your yachts and pangas...my lottery boat will be a Nordic Tug. Heavy as hell, but creamy ride, comfy and plenty of deck space to land a 5lb sheepshead :yes:

http://www.nordictugs.com/models/nt26_intro.aspx

Bajamatic - 1-18-2012 at 10:48 AM

sweet. Will take you 10 hours to get to the islands. I'll pass you in my caL 28.

bigzaggin - 1-18-2012 at 11:02 AM

Hey dad, let's run down there and kiss one of those ladies!

No son, let's walk down and kiss 'em all.

You can take your speed. For me, Baja is about the cruise not the drag race. I'll be happily putting around Tortugas, couple lines out, cold one in hand :biggrin:

Bajamatic - 1-18-2012 at 11:09 AM

at 6 knots, you'll have plenty of time to enjoy!

vgabndo - 1-18-2012 at 04:09 PM

Man Oh Man, we are a bunch of dreamers aren't we?

This is good!

It is probably better to be delusional about a boat I'll never afford, than to the be delusional about something that harms others.

bigzaggin - 1-18-2012 at 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
It is probably better to be delusional about a boat I'll never afford, than to the be delusional about something that harms others.

Well if I buy one of these boats, I will be harming someone...myself! my wife will kill me!:lol::lol::lol:

Hook - 1-18-2012 at 06:43 PM

Those fishin boats would be tied to the continent they were delivered to. No cruising range.

Well, I guess you could have it SHIPPED to Asia or the So. Pacific. But where's the fun in that? :smug: