BajaNomad

East Mexicali border crossing

philodog - 1-16-2012 at 10:15 PM

As Mexicali newbies we used the East Mexicali border crossing because we heard the parking for Immigration was much better than the main crossing especially when towing a trailer. The approach to the crossing was easy to get to, there is a gas station near the border for a final fill up close by but we did not notice a money exchange there. Luckily we got pesos in Brawley at the 7-11 gas station with a good exchange rate. At the border use the far right "Declare" lane. The Immigration office is right there on the right but you must pull forward to park. After dealing with the Border officer pull forward and bear left at the fork 50 yards on and pull into one of the slots. Bearing right at the fork brings you into a crowded parking area used for importing vehicles. Not good with a trailer. The Immigration office was fast and friendly and the bank is just across the parking area. Based on MrBillM`s advice we decided to take the most direct route to Mex5 and San Felipe. It had the least amount of turns and all but one were at T intersections which you can`t miss. Here is the Google map link:

http://maps.google.com/maps/user?uid=205324255623713874996&a...

The only turn you need to watch for is marked on the map. The route is easy to follow as the turns are minimal but it does go through slow, busy neighborhoods with lots of stop signs. As I haven`t done any other route through Mexicali I can`t compare to other routes but this one is simple and straight forward though maybe not the fastest. Mex 5 to San Felipe was a breeze. Dinner and margs at El Nido Steakhouse and southbound tomorrow to Laguna Chapala. Trip report to follow.

MICK - 1-17-2012 at 06:31 AM

Came home yesterday and because of another thread I tried this route. After driving it I still think that the route coming home where you turn at the kenworth dealer and then on Argentina is still easier. much less stopping and it is 4 lane the whole way. As for time it was just about the same. I have had friends tell me also to never drive thru that part of town at night so I think I will keep to my old ways.
Mick

meme - 1-17-2012 at 08:38 AM

We also prefer the Kenworth corner. Too many stop signs the other way.

Bajajorge - 1-17-2012 at 10:18 AM

Turning right out of the east crossing and going Calz Gomez Morin became a mordida nightmare last year. I have been turning left out of the east crossing since then. A little more complicated, but a helluva lot cheaper.

nbacc - 1-17-2012 at 12:12 PM

We are with you Bajajorge............easier for us. Nancy