BajaNomad

Quick Family Trip To Baja

Ateo - 1-17-2012 at 07:00 PM

We left Oceanside for a quick family trip to Baja around 1:30PM and crossed the border around 2:30PM. I stayed in the very left lane because lately they've been sending me over to that mini inspection booth over there. They wave me over for a quick inspection and upon seeing my truck loaded to the brim they send me over to the declaration area. At this point I'm pretty bummed because it took me hours to pack and I had a feeling they were gonna make me pull everything out, like they did in August. A very nice lady came over to inspect our truck, asking how much beer n stuff we had. After about 2 minutes of friendly dialogue, she waves us thru, asking us why we were even sent over to the declaration area in the first place.

We hopped in the truck and regained all stoke. We were running behind and would be driving at night to reach Baja Cactus. When we arrived we were a little amped.

The new rooms at Baja Cactus (like everyone has said) are fricking very nice. We were hungry and lazy so we hit up Mama's next door, against our best judgement, and I'm sorry to report the food was still very subpar. My kids got hamburgers and fries - decent quality. Next time I'll go back to Mi Casita instead.

Next day we got up and headed south. These bicyclists always leave me thinking they have a subliminal death wish.

Decided to add a few gallons to my tank at the B of LA turnoff and the kids enjoyed the abandoned old Pemex.

Cruised around a few spots before settling on our destination.

Set up camp and went for a surf while the kids surfed the dunes.

I don't usually drink Coors but I had a bunch left over from a New Years Party.

Dog portrait:

Family portrait:

Kids playing black jack while Mom and I take a couple shots. Bad parenting?

The road back out:

Make sure you don't bring any "prohibited items" because the military is out there. A brand new Army Hummer with the most bad a$$ Baja tires pulled us over and did a thorough inspection. They were cool -- all over the age of 30 -- lifers. Not the young kids you're accustomed to seeing. They were pros. I told them they had some sick tires and they just said, "yep".

Speaking of tires:

I discovered this side wall tear about 5 minutes before leaving Oceanside. Not a good thing to find right before leaving for a trip. I wagered we'd be OK and had spares so I went for it, not even mentioning to my wife until we got to our location. Does this look like something I should replace ASAP? I think it may be under warranty still. Maybe I should take in this week.

The traffic coming into San Q always bums me out. Almost back to reality......and I just hate driving 20 miles an hour for so long.

Jardines is still one of the best hotels around. We ended the day with a great meal at the Old Mill and ate the left overs this morning for breakfast. Well worth the $50 for a family of four, drinks, seafood c-cktails, beer, and a shot of whatever it was I ordered.

It was really hard to crop this photo but it had to be done.

All in all, a very successful trip to the Baja.

[Edited on 1-18-2012 by ateo]

bigzaggin - 1-17-2012 at 07:05 PM

Awesome report Ateo. Glad you scored. Ballsy move heading down with the sidewall tear but it doesn't look too deep.

Ateo - 1-17-2012 at 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigzaggin
Awesome report Ateo. Glad you scored. Ballsy move heading down with the sidewall tear but it doesn't look too deep.

Yeah, looking back at it I should've gotten a new tire but I was short on time! Not sure how thick tires are in that location but it looked no worse than a flesh wound. ;)

David K - 1-17-2012 at 07:12 PM

ateo, a great trip report! Naturally you wisely left out GPS and maps to the secret surf point! Looking forward to meeting you since we are neighbors... and you get a pass on the Coors beer... but not the BFG All Terrain TAs (just another case of sidewall damage I have seen so much of on these tires)! LOL

I see you liked Baja Cactus, but you also raved more about Jardines... any photos of their room or cost/ comments? We have eaten there but being such close friends of Antonio in El Rosario, we haven't had a reason to stay anywhere else, except when Cactus is full.

Thanks again for the quick trip report and great photos... Your dogs look like they love the ocean! I had a Golden Retriever and he went crazy anytime we got near the sea.

[Edited on 1-18-2012 by David K]

bigzaggin - 1-17-2012 at 07:19 PM

Agree with David K. Have stayed at Don Eddy's but never Jardines...any pics?

woody with a view - 1-17-2012 at 07:20 PM

as long as DK is kept in the dark it'll be a secret to him...... that's all that matters.

i would have paid a guy to change that tire with a spare and use the bad one as the backup. you had the entire family tree onboard and there ain't much room for high speed corrections on the highway!

i'm trying to camp in the same spot (or farther north/south/west) this weekend.

Ateo - 1-17-2012 at 07:24 PM

Hard too pick between Jardines and Baja Cactus. I'd stay with friends (Antonio).

Jardines is more expensive. We paid around $50.

It's a beautiful setup though. Good restaurant next door. Check it out next time.

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
ateo, a great trip report! Naturally you wisely left out GPS and maps to the secret surf point! Looking forward to meeting you since we are neighbors... and you get a pass on the Coors beer... but not the BFG All Terrain TAs (just another case of sidewall damage I have seen so much of on these tires)! LOL

I see you liked Baja Cactus, but you also raved more about Jardines... any photos of their room or cost/ comments? We have eaten there but being such close friends of Antonio in El Rosario, we haven't had a reason to stay anywhere else, except when Cactus is full.

Thanks again for the quick trip report and great photos... Your dogs look like they love the ocean! I had a Golden Retriever and he went crazy anytime we got near the sea.

[Edited on 1-18-2012 by David K]

Ateo - 1-17-2012 at 07:27 PM

I'll see if my wife has any pictures. I know I do somewhere on my hard drive. I'll just say it's often booked to capacity.

Quote:
Agree with David K. Have stayed at Don Eddy's but never Jardines...any pics?

Ateo - 1-17-2012 at 07:30 PM

You should get waves this weekend. Good call.

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
as long as DK is kept in the dark it'll be a secret to him...... that's all that matters.

i would have paid a guy to change that tire with a spare and use the bad one as the backup. you had the entire family tree onboard and there ain't much room for high speed corrections on the highway!

i'm trying to camp in the same spot (or farther north/south/west) this weekend.

tripledigitken - 1-17-2012 at 07:46 PM

Ateo,

Were you at Jardines and Old Mill last night (monday)? We stayed at Jardines as well and ate at the Old Mill last night. What a hoot!

We ran into a guy that runs a Caravan Business when leaving this morning at Jardines, he was headed back up to the states to start another group. I mentioned that I knew a guy back in the 1990's doing the same thing that lived in the Seattle area and it turns out he bought the company from him. Baja brings many chance encounters like that!!!

By the way, Molino Viejo, what the Old Mill restaurant is called now is excellent. The new owners have spent some bucks fixing it up. I had the best Paprika Stone Crab Claws I have ever had in San Quintin Monday night. We also had an excellent plate of fresh White Sea Bass. I highly recommend you all give it a try.

Ateo - 1-17-2012 at 07:47 PM

Can't find any Jardines photos from inside the room yet, except for a few that don't show anything but someone making a funny face or some crap. Here's a few from the parking lot.

It's basically a garden setting. Tons of trees. Courtyard. Simple but clean and quality rooms. Great family that runs it. Good wifi. Security is 24 hours. Leave surfboards on top of car. Plenty of parking. Great restaurant next door. Quiet. Satellite TV for those who watch. Comfy beds. Great water pressure. =) What else do you need?

Ateo - 1-17-2012 at 07:52 PM

Yep, we were there last night at both places. I had a wife and 2 kiddos with me. We were in the Molino Viejo around 5:30PM-6PM? I bet you were sitting at the table next to me. I felt like asking, "Any Nomad's in here?" but didn't want to look like a dork. Ha ha. Tell me more. I'm pretty sure I saw everyone stayin at Jardines last night so I'm sure we crossed paths.

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Ateo,

Were you at Jardines and Old Mill last night (monday)? We stayed at Jardines as well and ate at the Old Mill last night. What a hoot!

We ran into a guy that runs a Caravan Business when leaving this morning at Jardines, he was headed back up to the states to start another group. I mentioned that I knew a guy back in the 1990's doing the same thing that lived in the Seattle area and it turns out he bought the company from him. Baja brings many chance encounters like that!!!

By the way, Molino Viejo, what the Old Mill restaurant is called now is excellent. The new owners have spent some bucks fixing it up. I had the best Paprika Stone Crab Claws I have ever had in San Quintin Monday night. We also had an excellent plate of fresh White Sea Bass. I highly recommend you all give it a try.

Jardines

tripledigitken - 1-17-2012 at 07:55 PM

from 2008

Ateo - 1-17-2012 at 08:31 PM

There ya go. Great Jardines photos. That's the entire experience tripledigitken.

Ateo - 1-17-2012 at 08:34 PM

Anyone know bf Goodrich warranty declarations? Mine are under 1 year. I think my wife tore them to hell when we went to Ocotillo. Never my fault right?

woody with a view - 1-17-2012 at 08:54 PM

i doubt they'll be covered unless you bought a road hazard warranty.

another thought, since it's holding air is to have it removed from the rim and have a tire guy vulcanize a patch over the inside of the tire. i had it done to one of mine in ensenada for $10. it'll prolly last forever with the patch. i wouldn't trust it otherwise.

Nice report

Bichito - 1-17-2012 at 08:54 PM

Looking forward to heading South ateo!

Ateo - 1-17-2012 at 08:56 PM

Good idea. My plan is to keep it on a rim as a back-up. Bought it somewhere in Carlsbad.

Quote:
i doubt they'll be covered unless you bought a road hazard warranty.

another thought, since it's holding air is to have it removed from the rim and have a tire guy vulcanize a patch over the inside of the tire. i had it done to one of mine in ensenada for $10. it'll prolly last forever with the patch. i wouldn't trust it otherwise.

DianaT - 1-17-2012 at 09:05 PM

Great Trip Report--- fantastic family including those great dogs.

Loved the photos!

What a great time!

Islandbuilder - 1-17-2012 at 09:07 PM

We stayed at Jardines last winter, and had a couple of meals next door. The food was great. the room clean and nice. Seems like the cost last year was about $35?

The Old Mill is now owned by the folks that own Dos Pinos (or so I've been told) and they are really doing what's needed to provide a high end dining experience.

I like the surf pics! Was the SUP guy with you, or did he come with the point?

Nice crowd, nice waves, and a great report. Thanks for posting!

woody with a view - 1-17-2012 at 09:22 PM

i forgot to mention THAT'S ALOT OF STUFF IN THAT TRUCK! i thought we brought everything?:lol:

Ateo - 1-18-2012 at 08:23 AM

We got charged 90 pesos extra at Jardines for one of the dogs. I guess they only allow one dog free of charge. We also had a larger room to accommodate everyone. Maybe that's why we paid a tad higher?

I don't travel with SUP'ers. :) He came with the point and was a very cool guy. Runs a kayaking business in Alaska.

Quote:
Originally posted by Islandbuilder
We stayed at Jardines last winter, and had a couple of meals next door. The food was great. the room clean and nice. Seems like the cost last year was about $35?

The Old Mill is now owned by the folks that own Dos Pinos (or so I've been told) and they are really doing what's needed to provide a high end dining experience.

I like the surf pics! Was the SUP guy with you, or did he come with the point?

Nice crowd, nice waves, and a great report. Thanks for posting!
;D;D;D;)

Ateo - 1-18-2012 at 08:33 AM

Yeah, a little excessive I guess. When I travel with my wife i somehow fill the truck every time. She loves to cook so half of that stuff is cooking equipment, sausage, carne asada, 15 gallons of water, leftover frozen ham from new years, chili, hot dogs, and steaks. :)

Quote:
i forgot to mention THAT'S ALOT OF STUFF IN THAT TRUCK! i thought we brought everything?:lol:
;D

Ateo - 1-18-2012 at 08:36 AM

Glad you signed up Bichito and welcome to Baja Nomads. Yeah, stoked on the next trip down. We shall score.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bichito
Looking forward to heading South ateo!

MMc - 1-18-2012 at 08:54 AM

Those dunes are the home of The World Championship Baja Bocce Ball. Glad you had a good time, we were both north and south of there for the last swell.

Bajamatic - 1-18-2012 at 10:30 AM

sweet! we almost stayed there. Next time we'll give it a try.

bigzaggin - 1-18-2012 at 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
Those dunes are the home of The World Championship Baja Bocce Ball.

Ha! I might have competed in that a few years ago.

BajaBlanca - 1-18-2012 at 09:14 PM

what a neat report .... nice photos .... and Jardines restaurant has a day when they have a buffet that is pretty awesome - maybe Sunday ???? and then I think the restaurant is closed on Mondays.

welcome bichito !!

jbcoug - 1-18-2012 at 09:53 PM

Ateo,

That looks like high living. You must have had a great time. Looks like the kids and dogs were enjoying it too. Wish it had been me! Thanks for sharing.

John

Cypress - 1-19-2012 at 07:12 AM

ateo, Thanks for the pics and the report.:)

Udo - 1-19-2012 at 07:07 PM

VEVY nice short trip report, Ateo!

I'll have some time this weekend to post our 16 day trip to La Ribera and back to the O.C.

Udo - 1-19-2012 at 07:11 PM

Woody...
I went by the Torrance swap meet yesterday. There was only one person offering fishing gear for sale (I bought some).
Normally (in the Summer) there are about a dozen fishing stuff vendors, including the guys that have the Chinese/Japanese glass net floats.
I'll make another run closer to Summer...maybe everyone will be there at that time.

Quote:

p.s. Apologies for the slight (hijack)

[Edited on 1-20-2012 by Udo]

Ateo - 1-19-2012 at 07:14 PM

Looking forward to your report!

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
VEVY nice short trip report, Ateo!

I'll have some time this weekend to post our 16 day trip to La Ribera and back to the O.C.

Niiiiice!

El Vergel - 1-20-2012 at 01:50 PM

Awesome Trip Report! Thank you so much for the share. Great pics and wonderful dialog! Beautiful stuff!

woody with a view - 1-20-2012 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Woody...
I went by the Torrance swap meet yesterday. There was only one person offering fishing gear for sale (I bought some).
Normally (in the Summer) there are about a dozen fishing stuff vendors, including the guys that have the Chinese/Japanese glass net floats.
I'll make another run closer to Summer...maybe everyone will be there at that time.

Quote:

p.s. Apologies for the slight (hijack)

[Edited on 1-20-2012 by Udo]

okee dokee. Thanks.

Roberto - 1-20-2012 at 06:56 PM

Quote:
I discovered this side wall tear about 5 minutes before leaving Oceanside. Not a good thing to find right before leaving for a trip. I wagered we'd be OK and had spares so I went for it, not even mentioning to my wife until we got to our location. Does this look like something I should replace ASAP? I think it may be under warranty still. Maybe I should take in this week.

Take it in. It will be replaced under warrantee, I'm pretty sure. Don't bother until you get back, if you have spares.

Ateo - 1-20-2012 at 06:58 PM

Roberto,
Thanks. I'm gonna take it in and see what my options are.
Jon

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Quote:

Take it in. It will be replaced under warrantee, I'm pretty sure. Don't bother until you get back, if you have spares.

Sprocket - 1-23-2012 at 10:42 AM

and I thought I was the only one who packed like that!lol. awesome report.

[Edited on 1-23-2012 by Sprocket]

mcfez - 1-25-2012 at 10:05 PM

ateo

One excellent road report. Thanks for the sharing.

Was the Old Mill Motel itself open for business? We love that ol place. Again...this was a five star report you gave us here.

bigzaggin - 1-30-2012 at 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
ateo

Was the Old Mill Motel itself open for business? We love that ol place. Again...this was a five star report you gave us here.

Old Mill is def. open...ate/drank there a few weeks ago.

Ken Cooke - 1-30-2012 at 10:35 PM

Great report, Ateo!

Pacifico - 1-31-2012 at 02:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
ateo

Old Mill is def. open...ate/drank there a few weeks ago.

The restaurant is open and the hotel is supposed to be closed for the winter until April, I heard. The hotel and restaurant have different owners. Does anyone have any updates?