BajaNomad

Quickest way to from Mexicali to Laguna Chapala revisited

philodog - 1-17-2012 at 09:56 PM

We were looking for an alternate way southbound rather than the normal TJ or Tecate route and tried Mex 5 thru San Felipe-Puertocitos. We last drove the route in the 80s when it was definitely not a shortcut. Overall we decided it is a little quicker and a whole lot easier. It was about 8 hours versus 8-9 for Hwy 1 leaving from Calexico. We drove a 4wd Tundra towing a 10' Wells Cargo. Mexicali to San Felipe was a breeze with an easy uncrowded road. San Felipe to Puertocitos had decent road but DO NOT go on autopilot as vados from hell pop up unexpectedly once in a while with serious potential for airtime and spine compression. And where did all those houses come from? The new pavement near Puertocitos is ridiculously nice. I couldn't even find the Terrible Three to see if they were as bad as I remembered. Once the pavement ended we aired down all the tires to 18psi for comfort and took about 3 1/2 hours to finish the 50 some miles of graded dirt to Hwy 1. The negative of 3 1/2 hours of slow dirt road was well worth it considering we got to skip the madness of TJ, the tolls, traffic in Ensenada, the endlessness of the San Quentin valley and it`s buses and the hills south of El Rosario with semis passing you on downhill blind curves only to get stuck in front of you on the next uphill. I don`t know if the gulfside is always this quiet this time of year but all the towns seemed like ghost towns and the road was pretty much empty.

David K - 1-17-2012 at 11:10 PM

That's the ticket... Thanks for your report!

TMW - 1-20-2012 at 10:26 AM

Did you stop by Coco's? If so how is he doing?

Dave - 1-20-2012 at 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by philodog
I don`t know if the gulfside is always this quiet this time of year but all the towns seemed like ghost towns and the road was pretty much empty.

Enjoy it while you can.

Because when the last stretch gets paved the road will get busy in a hurry.

grizzlyfsh95 - 1-20-2012 at 11:34 AM

Is there a shortcut to BOLA from that road, or is it necessary to go to Hwy 1 and then take the BOLA cut off?

David K - 1-20-2012 at 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by grizzlyfsh95
Is there a shortcut to BOLA from that road, or is it necessary to go to Hwy 1 and then take the BOLA cut off?

The only roads between Gonzaga Bay and L.A. Bay, are the graded road to Laguna Chapala from Cocos' Corner, then the paved roads to L.A. Bay OR the older road through Calamajue Canyon, to El Crucero on Hwy. 1... then you could get on the old L.A. Bay road of Hwy. 1 that goes past Desengaņo, but soon bumps into the paved L.A. Bay road.

The second map is one with the roads not on the AAA map added (and highlighted).

[Edited on 1-20-2012 by David K]