BajaNomad

...please watch for this STOLEN VAN....

micah202 - 1-24-2012 at 10:01 AM

...I know the chances are small,,,but this was a -perfect- little Baja-van,,,great mileage,4x4,,,,,,methinks there's a good chance it'll pull up in front of a nomad in baja sometime down the line,,,,,,,,,please keep an eye out,,,,thanks!!

description,,,,,1988 toyota cargo van 4x4
....serial#JT4YR34V6J0003146

........the combination of non-window panels ,, 4x4 hubs make it ~90% likely that this is my van!!!
...80's toyota vans are somewhat rare to see at this point,,,and there's some VERY distinct features to this one,,so if you see -any- 80's Toyo of any color.....

--does it have ZERO windows on the driver side,,other than the driver's door,,,and NO window behind the sliding side door???------this is a rather big clue to my van,,,as most 80's Toyo's are windows all around or NO windows (on a cargo-van).......mine is a cargo-van,which has a windowed sliding sidedoor added,,,,not too common.

........further 1/1000 clue is that the van is 4x4 and has manual-hubs on the front wheels.....,,and 2 manual shifters between the front seats,, ....the combination of panels and 4x4 hubs ,,2 shifters,,AND interior wood panels make it ~99.9% likely that this is my van!!!

...further details,,,,,,,-fixed---antenae mounted(or mounting hole) on the left-front window frame above driver mirror(custom placement)
...........--standard transmission,,,with high/low range shifter,,,so 2 gearshifts side by side,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,also very rare!
...................changeable but possible ......--oversize(27x81/2x14) 'general grabber AT' tires,,,new condition,,matching spare
........--interior has wood panelling on walls and ceiling,,,burgundy trim otherwise,,a storage box built into the back,the panels that extend the storage-box to be a full length bed are removable,,and it's possible for a likely mis-matched seat to be in-place.

.....if you see this van,,of course DO NOT apprehend the people associated with it,they are likely innocent victims anyways,,,,but DO inform police to investigate....Tijuana police report #499/12/211/AP
-----------------------------------------------

.....if you can help me post pictures to this thread,,I would MUCH appreciate that,,,,,,'U2U' me if you can,,,,many thanks

..........NAYSAYERS,,,please keep yer comments to yourself,,many,MANY thanks!!:smug:

[Edited on 1-24-2012 by micah202]

Islandbuilder - 1-24-2012 at 10:58 AM

Micah, We're heading down in a couple of weeks, and will be on the lookout. So sorry for all that this theft has cost you! Good luck.

BajaGeoff - 1-24-2012 at 11:23 AM

Here is a picture of the van....

micah202 - 1-24-2012 at 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
Here is a picture of the van....

...hey, thanks Geoff.
..if you'd be willing to post a few others,,so they can be in one place,so I can refer people from other sites,,,it'd be MUCH appreciated......if you or someone sends me a u2u,,I can send an email with pictures,,thanks

fandango - 1-24-2012 at 11:44 AM

looks like the perfect baja van.

where was it stolen from?

David K - 1-24-2012 at 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fandango
looks like the perfect baja van.

where was it stolen from?

I think this is micah's first post on it:

posted on 1-16-2012 at 04:02 AM

...anyone have any 'chop-shop' connections in TJ???

...stopped to visit a friend in Tijuana,,,,
....should have listened to that 'little voice' and slept in the van instead of accepting his kind offer of a guestroom----the van is STOLEN!!!

......the 'hope' is ironically that the security guard is able to get word onto the street fast that there's a reward for return.

...maybe someone sees the van
....VERY distinctive dark brown,,lighter doors,,,,1986 Toyota van,4x4,,,,,,,white kayak on top
british columbia plates...648 XAR

pics of the van ,,and the general adventure here... http://www.flickr.com/photos/59103003@N05

[Edited on 1-24-2012 by BajaNomad]

marv sherrill - 1-24-2012 at 11:57 AM

The osprey nest on the side should be another dead give away -

micah202 - 1-24-2012 at 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by marv sherrill
The osprey nest on the side should be another dead give away -

..heh,,was thinking they'd probably remove it by now!!

..not to mention the contents and color!:lol:

Natalie Ann - 1-24-2012 at 01:02 PM

Nice pix, Micah.
And your link works better this way:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/59103003@N05/

nena

EDIT: Nope, doesn't work. Need to copy/paste.

nena

[Edited on 1-24-2012 by Natalie Ann]

[Edited on 1-24-2012 by BajaNomad]

BajaGeoff - 1-24-2012 at 01:34 PM

Here is the van from the opposite angle:

desertcpl - 1-24-2012 at 02:08 PM

my feeling also DK,, Chop Shop,, its a goner

sorry about all this Micah202, it really sucks

mcfez - 1-24-2012 at 04:23 PM

No offense to the owner....

I seriously doubt this car is at a Chop Shop. The parts are not worth the time. Just my two cents worth.

Hope you do find it though. I do have a question for you. Are you stuck in Baja?

desertcpl - 1-24-2012 at 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
No offense to the owner....

I seriously doubt this car is at a Chop Shop. The parts are not worth the time. Just my two cents worth.

Hope you do find it though. I do have a question for you. Are you stuck in Baja?

I dont think he is stuck in Baja,, this was stolen in TJ
I would think he could have got out of town with out a problem

micah202 - 1-24-2012 at 07:04 PM

...stuck in Baja?.....not at all.
Was stuck for 3 days waiting for passport replacement,,,
& passing out 'kidnap-me' flyers....to have carried on looking would have been VERY thilly
.....the trip was too short,,,,,I'm working outside in buckets of rain,,,
......if it's not snowing here in the NW,,

...but I'm happy to be home,,,carrying on with life

motoged - 1-24-2012 at 07:34 PM

Micah,
Bummer about the van....looks like a rig that took you to your favourite kind of places :(

Some people might use this as more proof why Canadians should stay out of Mexico....;D....but what do they know?

I think it is really bad luck that could happen to any of us....next rig should have some theft protection built in maybe...;D

micah202 - 1-24-2012 at 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Micah,
Bummer about the van....looks like a rig that took you to your favourite kind of places :(

Some people might use this as more proof why Canadians should stay out of Mexico....;D....but what do they know?

I think it is really bad luck that could happen to any of us....next rig should have some theft protection built in maybe...;D

...I'm considering a set of those tire-locks usually used for parking trailers:smug:
....really,,it's been the same for 20 years,,,baja doesn't start before Ensenada,,,no good reason to stop there,period.
......cities are the same all over the world.

....don't play games with 'chupa...kab...ra',,,just not a good idea:no::no::no:

Lee - 1-24-2012 at 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by micah202
...I'm considering a set of those tire-locks usually used for parking trailers:smug

Have I missed the post where you theorize how your van was stolen? Driven off?

I'm assuming you had no alarm sytem, or kill switch?

Is this a first for you?

micah202 - 1-24-2012 at 07:59 PM

...you missed the thread,,as listed above.
...I had a steering lock AND hidden kill-switch.

...I 'theorize' that the theif's hooked up,,and pulled the van away.....apparently LOTS of thefts in PlayaTJ these days,including quite a #,daytime at the mall.

........I -KNOW- my host in TJ was NOT paying the local 'protection' fee of 30pesos/week to the local neighborhood security people. :mad:

Bajatripper - 1-24-2012 at 08:34 PM

Quote:
baja doesn't start before Ensenada,,,:

Some of us don't think "real" Baja starts until El Rosario:yes:

I'll keep an eye out for that van down here in La Paz, should they make it that far.

Best of luck with the recovery effort.

mcfez - 1-24-2012 at 08:46 PM

Cool. I was going to offer to help you out if assistance was needed. Glad to see you got home.

Quote:
...stuck in Baja?.....not at all.
Was stuck for 3 days waiting for passport replacement,,,
& passing out 'kidnap-me' flyers....to have carried on looking would have been VERY thilly
.....the trip was too short,,,,,I'm working outside in buckets of rain,,,
......if it's not snowing here in the NW,,

...but I'm happy to be home,,,carrying on with life

woody with a view - 1-24-2012 at 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajatripper
Quote:

i'll keep an eye out as i'll be surfing in the shadow of the cardon fri-tues. problem is, i might know the guy driving your van!

what are the odds?:?:

micah202 - 1-24-2012 at 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajatripper
Quote:

I'll keep an eye out for that van down here in La Paz, should they make it that far.
Best of luck with the recovery effort.

..yeh,,usually I don't stop fer nothing before ensenada,,
,,didn't feel 'really' in Baja till Mulege,,but I love the ensenada hotsprings(golf-course road),,and san Ignacio lagoon was good to me..

...have t'get back to LA in the spring and pick up some boatparts I was intending on,,,,,maybe I'll cross the line for awhile,,,maybe not:):)