BajaNomad

Ildefonso Fishing Report

monoloco - 1-30-2012 at 06:07 PM

Fishsticker asked me to post these:

I'll let him chime in with the gory details.

[Edited on 1-31-2012 by monoloco]

Here's Another

monoloco - 1-30-2012 at 06:14 PM

One More:

monoloco - 1-30-2012 at 06:21 PM

monoloco - 1-30-2012 at 06:23 PM

Night diving anyone?

tiotomasbcs - 1-30-2012 at 06:52 PM

In a cage?! Location? Good to see you sharing your adventures, Amigo. Tio

monoloco - 1-30-2012 at 07:16 PM

Ironclad proof that Mexico is an extremely dangerous place. Be afraid. very afraid.

Paulina - 1-30-2012 at 08:21 PM

A Great White and Mako.

I can't wait to hear this story.

P>*)))>{

Hook - 1-30-2012 at 09:15 PM

So, how much will they make on killing these guys? What market are they headed for, in that area?

Cages?.......come on! It's a baited hook, all the way. Probably a shark buoy check. Not likely they hand-lined it in.

Mexico will eventually get the fishing they deserve with their lax enforcement............sportfishing cant begin to have the impact of the Nationals.

BTW, this is a rare catch these days. So many Nationals have given up on shark fishing because there are so few now.

[Edited on 1-31-2012 by Hook]

Skeet/Loreto - 1-31-2012 at 11:28 AM

Still the best place on the Sea of Cortez to fish!
I spent many days fishing the Island since 1968. Lived at San Nicholas about 4 years nearly full time.

I like to catch the smaller Sharks on 125 lb line and a 6 o Reel. Takes awhile to get them in but are good eating as far as I am concerned.
I have the Teeth out of an 800 lb blue I caught about 50yd off of the Island.

Keep up the good fishin.

Skeet

Ken Bondy - 1-31-2012 at 11:37 AM

How very sad.

dizzyspots - 1-31-2012 at 12:07 PM

Ken
I have to agree...killing these majestic creatures for FINS???

Skeet/Loreto - 1-31-2012 at 12:53 PM

Ken. yes sad.

Enrique and I would catch about 4 good size sharks on any given day, take them into the Village where the Women would filet them, cut them in strips, salt them, hang them on the Fence for drying then they were shipped to mexico City for use in Tacos.

Gave a lot of Labor, Food, and Money to a bunch of People. And there are still lots of them out there.

Ken Bondy - 1-31-2012 at 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
And there are still lots of them out there.

You sure about that Skeet?

Skeet/Loreto - 1-31-2012 at 02:14 PM

Ken How long since you have been to the Island?
The Sharks are back big time. I think it has a lot to do with the Tons and Tons of Squid taken out in the past 10 years.. I think it has something to do with the Great Fishing on the pacific side of Baja the past couple of years.

Ken Bondy - 1-31-2012 at 02:49 PM

It's been a long time for me to Ildefonso Skeet and I will defer to you on that. My comment was more general, I think we are slaughtering sharks worldwide on an unprecedented scale and it will have serious consequences on the health of the oceans.

Skeet/Loreto - 1-31-2012 at 03:58 PM

Ken:
Do we know where Sharks go and hide out in ourther places, grow andget large Numbers then return to some of the Original Places??

Over the years I have watched and Swam with the Sharks around that island. I have noted when they were gone for a couple of years then come back, many smaller ones at times then on a given year lots of big ones.

Do the Scientific bunch know where they go to hide and grow up??Another thing that has amazed me is the coming of Schools of Amberjack. There were times when I would only see and catch a couple a year, now they are coming in Schools.

Did you see and hear about the Millions of Sardines that came in and up the Cortez? Where have they been for the past couple of Years??
You may be right about the Slaughter, I have not seen it yet.

Ken, a more Serious Problem with our world is Our Failure to teach our Children.

Vince - 1-31-2012 at 05:31 PM

I went diving at Ildefonso Is. many years ago and we didn't see one shark. Glad to hear they are around now and not then.

GrOUper-GAr - 1-31-2012 at 05:57 PM

My Girl & I went out there once.
(in our 12' aluminum, doUGH!)
The northwestern part of the Island was the best snorkeling we have EVer seen.
Some real toad Leopards & Barred Pargo.:o
Crystal clear, Sheet glass, with 89 degree surface temp in July 'o6.
Just Amazing!
-GroUPer
(nothing would bite though, hahaha)

Paulina - 1-31-2012 at 06:53 PM

The story I was waiting to hear was that it was an accidental catch, that they weren't targeted. It is sad to see.

In the scheme of things, isn't that White on the small side, a young one?

This past summer we saw a few sharks out and about. I felt like cheering them on. It's been a long time since I've seen one. It's nothing like the day when the Threshers were so plentiful that one had to be careful they didn't jump into the panga.

P>*)))>{

Ken Bondy - 1-31-2012 at 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
It's nothing like the day when the Threshers were so plentiful that one had to be careful they didn't jump into the panga.

P>*)))>{

I remember those days Paulina. Seeing the threshers jumping was one of the most magnificent things I have ever seen in nature. Unfortunately these threshers will never jump again:

baitcast - 2-2-2012 at 09:30 AM

I always thought the thresher was one of the more graceful sharks in motion,the Cortez norte was stuffed full of sharks long ago they were everywhere but in my last few trips I did not see but one or two,very sad.
Rob