BajaNomad

Punta Chivato Beaches - A 3-Hour Boat Tour

Pompano - 2-2-2012 at 11:09 AM

BOAT PICS FROM FEB 2, 2012 – PTA CHIVATO BEACH HOMES – EMPTY CAMPING BEACHES – STA INEZ – MULEGE RIO:

Leaving Mulege Rio estuary. Empty harbor captain office, moorings…improved boat ramp.

This a mostly deserted stretch of perfect sandy beaches that starts about 3 miles north of Mulege and runs the next 2 miles to the nearest new home at Pta. Chivato. Perfect camping, but mostly unused by anyone. A good reason being….?? Your experience or comments are welcome.

There was this one, and only one, RV sitting back from the beach…and he certainly had lots of privacy. Place is kind of a mystery to me, as I have had little experience and desire to go there…and God knows I’ve had the time and opportunity.

This was a more interesting and Baja-like scene…a driftwood beach shelter being inspected by a solo kayaker. Some memories there, I suspect….

A long view of homes at Pta. Chivato. The hotel is at far right. I forgot to count the homes, but must be well over…what? ..100?

The hotel

CASA GRANDE – My old home at Pta. Chivato (1976 – 1986)

Chivato Public Camping Beach…empty? Hmmm….

The name of this mountain is right on my lips…but?…wait…I know it will come to me..??

Time to leave Chivato…and we’re bugging out!

TORTUGA off in the distance…a long ways to go, but…a great place to fish…at times. :rolleyes:

Lighthouse (faro) at Sta. Inez Islands

Seal island sanctuary – Sta. Inez Islands

Contrails: United & Alaska racing to Cabo??...OR...we are nuking Loreto! :wow:

Shrimper anchored offshore Mulege

Entrance Mulege Rio at low tide 2:00 pm…1.1

Northside homes overlooking estuary.

Okay, everybody out…the tour is over and the skipper is due at the poker table muy pronto.

[Edited on 2-2-2012 by Pompano]

Joelt - 2-2-2012 at 11:36 AM

That trailer near the begining of your tour is abandon and becoming one with the earth. It has been there for several years. The owners of the property put it there. Maybe as a real estate office or guard post?

woody with a view - 2-2-2012 at 12:34 PM

what's the deal with the blue sailboat run aground?

KurtG - 2-2-2012 at 12:39 PM

We like to go to Playa Santa Inez. There is rarely anyone there and it is a lovely beach. Generally have it all to ourselves. I have always marveled that such a lovely spot is not used. You probably remember about 15 years ago when it was surveyed and stakes with red ribbons were marking off lot lines. Supposedly was going to be a big development but like so many nothing came of it. I'm really glad there is an estuary mouth between that beach and Chivato, keeps the quads and others off the beach. It is one of the few accessable places in the Mulege area that looks just like 40 years ago. Also doesn't hurt that there a are couple of nasty sand washes to traverse to get out there.

baitcast - 2-2-2012 at 01:33 PM

Thx Pomp never saw the area from that angle.FUN
Rob

wessongroup - 2-2-2012 at 01:48 PM

Thanks much... great tour :):)

Pompano - 2-2-2012 at 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joelt
That trailer near the begining of your tour is abandon and becoming one with the earth. It has been there for several years. The owners of the property put it there. Maybe as a real estate office or guard post?

I do remember when it became a commercial adventure...but several years? I thought it was like a couple years ago at the most. :yes:

TIME FLIES WHEN YOU'RE HAVING FUN.......OR...

...TIMES FUN WHEN YOU'RE HAVING FLIES.

p.s. Just remembered driving out to and past that office/gaurd place to check on some Nomad request a couple..or more?...years ago.

I better start a diary...sheesh...:rolleyes:

[Edited on 2-2-2012 by Pompano]

Vince - 2-2-2012 at 03:26 PM

That was great! Brought back many memories of fishing/diving then stopping in at the hotel for lunch. I think that hotel has changed, last time it wasn't as much fun. Thanks, Roger.

Pompano - 2-2-2012 at 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
We like to go to Playa Santa Inez. There is rarely anyone there and it is a lovely beach. Generally have it all to ourselves. I have always marveled that such a lovely spot is not used. You probably remember about 15 years ago when it was surveyed and stakes with red ribbons were marking off lot lines. Supposedly was going to be a big development but like so many nothing came of it. I'm really glad there is an estuary mouth between that beach and Chivato, keeps the quads and others off the beach. It is one of the few accessable places in the Mulege area that looks just like 40 years ago. Also doesn't hurt that there a are couple of nasty sand washes to traverse to get out there.

I agree, Kurt...and even though I will probably never set foot in that stretch of desert or on that beach, it's very comforting to know it is UNCHANGED AND PRISTINE. Unlike so much of Baja these days.[/]

p.s. If I do see any 4 wheelers tearing up that clean beach...well...no sweato, I favor moving targets. I'm 29 for 30 Up North on snowmobiles ripping through my winter marsh. One was Co-pilot and I 'missed' but did bracket her.

David K - 2-2-2012 at 07:15 PM

Great tour Roger... My dad liked to get a face mask and snorkle on at the SW side of the hotel, and let the current just take you around the point and look at all the fish... this was back in the early 70's. Last time there (July, '73), the hotel was between owners and closed up.

Fernweh - 2-2-2012 at 09:36 PM

Nice pictures again - what a pleasure to see and read your posts!

We camped out there in Nov of 2010, no one else around at the pristine Playa Santa Ines. Early next morning we went to visit the latitude/longitude confluence just a 1/2 mile offshore.

http://confluence.org/confluence.php?lat=27&lon=-112

Karl

Pctures

jkruk - 2-3-2012 at 07:33 AM

Great job Roger I have u2u you as picture is of my wife and dog just down from my home . jim

Russ - 2-3-2012 at 08:23 AM

Nice! You captured my casita in a few shots too.

mcfez - 2-4-2012 at 07:55 AM

Pompano TXS! Again....!
Great shots.....but that shrimper shot is just outstanding. It's not just a still picture...it seems to have movement to it.

jack - 2-4-2012 at 02:23 PM

Playa Santa Inez is a very nice spot, but.... I rode my dirt bike to it and went to the rock bluffs at the southern end of the beach. I parked my bike as close to the beach as possible without getting into the soft sand. Unfortunately my bike was out of sight for the 10 minute walk I took along the beach. That 10 minutes was long enough for someone to steal $600 worth of stuff off my bike. Judging by the lack of tracks on the road and beach I was sure I was the only one there but I guess not. If only I had listened to my own advice of never to leave anything you own out of sight. I later heard that that area is very bad for theft.

1bobo - 2-4-2012 at 06:24 PM

The squeeze & I call Sta. Inez the "naked beach". Never seen anyone else there, and the pangueros skip this part of the shoreline. It can be busy during Semana Santa, but then all the beaches are...

Pompano - 2-4-2012 at 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1bobo
The squeeze & I call Sta. Inez the "naked beach". Never seen anyone else there, and the pangueros skip this part of the shoreline. It can be busy during Semana Santa, but then all the beaches are...

1bobo...we've called it the same thing once or twice, but not in some years. There was some trouble about camping or something? not that long ago..but be danged if I can recall what it was...oh well, like 'jack' posted above, it is best to not leave anything unguarded in that area.

Here's a post from 2005 that has a bit further info...I hope.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=9614#pid72574

Personally, I don't the theft/hassle risk of camping there is worth bouncing out there.

tripledigitken - 2-4-2012 at 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jack
Playa Santa Inez is a very nice spot, but.... I rode my dirt bike to it and went to the rock bluffs at the southern end of the beach. I parked my bike as close to the beach as possible without getting into the soft sand. Unfortunately my bike was out of sight for the 10 minute walk I took along the beach. That 10 minutes was long enough for someone to steal $600 worth of stuff off my bike. Judging by the lack of tracks on the road and beach I was sure I was the only one there but I guess not. If only I had listened to my own advice of never to leave anything you own out of sight. I later heard that that area is very bad for theft.

That's not all...........Last year I thought I'd go out there and cast some Krocs and enjoy the empty beach. Not for long, I heard a noise looked over my shoulder and to my surprise a Marina stakebed with 12 soldiers gave my the third degree and copied my passport number and drivers license number. The jefe told my it is a favorite drop off point for narcotraficantes and it would be a good idea if I left pronto.

Ken

Pompano - 2-4-2012 at 07:22 PM

Hmmm....seems like too many binoculars and veranda telescopes from Punta Chivato, plus fisherman working Sta. Inez Islands to be a good druggers relay point..but then I an not an expert on smuggling tactics...

...unless you consider that well-hidden boatload of un-declared Pacifico many years ago. :rolleyes:

I damn near put Hamm's beer out of business back home that summer.