BajaNomad

Xmas 2011 trip

ursidae69 - 2-4-2012 at 02:34 PM

Howdy fellow Nomads,

I put together a little report of my Xmas trip this year. Four of us spent a little over a week in Baja Norte and as always, had a great time... :cool:

Pics and more:
http://www.chucksweb.net/Trips/2011/Baja-Dec/Baja-Dec.html

Chuck...

Udo - 2-4-2012 at 02:50 PM

Loved the bar, guys!

Also... nice yaks!

[Edited on 2-4-2012 by Udo]

woody with a view - 2-4-2012 at 02:54 PM

DAMN good!

i like the flag marking the important stuff!

bigzaggin - 2-4-2012 at 03:11 PM

Effing awesome report. Never caught one of those "Bastards" before...good eating? Also, how were water temps?

ursidae69 - 2-4-2012 at 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigzaggin
Effing awesome report. Never caught one of those "Bastards" before...good eating? Also, how were water temps?

I didn't bring a thermometer, so I don't know the temps but I snorkeled once with a farmer john wetsuit for about 20 minutes before everything went numb! It was chilly.

The jawfish was good eating. None of use were sure at first so we cooked it separate, but turned out to be delish!

Ateo - 2-4-2012 at 03:50 PM

Damn, great pictures and great trip report. Tons of colors, wildlife, and that bar was epic.

Roberto - 2-4-2012 at 04:03 PM

Yes, Ensenada Alcatraz. One of THE places in Baja.

YES!!!!

El Vergel - 2-4-2012 at 04:18 PM

Great report! Fab pics and killer imagery! Thanks for the share.

David K - 2-4-2012 at 04:36 PM

Excellent!!! :bounce::cool:

I think the Yubay pictos are above the main tinaja (the one with the fig tree growing by it)... I was there in 2001 in the summer... after the hike from the end of the road, didn't have the energy or desire to climb the boulders to have a look. See Neal John's photos of Yubay: http://vivabaja.com/neal2

Edit: Jack Swords has a photo of them at http://vivabaja.com/swords here it is:

You guys went to some of the best of Baja in my opinion...

Sad to hear that Coco is not expecting to live much longer. I hope you are right in your comment about him.

Ensenada Alcatraz is a very beautiful beach... you got to it from the dry lake road, correct? I tried getting there many years ago, but missed seeing the road from the one going to the fisherman's camp on Bahia Guadalupe/ Remedios.

Thanks again!

[Edited on 2-4-2012 by David K]

ArvadaGeorge - 2-5-2012 at 11:38 AM

Thanks for the report. I have been on that beach many times on M/C rides. The photos brought back a lot of memories

ursidae69 - 2-5-2012 at 04:44 PM

Thx for the info DaveK, I hope to explore more in Yubay next time. Such a great area...

Curt63 - 2-5-2012 at 06:37 PM

alcohol and expolsives!

2 mandatory elements of an epic trip.

Looked real fun! Nice pics

bufeo - 2-6-2012 at 08:57 AM

Good report, Chuck. I especially got a kick out the two photos book-ending the "Wildlife" photos. Seemed appropriate. :biggrin:

There are myriad things we miss by having sold our place at Pta Bufeo, and one of them is most definitely being a "call-in" spot for friends passing by on the San Felipe-Laguna Chapala route. We really enjoyed the spontaneous visits, plus I think our omelets and tacos are better than Alfonsina's.

You know, Chuck, we have frogs here on the Snake River Plain too.

Allen R

P.S. Camped in the Calamajué Cyn one night we were astounded by the cacophonous symphony of those little creatures. How can so much noise come from such a small reptile? Oh, wait, you play with M80s. You like small object/big noise.

motoged - 2-6-2012 at 02:32 PM

Several months (or weeks) ago, I read a trip report about Alcatraz and it appealed to me Big Time....:saint: :cool:

My next Baja trip will include a week of riding dirt bike out of BoLA on some single tracks I have yet to do (Window Rock Trail, etc), and I hope to spend several sleeps at Alcatraz.

I have Google Earthed the area to death and see some tracks leading in there.

If I have several companions on bikes, is it a bad idea to hire a local pangero to drop off water and food/camp for us (the concern being in an isolated spot with "public knowledge"....I am Baja experienced and don't tend to feed into the danger factor).

Thanks for insights....

Road to San Borja:

Hmmmmm.....

ursidae69 - 2-6-2012 at 03:32 PM

Thanks for the comments everyone. ;)

Allen, I just applied for a job in ID, so watch out, I might be there sooner than later.

motoged: I think dropping some supplies would be cool. The local fishermen have a very small fish camp on the east side of Ens Alcatraz and there were three guys camped there for several nights while we were there. Lots of smiles and waves, nice folks.

bufeo - 2-6-2012 at 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ursidae69
...Allen, I just applied for a job in ID, so watch out, I might be there sooner than later. ...

WooHoo! Good news for us. PM sent with new e-mail.

Allen R

Skipjack Joe - 2-6-2012 at 04:15 PM

Nice report. I had been expecting it.