BajaNomad

Elk Camp Moves South

ddawson - 2-5-2012 at 11:14 AM

Great pics and story. Killer rig, and the tent you have is awesome!

shari - 2-5-2012 at 11:38 AM

ahhhh Don Jorge...wonderful to see you two doing the baja dance of life. Gotta love a b-tchin tent like THAT!

Skipjack Joe - 2-5-2012 at 11:48 AM

I agree, the tent setup is awesome.

It looks like one of those MASH tents from the Korean War. They used heavy canvas though. But a similar structure.

I wonder if Alan Alda surfs. :o:o

Pompano - 2-5-2012 at 12:02 PM

Nice trip, George, and good surfing times, too. Hi to Blanca.

Like most labs, Dusty doesn't know he has only 3 legs...and cares less.

Say...How would you like to trade your elk camp tent for my vintage walleye tent??

See it and marvel...

It's a...ah...classic...I will even throw in the 30 gallong barrel stove and pipe sections to vent out the front.

Now HOW can you refuse such a deal?

I'll be camping on this same island this summer...although a little less rustic as back in the 60's. ;)

David K - 2-6-2012 at 07:55 AM

GREAT!!!:bounce::bounce:

Mexitron - 2-6-2012 at 09:03 AM

Beautiful!

BajaRat - 2-6-2012 at 09:05 AM

That was a day maker! Now that's my kinda Baja report. Thanks

Ateo - 2-6-2012 at 09:07 AM

Jealous. Thanks.

El Jefe - 2-6-2012 at 09:10 AM

Great post! Living the dream. Well done.

watizname - 2-6-2012 at 10:15 AM

Way cool. I don't see how you could do better. You're a very lucky man.:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

David K - 2-8-2012 at 12:15 PM

Living the life George!

jbcoug - 2-8-2012 at 01:39 PM

Doing what you love, with the people you love, in a place that you love. It would be ridiculous to ask for more. That is enjoying life!

John

woody with a view - 2-8-2012 at 09:04 PM

nice report Sr Jorge. how was the blowhole? looks like the same spot we camped last may.

woody with a view - 2-9-2012 at 10:00 AM

drove by Supertubes on the way home from San Nicholas Island and it was SUPERTUBES!

even malibu was head high!

edit: OH, and you guys who can appreciate this. yesterday we stood on the south end of San Nic at the sandy beach and watched SOLID 15' faces wrap around the east and west side of the island and EXPLODE when they refracted into each other at full speed. the backwash was probably 30-35' high.

it was an awe inspiring site! i've never seen anything like it......

[Edited on 2-9-2012 by woody with a view]

TMW - 2-9-2012 at 10:48 AM

Excellent thanks for sharing.

Mexitron - 2-9-2012 at 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
drove by Supertubes on the way home from San Nicholas Island and it was SUPERTUBES!

even malibu was head high!

edit: OH, and you guys who can appreciate this. yesterday we stood on the south end of San Nic at the sandy beach and watched SOLID 15' faces wrap around the east and west side of the island and EXPLODE when they refracted into each other at full speed. the backwash was probably 30-35' high.

it was an awe inspiring site! i've never seen anything like it......

1)---How and why are you on San Nicholas Island? Always wanted to go there.
2)---Pics please!

woody with a view - 2-9-2012 at 01:51 PM

How? Beechcraft Baron with the owner of my company.
Why? Pre-construction meeting/check out the site/being a tourist and gotta do a tour of the island....
Pics? i didn't have the camera.... don't fret, waiting on them from others. will post them here ASAP.

edit: foto. not the same tail number so don't get all wet, Mengano!:lol:

Beechcraft_Baron_58.jpg - 44kB

wessongroup - 2-9-2012 at 02:16 PM

Great stuff... loved to camp out on the beach..

Really like the "bathroom" .... way cool ... have to get one of those.. :):)

BajaBlanca - 2-9-2012 at 02:34 PM

wonderfully written and the photos are amazing !! thanks for sharing ... anc congrats on knowing how to plan a perfect vacation - LOVE, just love that tent ...

woody with a view - 2-10-2012 at 09:50 PM

south end of San Nic Island. keep in mind those big sea lions are about 10' in length. these fotos don't do justice to the awesome display.

rsz_1img_0216.jpg - 23kB

woody with a view - 2-10-2012 at 09:52 PM

hopefully this one is better.

rsz_1img_0218.jpg - 41kB

Sunman - 2-11-2012 at 11:09 AM

Quote:
How? Beechcraft Baron with the owner of my company.
Why? Pre-construction meeting/check out the site/being a tourist and gotta do a tour of the island....
Pics? i didn't have the camera.... don't fret, waiting on them from others. will post them here ASAP.

edit: foto. not the same tail number so don't get all wet, Mengano!:lol:

Hey that's my backyard. You didnt fly out on Phoenix Air?

woody with a view - 2-11-2012 at 11:20 AM

we got bumped and had to scramble at the last minute. going back wed/thur.

willardguy - 2-11-2012 at 11:20 AM

thank god for a feel good post! its been getting nutty around here of late.

El Vergel - 2-11-2012 at 04:23 PM

Very, very cool Trip Report. Thanks for the share, really enjoy reading it!

Roberto - 2-11-2012 at 08:02 PM

Woody, I've always wanted to spend time on San Nicholas. I've been out there on my boat, and fished the south-east end, and went around the other side to check out the effects of the weather. Water was as clear as I've seen. You are a lucky man. Going out there and GETTING PAID FOR IT. Awesome.

Roberto - 2-11-2012 at 08:05 PM

Dusty is beautiful! Labs are awesome - best and most affectionate dogs in the world. Toby is envious of her.

"the older I get, the more I appreciate the company of dogs".

woody with a view - 2-11-2012 at 08:19 PM

this coming week will be busy. after Pres Day i'm taking the fishing gear for after work.

Mexitron - 2-12-2012 at 08:06 PM

Quote:

That is way cool! Amazing....thanks for posting that Woody.

Mexitron - 2-12-2012 at 08:12 PM

Your pic of San Nicholas reminded me of this backwash from the far point in 15'plus surf---its my bud Jason Frazier surfing it:

woody with a view - 2-12-2012 at 08:18 PM

those are pretty cool. i'll try to post up some more shots of the island in the coming weeks in the non-baja trip report section. i need to get a camera permit first as there is a lot of stuff "they" don't want foto'd.

Ateo - 2-12-2012 at 08:26 PM

Quote:

I could see some Newport bodyboarders being all over that.

Ateo - 2-12-2012 at 09:18 PM

Don't think there's any south swell in the water right now. Guessing Malibu was picking up the westerly (not northwest groundswell) wind swell that is close to shore following this nasty weather we've had. Just the forecaster in me. Hasnt been any south swell over 1.5 foot in a while. :):)

woody with a view - 2-12-2012 at 09:58 PM

check out the first shot. that "little" wave in the shorebreak-the closest to the sand is over headhigh. that splash is 30-40 feet high.:O

Ateo - 2-12-2012 at 10:08 PM

Two waves trains approaching and meeting from thousands of miles away only to reach each other on a beach is carnage. Love the shot woodie. Backwash and groundswell can make sick 40 foot tall whitewater walls.

woody with a view - 2-13-2012 at 12:19 AM

actually, it was the same huge swell from the northwest would be split by the island and continue down each side of the island only to bend into a terminal point in the fotos.

Bajamatic - 2-13-2012 at 11:37 AM

Great report. That's a cool little spot.

DonBaja - 2-14-2012 at 12:57 PM

That's a nice looking camp. Can you give some information on the tent you have. What brand is it and how does it stand up to a strong wind ??

MMc - 2-14-2012 at 01:56 PM

This will be my next tent. I have been around a lot of tents, this is a great tent. My buddy has one and it is bomb proof, more money then most here would spend. Paying good money for quality equipment usually pays off in the long run. I have never purchases anything from Cabela's but I'm planing too. They also have canvas style room tents.

Bajamatic - 2-14-2012 at 02:43 PM

Hows does the outhouse hold up in the winds???

Seems a bit dicey.

bigzaggin - 2-14-2012 at 04:29 PM

I FINALLY caved to the portable hot shower this past trip down. It's not a must, but damn if it doesn't make changing out of a wetsuit at dusk just a little easier.

Seems like every year I got older, one more piece of "unnecessary luxury gear" makes its way into my Baja gear. :lol:

Pompano - 2-14-2012 at 04:37 PM

I know what you are enjoying, Jorge. :D

I went nomadic at age 6....made my first camping trip to the backyard using Mom's bedspreads on the clothsline as tent for Randy and me.

Been improvising ever since. I am a passionate buyer of things Cabela!

MMc - 2-14-2012 at 05:35 PM

Almost all my gear has a backpacking or climbing equipment logos on it. If it doesn't then it has been manufactured/ customized so it will suit the need. I started with a car then went to a small truck and now full size long-bed. We were very comfortable in a car now we very comfortable with lots of toys/crap. I have trouble leaving home without the 15' X 15' awning, and a full kitchen.
The volume of comfort and mission critical stuff increases with the volume of the transport.
MMc

pappy - 2-15-2012 at 02:12 PM

mmc- isn't that the truth! from one ice chest( for beer), sleeping bag, cans of beans, some cheese and tortillas, matches, surfboard and wetsuit. that was it for years, though each trip something got added, like a fishing pole here, a second ice chest there, tent, screen room, dishes, etc.,etc. still do it with a tent but it takes every inch of space in my full size truck to take all the "necessities" down.

MMc - 2-15-2012 at 03:55 PM

In the late 70's we would hop a plane to La Paz with a Ice Chest. Inside were shorts, t-shirts, backpacking stove, coffee pot,fry pan and a sleeping bag. Surfboard wrapped in a towel and duct tape.($90.00both ways) Get off the plane and rent a VW van for the weekend. All the things we needed, but the beer, coffee and the snacks. The big question was south or west. We didn't want or need much. I remember we always had waves.

Bajaboy - 4-6-2012 at 08:58 AM

Great stuff...love sharing Baja with the family, too. Looking forward to summer. Thanks for sharing.