BajaNomad

Driving airport to la Paz, which route?

Ricgoc - 2-12-2012 at 08:58 PM

I will be flying into the cabo/San Jose airport next Sunday and then driving to la Paz. I should begin driving around 5 pm, so it will be dark towards the end of the drive. What is the best route? Hiway 1 over the mountains or the other thru todos santos?

Gracias

latina - 2-12-2012 at 09:14 PM

The problem with the Todos Santos route is the road building Todos Santos to Cabo San Lucas. Todos Santos to La Paz is divided highway, smooth driving all the way. The problem with the mountain route is the time of day you will be travelling. It is a single lane winding road that attracts livestock in the evenings, making for a slow or dangerous trip...

Lee - 2-12-2012 at 09:30 PM

Sun is setting about 6 so you'll be close enough to Todos, then the 4-lane to LP. Don't sweat it, be vigilant, keep speeds down, watch the road. Construction is not a big deal for those driving it regularly. Just dust and workers to avoid.

El Jefe - 2-13-2012 at 12:49 PM

You could go either way. If you take Hwy 1 north through the mountains you might make it through before dark. Once you hit the intersection with Hwy 19 it is clear sailing to LP.
ON the other hand, I just drove the new four lane to Todos Santos from Cabo yesterday. The areas under construction are not bad at all. In fact, they are great opportunities to pass slow moving vehicles. The new sections are really well done and a pleasure to drive. After TS it is four lane all the way.

Ricgoc - 2-13-2012 at 10:13 PM

Thkx for all the info!

Islandbuilder - 2-14-2012 at 07:57 AM

Probably too late for this trip, but for next time consider flying directly into La Paz.

The best part? No time share hawkers at ALL! Also, rental cars seemed lots cheaper than Cabo.

Have a great visit!

[Edited on 2-14-2012 by Islandbuilder]

windgrrl - 2-14-2012 at 08:18 AM

There are some twisty mountain switchback sections around San Antonio and El triunfo that might slow you down, but the #1 North is in good condition. Watch for cows and have a safe journey.