BajaNomad

DENTAL IMPLANTS

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 2-19-2012 at 05:31 PM

has anyone had a dental implant in baja, possibly either la paz or san jose del cabo OR...tecate

why such a large spread of baja...if i get it done in baja, it'll depend on how much total time it takes.

i'm planning on being in baja sur in june and july. possibly, also august.

if it takes more than that time frame, i can get to tecate fairly easy as my daughter lives in escondido and my son lives in riverside.

i have been to three different dentists and they all say the same, implant and crown.

i haven't googled it yet so i have no idea what's in store for me.

any info will be appreciated.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

RnR - 2-19-2012 at 05:43 PM

Had an implant done in La Paz. The cost was about 1/3 the US cost quoted by my local/long term dentist. Both dentists wanted the implant/post to grow into the jawbone for three to four months (and preferably six) before the crown was installed and chewing pressure was placed on the implant/post. I didn't have the crown installed for about ten months when I made my next visit to La Paz. It's now been three years and there have been no problems.

And also, You have to have your current tooth extracted to create the location for the implant replacement. You need about three months after the extraction for new bone to grow in and fill in the extraction hole so that there is a solid and uniform base for the implant/post to be placed into the jawbone.

As you can see, it's not a quick, one visit, process. A dentist that wants to hurry the process may be working with new bone that is still fresh and porous and not at full strength. Same time frame as a fracture in any other bone in your body. (Doesn't seem to apply to hip and knee replacements as they are load bearing within a week???)

[Edited on 2-20-2012 by RnR]

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 2-19-2012 at 05:47 PM

Hola
RnR,

i thank you for your response. will you please post or u2u the dentists info ?

i thank you in advance,

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

grizzlyfsh95 - 2-22-2012 at 02:00 PM

You should go to Viet Nam or Shrilanka and get it done for a tenth of the US price. While you are there, buy one of their cars and some of their electronics....oh..I guess they don't build them there....and their Dentists don't get the same training, are not held to the same standards, and are not inspected, taxed, tested and licenced the same as Americans either. Apples and Oranges folks. You get what you pay for.

DENNIS - 2-22-2012 at 02:03 PM

Algodones is a hot-spot for SOB dentistry:

http://www.dentistsofalgodones.com/

Bajahowodd - 2-22-2012 at 04:54 PM

My question would be whether a trip out of the way, over to Algodones, would be worth it.

Tons of (especially)Arizonans have made this place the Mayo Clinic of the border.

DENNIS - 2-22-2012 at 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
My question would be whether a trip out of the way, over to Algodones, would be worth it.

Depends on how long one has survived on Pablum.

Bajahowodd - 2-22-2012 at 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd

Depends on how long one has survived on Pablum.

:lol::lol::lol:

BajaBlanca - 2-22-2012 at 06:24 PM

on another thread regarding dentists, MIKE YOUNG HUSBAND wrote:

I go to Dr. Gabriel Adame in Tacate, total cost for implant with crown $1600.
He took over the gusiness from his father who was the first dentist in Tacate. I have been going to him for 20 years+ his son is now taking over the business.
His phone number is 619-631-4454. He is literally a stones throw from the border. 5 minute walk.

BajaBlanca - 2-22-2012 at 06:32 PM

and I wrote:

I HAVE BEEN GOING TO A DENTIST IN TJ FOR OVER 15 YEARS WHO IS THE KING OF NO PAIN, EVER. He is excellent, reasonable, thorough and I highly recommend BOTH dentists in the office:

DR SAMUEL GOMEZ

The office is in front of the wax museum - Museo de Cera - Avenida Mexico, the street where the huge arc is. Unmissable.

from States 011-52 - 664-685-4095

-----------------------------update feb 2012.... I am sure sammy does not do implants but he can most likely recommend someone. If I were you I would go with mike's advice since he has been there, done that.

good luck.

Bajafun777 - 2-22-2012 at 06:39 PM

Go see Dr. Martha Julieta Perez who is a graduate of Loma Linda School of Denistry in the USA, in fact she has two degrees from there. Address is Av. Carroceros #1690-5 Mexicali, Mexico. Phone number is 011-52-686 554-4531. She did my father-in-law and he is one of the hardliners with saying like "I left nothing in Mexico, so I have no reason to go to Mexico." However, his teeth were so bad he left them in Mexico for all implants by Dr. Martha Perez. He had this done 9 years ago and no repeat no complaints and he can complaint believe me,LOL.
I also had her remove 3 wisdom teeth from my son the same day with no complaints of pain in fact he ate that night, sure wasn't the case with me when I had mine removed. She is very good and has all the latest equipment, you will be happy. Take Care& Travel Safe---"No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

Pescador - 2-22-2012 at 07:20 PM

I have used Dr. Talamante in La Paz and had three implants done. He is exellent and does a great job. Not quite the same price as the one I had done in Algodones, but now that I live here full time, it was more convenient to have it done in La Paz.

The dentists in Algodones are great, you can look them all up on the internet, but so are the dentists in La Paz. Figure out where you are going to be and what you want to spend. They are as good as anything I have ever done in the US. Perhaps the offices are a little smaller and maybe they don't have the same procedures that deal with potential infections, but they are successfully treating thousands of patients every year and obviously not having any major problems.

taurus51 - 6-2-2016 at 11:10 PM

I am a 52 yr old teacher in Gilroy, CA. I have been going to the same dentist at "Dental Solutions" (Xochipilli Bojorquez) in Los Algodones. She has also treated my 82 year old father. I have had bridges, a root canal,a partial, a crown, and three implants. Dr. Xochipilli is a warm, caring person with a clean clinic. She will fill out your insurance forms and give you your xrays and records if you want them. Her prices are about 1/8 of USA prices (Dental Implant is $1050).

She have taken refresher courses in several prestigious institutions including Harvard Medical School in Boston.

Los Algodones dentist :

Dental Solutions: (928) 328 1121
Dental Solutions algodones
Don't forget your passport. I think you need it to get back into the U.s.

Bob.

AKgringo - 6-3-2016 at 06:55 AM

Here is a re-run of some La Paz dentists; http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=81476&got...

Barry A. - 6-3-2016 at 01:15 PM

Just for comparison on prices in the USA:

My single molar implant in Redding, CA cost me about $3000, and took 5 months overall.

My sister's single molar implant in San Diego, CA cost her about $5000 and took about 3 months overall.

Neither one of us had any problems, and no pain. My "crown" had to be re-glued to the "post" after about a year-------no charge. The Dentist claimed that the glue was faulty, so that is the reason for the re-glue. No real problems, however.

Grizzyfsh

captkw - 6-3-2016 at 01:21 PM

MAN, are you behind the Real world... And I bet you watch USA TV...Tell me I'm wrong !! The usa is SO far behind so many places, that it's a sad story..FACT: the usa didn't get cell phones for six (6) years behind the rest of the world...Keep watching that TV (mind Control) unit... :no:

Traveling to Dentist in Mexico

jandel - 9-3-2016 at 10:05 AM

For many the issue is cost of dental care. We have had patients drive to mexico from Alaska and Nova Scotia. Was worth their while for the savings on major dental work.

http://brio-dental.com

BajaBlanca - 9-3-2016 at 06:18 PM

what a huge jump from Feb 2012 to June and now Sept 2016!

and my update is that my dentist should retire now...he just isn't the same as he was before.

I went to another one in TJ and was not super impressed. Les went to another one in La Paz and he really liked her. I don't know her name but I can get it if someone needs a referral. His teeth are a nightmare and she did a great and job at reasonable cost.