BajaNomad

Zona de Aventuras

Ateo - 2-23-2012 at 01:25 PM

Got a few days off and headed for Baja with the guys in search of fun, food, drink, and surf. It was a successful adventure........

We headed down on a Friday of a holiday weekend and expected traffic chaos -- but it never materialized. We arrived at Jardines de Baja at around 7PM. We headed to the restaurant next door and had a Pacifico when fellow Baja Nomad "sanquintinsince83" arrived. He brought us a very gracious and tasty gift -- fresh oysters. I headed out to the parking lot to accept the catch, say thanks, and just like that -- sanquintinsince83 -- retreated quietly into the night, heading back to Don Eddie's.

I'd like to take a second and say thanks to SQsince83 for starting our trip out right. It was one of those baja gifts that just falls in your lap and makes the day. While we were halfway into our Jardines carne asada burritos, when the restaurant manager curiously came over to admire the oyster catch, then offering to serve them up for us. He came back 15 minutes later and presented us 3 plates full of 24 oysters (SanQ gave us 4 dozen in total!!), opened with limes and ready to be attacked. We polished them off and even donated a few to the couple at the bar.

The next morning it was time to head south. The garden at Jardines:

Stop off in El Rosario for breakfast - Mi Casita - a good restaurant:

On to our destination:

We arrived late afternoon, after a little exploring, and got a quick surf in before fading into the Baja night. Things can get a little blurry when you're so far from civilization.......

The next morning it was time to fish. Fellow nomad bichito looking for lobster:

We got skunked in the fish and lobster arena, but redeemed ourselves with some clams and mussels -- much easier to find.....

We wandered the hillside and beach, killing time, waiting for a lower tide, then went for a surf.

Then we surfed, ate, relaxed, explored, for the next 4 days until it was time to head home.

We stopped for carne asada tortas and french fries at Mi Casita on the way north:

Anyone know what this plastic tunnel is at the checkpoint? Wind hideout?

Strange name for a snack - Negrito. Something tells me this wouldn't be a hit in the US.

The next few hours were a baja twilight haze - racing for the border. We got to San Ysidro and we're stoked to find only about 50 cars per lane. When we got to the inspection booth the officers started commenting on the mud that was baked on the truck. The inspector was saying "you know you can get a car wash in TJ pretty cheap", and we were kind of laughing and keeping things light. He made me get out of the car and clean the front license plate so it was legible, then proceeded to send our butts to secondary. Supposedly mud is now a prohibited item when re-entering the USA.

Argh!!!!! Just wanted to get home before midnight!!!! We waited in secondary before being interrogated about where we went in Baja, for how long, how often do we go to Baja, and did we have any weapons, guns or ammo. Then came the lecture about mud and how it could carry microbes, cow poop, flies, alien bacteria. After about 20 minutes they told us to get in the truck and wait for them to come back. The thought crossed my mind that we might get sent back across the border for a car wash.

While we waited another officer came by and we just chatted about how kick-butt the Toyota Tacoma is. This guy calibrated my mood back to even, and to this guy I'd like to say thanks.

Finally, we were released with a warning, having our passports flagged for future mud smuggling, and a paper stating restricted items, which the officer noted -- didn't include mud, but he swore he'd seen one recently -- listing mud.......;););)

We headed home on the enormous freeway system we have here in the states and got home before midnight.

A classic Baja adventure.

[Edited on 2-23-2012 by ateo]

Cyanide41 - 2-23-2012 at 01:34 PM

looks like a great trip, thanks for sharing

sanquintinsince73 - 2-23-2012 at 01:42 PM

Bro, I would have stayed and had a few brewski's with you but my step-son and wifey's nephew were eager to get back and continue their little "party".Glad you enjoyed those oysters.

Ateo - 2-23-2012 at 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sanquintinsince73
Bro, I would have stayed and had a few brewski's with you but my step-son and wifey's nephew were eager to get back and continue their little "party".Glad you enjoyed those oysters.

Ha ha! In no way was I stating above that you just took off.
;D

I knew you had a party to get back to! I just wanted to make you sound like a mysterious gift giver who appears from nowhere, then"retreats into the night". ;D;D

motoged - 2-23-2012 at 02:04 PM

Looks like a good trip....

but you could have left those Blundstones on the steps of the store in El Rosario instead of the fire....someone would have loved them :saint:

Surfers don't do low impact camping....?:saint:

Skipjack Joe - 2-23-2012 at 02:05 PM

That was a great trip report, ateo.

I thoroughly enjoyed it.

P.S. expect a post from Ken Cooke soon about the snack food.

Ateo - 2-23-2012 at 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged

but you could have left those Blundstones on the steps of the store in El Rosario instead of the fire....someone would have loved them :saint:

Good eye on the Blundstones. I'd never heard of them till this trip and in fact told my friend to donate to the local fishermen. They could've manufactured some new soles!! ;D;D

But you know, sometimes it just feels good to burn something up............

Nice Trip!

El Vergel - 2-23-2012 at 02:11 PM

Very cool report, thanks for the share. The mud part has me confused.....should I be having my car washed before the border? :lol:

bacquito - 2-23-2012 at 02:16 PM

It is true that mud, dirt from any country is prohibited entry into the USA but it is rarely enforced if the mud is from Mexico. The cars from the Baja 1000 always have alot of mud.
Also it should it be noted that mud from the USA is prohibited entry into Mexico (rarely enfoced!).
It looks like you had a good time!

Ateo - 2-23-2012 at 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bacquito
It is true that mud, dirt from any country is prohibited entry into the USA but it is rarely enforced if the mud is from Mexico. The cars from the Baja 1000 always have alot of mud.
Also it should it be noted that mud from the USA is prohibited entry into Mexico (rarely enfoced!).
It looks like you had a good time!

Next time I'm that muddy I will definitely get a wash in Baja. It's true that I could be carrying some sort of contaminant, and I just don't want the hassle.........next time I'll hit the car wash La Curva in Colonet!

Cypress - 2-23-2012 at 03:04 PM

ateo, Thanks. Those oysters look mighty tasty.;D

Bichito - 2-23-2012 at 05:03 PM

Thank you SQsince83! That delicious gift set a nice tone for the rest of the trip.

Bichito - 2-23-2012 at 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ateo
Quote:
Originally posted by motoged

Good eye on the Blundstones. I'd never heard of them till this trip and in fact told my friend to donate to the local fishermen. They could've manufactured some new soles!! ;D;D

But you know, sometimes it just feels good to burn something up............

I second that... We really did consider donating those shoes...the soles were beyond repair though. After that fun little fuego we cleaned up the site better than we found it. What a great time! Thanks for documenting Ateo. I'm too lazy for camera work.

David K - 2-23-2012 at 05:12 PM

We got a mud lecture by U.S. customs several years ago and now stop at a car wash before heading across the border. The Tacoma Love probably saved you from being sent back to Mexico! :rolleyes::D;):tumble:

bigzaggin - 2-25-2012 at 09:13 AM

Why not just admit you're running mud for Chapo Guzman?

Awesome report. That's a fun wave.

woody with a view - 2-25-2012 at 09:57 AM

i gotta get back out there.

work is real good right now so i just gotta deal with it. heck, being on a tropical Pacific island all week ain't 1/2 bad.....:D

woody with a view - 2-25-2012 at 10:04 AM

funny thing about Mexican snack names. anyone know a Filipino? one of my friends has been saying, "i gotta takis" every time he needs to take a #2. when i saw the truck with the Takis advertising on the side i couldn't believe it....

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bajahowodd - 2-25-2012 at 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ateo
Got a few days off and headed for Baja with the guys in search of fun, food, drink, and surf. It was a successful adventure........

We headed down on a Friday of a holiday weekend and expected traffic chaos -- but it never materialized. We arrived at Jardines de Baja at around 7PM. We headed to the restaurant next door and had a Pacifico when fellow Baja Nomad "sanquintinsince83" arrived. He brought us a very gracious and tasty gift -- fresh oysters. I headed out to the parking lot to accept the catch, say thanks, and just like that -- sanquintinsince83 -- retreated quietly into the night, heading back to Don Eddie's.

I'd like to take a second and say thanks to SQsince83 for starting our trip out right. It was one of those baja gifts that just falls in your lap and makes the day. While we were halfway into our Jardines carne asada burritos, when the restaurant manager curiously came over to admire the oyster catch, then offering to serve them up for us. He came back 15 minutes later and presented us 3 plates full of 24 oysters (SanQ gave us 4 dozen in total!!), opened with limes and ready to be attacked. We polished them off and even donated a few to the couple at the bar.

The next morning it was time to head south. The garden at Jardines:

Stop off in El Rosario for breakfast - Mi Casita - a good restaurant:

On to our destination:

We arrived late afternoon, after a little exploring, and got a quick surf in before fading into the Baja night. Things can get a little blurry when you're so far from civilization.......

The next morning it was time to fish. Fellow nomad bichito looking for lobster:

We got skunked in the fish and lobster arena, but redeemed ourselves with some clams and mussels -- much easier to find.....

We wandered the hillside and beach, killing time, waiting for a lower tide, then went for a surf.

Then we surfed, ate, relaxed, explored, for the next 4 days until it was time to head home.

We stopped for carne asada tortas and french fries at Mi Casita on the way north:

Anyone know what this plastic tunnel is at the checkpoint? Wind hideout?

Strange name for a snack - Negrito. Something tells me this wouldn't be a hit in the US.

The next few hours were a baja twilight haze - racing for the border. We got to San Ysidro and we're stoked to find only about 50 cars per lane. When we got to the inspection booth the officers started commenting on the mud that was baked on the truck. The inspector was saying "you know you can get a car wash in TJ pretty cheap", and we were kind of laughing and keeping things light. He made me get out of the car and clean the front license plate so it was legible, then proceeded to send our butts to secondary. Supposedly mud is now a prohibited item when re-entering the USA.

Argh!!!!! Just wanted to get home before midnight!!!! We waited in secondary before being interrogated about where we went in Baja, for how long, how often do we go to Baja, and did we have any weapons, guns or ammo. Then came the lecture about mud and how it could carry microbes, cow poop, flies, alien bacteria. After about 20 minutes they told us to get in the truck and wait for them to come back. The thought crossed my mind that we might get sent back across the border for a car wash.

While we waited another officer came by and we just chatted about how kick-butt the Toyota Tacoma is. This guy calibrated my mood back to even, and to this guy I'd like to say thanks.

Finally, we were released with a warning, having our passports flagged for future mud smuggling, and a paper stating restricted items, which the officer noted -- didn't include mud, but he swore he'd seen one recently -- listing mud.......;););)

We headed home on the enormous freeway system we have here in the states and got home before midnight.

A classic Baja adventure.

I'm assuming that the restaurant manager to whom you refer was Carlos. He's married to Esmeralda, the daughter of El Jefe de Jardines, Guillermo. They are an immensely cordial and hospitable family'

Ateo - 2-25-2012 at 06:10 PM

You got that right. Very cordial. I was amazed they even entertained the idea of cooking up some food that we brought into the restaurant. Never would've happened in the USA.

woody with a view - 2-25-2012 at 06:12 PM

do you REALLY have to quote the whole damn thing? we'd know to whom you were refering(sp?)......

Ateo - 2-25-2012 at 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigzaggin
Why not just admit you're running mud for Chapo Guzman?

Awesome report. That's a fun wave.

That wasn't mud, it was colored spray-on cocaine! They should've brought a dog over for a wiff. :spingrin:

Yeah, a fun wave for sure. Was surfed out.

Paulina - 2-25-2012 at 06:21 PM

Thanks for taking the time to write up a trip report. Those ostiones looked way too good!

P>*)))>{