BajaNomad

Oh well.....

acadist - 2-25-2012 at 01:34 PM

I recently bought a 2005 TJ to start using as my Baja adventure vehicle. Last Sunday I found a roof rack for a great price on eBay. Monday morning on the way to work in slick snowy conditions I rolled it :fire:

Well, the insurance company has called it totaled. Now I am waiting for the exact payoff to find out exactly how much they will pay. Fortunately I got a good enough deal that I should break even.
Luckily my only injuries are 2 minor bruises where the seat belt held me upside down after it rolled.

acadist - 2-25-2012 at 01:36 PM

Anybody want to buy a roof rack? Lol

Ken Cooke - 2-25-2012 at 01:38 PM

Rollovers happen all of the time. With a great catalogue from Quadratech.com you should be up and driving again with a new windshield, windshield frame, hood, and go for some good fenders from Genright.com or arched tube fenders by METALCLOAK. Also, a nice cage by Poison Spyder will protect you next time this happens.

acadist - 2-25-2012 at 01:47 PM

I actually think the body shop may have overvalued the repair so that the insurance would have to total it , and someone gets a sweet deal to rebuild it with a salvage title. That being said, all the sheet metal from the doors forward need to be replaced, the frame has not been measured yet to see if it is bent but both doors have buckles. Motor starts but smokes badly. I did not think it was too bad but it was 4:30 am and dark.

Paul rolled it, bought it back, then MODIFIED it!

Ken Cooke - 2-25-2012 at 01:48 PM

I guess, this is the cheap way to buy a Jeep...Have your Ins. Co. pay it off, you purchase it (cheap), then modify it.

Paul F. on the Baja Pole Line Road

He built this Jeep Rubicon up with all of the good stuff. Long Arm suspension, Goodyear MTR tires, ARB Snorkle Kit, Roll Cage, the works!

David K - 2-25-2012 at 03:47 PM

"Rollovers happen all of the time"

Yah, it's a "Jeep Thing"!:rolleyes::spingrin:

BajaBlanca - 2-25-2012 at 05:13 PM

so sorry to hear that !! and glad that you are OK !!

Islandbuilder - 2-25-2012 at 07:38 PM

Hopefully the smoking is just oil on the wrong side of the wiggly bits from being upside down. We've been driving out totalled Ford Exploder for 2 years, and figure it needs to give us another couple before we can buy something new(ish).

Glad you're OK, but it's pretty tough when you stand up and look back at your baby. Sorry.

BajaBlanca - 2-25-2012 at 07:41 PM

we bought a friend's totaled geo tracker and we love it for Baja !! al it had was a dent on the side (big) and the airbags were useless (blown). For driving around la bocana it is PERFECT.

woody with a view - 2-25-2012 at 09:13 PM

^^^^ what they said ^^^^

whatever you do, find out what the payoff is. ask the shop how much to REALLY fix it. get in front of this and make your insurance aware that you want to buy the POS, as it has minimal value.

i know a guy who did this TWICE and is still smiling.