BajaNomad

Playas de Tijuana (toll road) to San Ysidro Border: Via Rapida re-opened

Woooosh - 2-27-2012 at 10:50 AM

The Via Rapida (main route to the San Ysidro border from Playas de Tijuana and the tollroad) has finally re-opened after the re-paving project. No more driving through downtown TJ. Hopefully no more flooding in that area too (doubt it).

I am also VERY HAPPY the security cameras along the via rapida have been re-installed. They were put up in 2006 to protect tourists driving "the gauntlet", but were taken down over a contract dispute (and from the Police and Military at C4 using the camera images against each other). I am pleasantly surprised Baja is showing some real concern for tourists passing through that area.

[Edited on 2-27-2012 by Woooosh]

Ateo - 2-27-2012 at 11:26 AM

Yeah. Drove it last week and it was nice to not have to do 2nd street. Nice new cement pavement. As far as the regular border lines, I'd hug the right lane next to the vendors. It went about 10 times faster as it opens into about 10 other lanes. My buddy told me to hang towards the left lanes, so I did, and watched the lanes next to the vendors haul ass by us. The lanes next to the booths they tore down were the slowest. Just my experience that one day.....

The Gull - 2-27-2012 at 11:33 AM

Yes, now we can get to the world's greatest time crap shoot, even faster. Sentri lane at Otay still gets my vote.

Ateo - 2-27-2012 at 11:36 AM

I'm renewing my passport next week and getting the card! Can't wait.

BornFisher - 2-27-2012 at 11:38 AM

Thanks for the info.

Bajamatic - 2-27-2012 at 02:07 PM

what a bummer the 2nd street detour was. Although I have to admit I haven't been through the bustling part of TJ in a long time and it was fun to see it on a Saturday afternoon in full swing and it was kinda fun.

Woooosh - 2-27-2012 at 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajamatic
what a bummer the 2nd street detour was. Although I have to admit I haven't been through the bustling part of TJ in a long time and it was fun to see it on a Saturday afternoon in full swing and it was kinda fun.

It was fun, wasn't it. A quick drive-by once in a while reminds me most people in TJ are just normal city folks going about their busy day.

LaPazGringo - 2-28-2012 at 02:00 PM

The only good part of the detour was being able to fill up with $2.79/gal gas right at the very end. But I ain't complainin'!

Woooosh - 2-28-2012 at 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LaPazGringo
The only good part of the detour was being able to fill up with $2.79/gal gas right at the very end. But I ain't complainin'!

Mexico could be #1 in Petro-tourism if you didn't have to burn your savings waiting in line to get back to the USA.

Bajafun777 - 2-28-2012 at 07:47 PM

With a Sentri you would not have to burn up your savings Woooosh, still the best card to have in your wallet,LOL. All of my friends that just would not listen about getting the Sentri later said they could just kick themselves once the got and used it! Take Care & Travel Safe---"No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

willardguy - 2-28-2012 at 08:21 PM

I also kinda like 2nd street. theres alot to look at and you dont have to make that left turn and fend off the window washers!