BajaNomad

Toll booth is open to Otay

bajachris - 2-28-2012 at 09:52 PM

The toll booth/exit from the northbound beach toll road at Fox Studios is finally open going to Otay, Tecate, and Mexicali toll roads. Cost is about 26 pesos.

We just got back from Guerrero Negro. Lots of cattle on the road everywhere. Had to stop completely for calves in the road. Even saw a dead cow on the side of the road. Don't drive at night.

Road conditions are best ever. Only about 2 miles of graded road construction near Guerrero. Road is much wider through most of the desert.

El Jefe - 2-29-2012 at 09:52 AM

So, is this route preferable (faster, easier) to Tecate for northbound border crossing vs. Hwy 3 out of Ensenada?

We like the scenic drive through the vineyards on 3, but sometimes after several hours on the road we just want to get across.

David K - 2-29-2012 at 09:59 AM

Gone both ways, and now that Hwy. 3 construction is done or minimal, I would vote for that way (from Ensenada or south). If construction is back on or you are in the Rosarito to La Mision area, then use the Corredor 2000 to Otay or Tecate (use the free road to Tecate as it is shorter and 4 lanes all the way).

DENNIS - 2-29-2012 at 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Gone both ways, and now that Hwy. 3 construction is done or minimal, I would vote for that way (from Ensenada or south). If construction is back on or you are in the Rosarito to La Mision area, then use the Corredor 2000 to Otay or Tecate (use the free road to Tecate as it is shorter and 4 lanes all the way).

Road work is definitely under way again. Nomad DurrellRobert/AKA Bob made the big Baja error of driving it at night a few weeks back and almost losteverything going into a narrow, unlit construction zone and having a semi coming towards him almost end it all.
This is, I believe, on the Ensenada side of Testerazo....somewhere up there.

Again, for those new to the toll road from 2000 over to Tecate....it's pricey compared to the other sections at, last time I was on it, about 86 P's for 16 miles although at this time of the year when everything is clean and green, it's worth all of it.

David K - 2-29-2012 at 12:52 PM

Right, use the free road to Tecate from Corredor 2000... it is four lanes and shorter... and free!

durrelllrobert - 2-29-2012 at 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

Road work is definitely under way again. Nomad DurrellRobert/AKA Bob made the big Baja error of driving it at night a few weeks back and almost losteverything going into a narrow, unlit construction zone and having a semi coming towards him almost end it all.
This is, I believe, on the Ensenada side of Testerazo....somewhere up there.

Again, for those new to the toll road from 2000 over to Tecate....it's pricey compared to the other sections at, last time I was on it, about 86 P's for 16 miles although at this time of the year when everything is clean and green, it's worth all of it.
Dennis is right. At about 5:30 AM I came upon an unlight "arrow" sign backed by a huge pile of sand that was completely blocking the right hand lane. No cones or anything else proceeding this. I'm sure that during daytime there is a flagman to stop traffic for this one lane construction zone that is about 1/2 mile long. Anyway I locked up the brakes, cut it hard left and the right to correct skid and ended up sideways across the other lane. Just then I saw the headlights of a tractor trailer bearing down on me a just barely managed to restart car and squeeze it between 2 barrels to let him by.

DENNIS - 2-29-2012 at 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
[Just then I saw the headlights of a tractor trailer bearing down on me a just barely managed to restart car and squeeze it between 2 barrels to let him by.

The Horn. Tell'em about the Horn. That's the fun part.....the Horn.
beepbeep....outatheway greeengo. :lol:

David K - 2-29-2012 at 01:06 PM

More resons than cows on the road for not driving in the dark!