BajaNomad

1st time bring the boat

angbrown - 2-29-2012 at 04:07 PM

We are headed to mulege and loreto for a month in late march thru april. We are bringing a 15' aluminum boat w/ a 25hp motor. As a newbie to boating in the sea of cortez, I know you have advice. I'd love to hear it. Thanks.

chuckie - 2-29-2012 at 04:16 PM

Use it! Catch fish! Mulege has 2 launch sites, one on each side of the river. The easiest one to use is on the North side by the lighthouse. Road has just been graded so you can get there with all your fillings, and even at lowtide the ramp is usable..Be careful the pond is long and skinny and can blow up in a hurry....Motor problem? see Bernie, ask at Sauls Market....

BajaWarrior - 2-29-2012 at 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by angbrown
We are headed to mulege and loreto for a month in late march thru april. We are bringing a 15' aluminum boat w/ a 25hp motor. As a newbie to boating in the sea of cortez, I know you have advice. I'd love to hear it. Thanks.

Make sure you have your current registration for the boat (and trailer?) with you when crossing the border. And have a good time.

[Edited on 2-29-2012 by BajaWarrior]

Diver - 2-29-2012 at 04:24 PM

If you plan to beach launch ... beach launches are downhill.
You can drive or drag the boat down to the water.
Bring a stout rope to pull the boat back up the beach to where you can reach it with the trailer.
Beach wheels help but you can't always get the truck that close to the water.

Check the weather, go out in the morning and beware afternoon winds.
Head out upwind if any wind is predicted so you can ride home with the swell.

If caught in wind, get some weight in the bow to help tracking.
Even a 5 gallon bucket or cooler of sand or water helps a lot in a small tin boat.

Bob and Susan - 2-29-2012 at 04:26 PM

yea the border guys like to check registration

we launch our 15 footer right off the beach...

you won't need "no stink'in launch ramps" there are no waves
it's like a lake

Islandbuilder - 2-29-2012 at 04:46 PM

Sorry if this is stuff you know, but the Boy Scout in me needs to say:
Bring a handheld VHF, or 2, so that someone on the beach has a radio on, set to the pre-arranged channel, and on their belt the whole time you're out.
Make sure your flare kit is current and complete.
PFD's for everyone on board.
Bailing bucket and pump (I like kayak pumps to get the corners dry.
Nothing moves more water than a scared guy with a bucket!
Consider bringing something to create shade, some umbrellas?
Tools and spares. Two gas cans, both full. I cannot conceive of leaving the beach with only one can of gas, no matter how short your planned trip is going to be.
Okay, sorry. Have a great trip!

[Edited on 2-29-2012 by Islandbuilder]

Don't forget

bajaguy - 2-29-2012 at 04:52 PM

When you buy insurance for your car/truck, don't forget insurance for the boat trailer.............

http://www.bajabound.com/

DaliDali - 2-29-2012 at 05:11 PM

1.5oz chrome w/prism tape Krocodiles.

At least 10

woody with a view - 2-29-2012 at 05:52 PM

i'm prepping to bring my 12' valco to LA Bay late this spring. i can't wait!!!

Diver - 2-29-2012 at 07:25 PM

And some extra spark plugs and a carb kit if there's any doubt.
Also make very sure that your hose and bulb are in good shape as the sun can dry them and a leak is bad news.
Depth finders are nice toys too !

Hendo - 2-29-2012 at 07:27 PM

Back up bottle of Tequila! You know. Safety first.:spingrin:

Bob and Susan - 2-29-2012 at 07:29 PM

...and a cooler for the dorado

gnukid - 2-29-2012 at 07:30 PM

mex fishing license for each gringo on board

fishing knife, pliers, bucket, fishing pole leashes

lime salt and pepper

don't overpack

Russ - 2-29-2012 at 10:03 PM

I like to clean/filet my catch asap and get it on ice. So ziplock bags and a cooler large enough for beer food and fish. Buddy boat when possible and the radio is a must. Ch. 73 for chivato area.

woody with a view - 3-1-2012 at 06:35 AM

anyone know what channel in LA BAY?

Cypress - 3-1-2012 at 06:57 AM

Be sure and give us a fishing report. Good luck.:D

Martyman - 3-1-2012 at 02:14 PM

Get out at dawn. If there is wind it will kick up by 11am

Barry A. - 3-1-2012 at 03:08 PM

See if you can find a copy of THE BAJA CATCH, by Gene Kira and Neil Kelly---------a great read, and the BIBLE for small tin-boat fishing in the SOC.

Don't leave home without it---------tells you EVERYTHING you need to know, and a lot of fun learning.

Barry

wsdunc - 3-1-2012 at 03:51 PM

Emergency stuff: A couple gallons of gas, a gallon of water, basic tools including duct tape, spare spark plugs, spare drain plug, flare gun. Radio is a good idea although I never used one, but the I was young and dumb. In the future I plan to.
Oars- my 15 ft gregor has oars and oarlocks. I always carry the oars. I wouldn't want to but if the motor broke I figure I could row a long way (as long as the weather was good). Plus you can row into areas too shallow for your motor. I have also rowed into schools of boiling fish that would disappear if you ran into them using your motor.
The scariest thing is the wind, keep a CLOSE eye on the wind. If I am far offshore and the wind comes up a bit I at least run in closer to shore, so that if it really comes up I can race for the beach.
Once the wind comes up don't mess around, time to go home.
I used to camp at Punta Chivato, so I would fish at the Santa Inez islands, and along the coast on the way up to the south end of San Marcos Island. San Marcos is about as far as I would go. Sometimes straight out a few miles looking for dorado, sailfish, etc.
With any luck you should have great weather, not sure about the fishing at that time of year, may still be yellowtail as the dorado haven't arrived yet? Some of the local experts can enlighten us I'm sure.
However it goes it should be a whole lot of fin. Have a great trip.

angbrown - 3-1-2012 at 04:19 PM

Thanks for all the pointers. We're already making a list.

@Hendo: We were counting on you to bring the tequila?!

baitcast - 3-1-2012 at 04:57 PM

Ah yes McCall Ida. know it well,there was two fine teachers I met one summer at the lodge while home on leave,lived in Boise at the time,I,m sorry O yes Baja:lol:

Don,t know much about Mulege but loved Loreto,not knowing your rig trailering or cartopping,its been awhile :lol:like 4 or 5 years and camped on Playa Ligui for a week and had a fine old time.

No ramp at the time but if you have a 4/wheeler beach launching will be easy,several islands to fishmain ones are Carmen and Danzante,you will find much larger fish at these places than at your lake:lol:

15' tin boat is plenty for the area,one thing about fishing around islands there is a lee side close by,The big Fish CO. is located in town proper bring it up to get up to date fish reports A gal by the name of Pam has it all.

You can bring all sorts of stuff but the main thing to make sure of is bring your motor check all out,grease the wheel bearings,thats about it if your not into beach camping you will find it all in town.

Anyone from McCall can,t be all bad have a fine time and take pic,s and show us,
Rob

chuckie - 3-5-2012 at 04:16 PM

It is actually illegal to filet fish at sea..odds are you wont get caught BUT I have been. checked, on the water, twice this year at Mulege. very nice guy, uniform and all. Told me that they would be doing more checks, enforcing limits. He also asked me to tell all Gringos that in addition to fishing licences for everyone on the boat, they would like to see a picture ID to go with them..Emphasized, it didnt have to be an original...I did so inform people on the Mulege net VHF ch21 M-F at 9am...Have fun..

SFandH - 3-5-2012 at 05:31 PM

I trailered a boat down to Bahia Concepcion for the first time last fall and was glad I bought two more 5 gallon gas cans before I left. I was about 30 miles round trip to the closest gas station and the cans reduced the number of times I had to go and buy gas for the boat. I also took 200 feet of poly rope with me and ran a line from shore to a big rock that I placed deep enough to where I could moor the boat with a float and snap hook on the line. At low tide it was in a foot of water, high tide about 5 feet. Having the line tied to shore gave me the extra security needed if the mooring line came off of the submerged rock when the wind picked up.

watizname - 3-6-2012 at 09:38 AM

If you don't fillet the fish right away, at least bleed him as quickly as possible, and get cool. Important for Dorado, they have a delicate meat that gets mushy quickly. Watch the wind, and have a blast. I'm jealouse.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: