BajaNomad

Hwy 1 to San Javier to Loreto

Elizzabizzy - 3-1-2012 at 03:56 PM

Has anyone recently traveled the road from Hwy 1 S over the Mts. to San Javier then on to Loreto?

We traveled part of that road a number of years ago and it took us about 2 hours to get from Loreto to San Javier and we were in a Jeep Liberty; the road was nearly washed out in a couple of places and a few of the switchbacks were severe.

I've "heard" that the road is in better condition now, but with the heavy rigs we'll be in (Dodge 1-ton duelly w/trailer and F-250 3/4 ton van w/trailer) I have concerns about getting across. Thinking we might have to go to Cuidad Insurgentes to Loreto; anyone have recent info and thoughts on this route?

We're currently in Portland, OR leaving March 10-31 so we won't be there for 2-1/2 +/- weeks. Appreciate any info you have.

This is the section of road that I am inquiring about.

[Edited on 3-2-2012 by Elizzabizzy]

San Javier map.gif - 43kB

Elizzabizzy - 3-1-2012 at 04:08 PM

I'm inquring about the road from the Pacific side at approximately between Santo Domingo and Colonia Purisma that heads East up the San Javier Arroyo to San Javier then on to Loreto.

David K - 3-1-2012 at 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Elizzabizzy
I'm inquring about the road from the Pacific side at approximately between Santo Domingo and Colonia Purisma that heads East up the San Javier Arroyo to San Javier then on to Loreto.

Ah, okay... that is Hwy. 53 over on that side... I don't recall reading any recent reports on that road. Hope someone will have info. for you!

[Edited on 3-1-2012 by David K]

Oddjob - 3-1-2012 at 04:25 PM

I travelled on that route last week. The road is now paved from Francisco Villa to almost San Miguel Comondu. The road from there past San Jose Comondu to the San Javier road is pretty rough and rocky, but a truck, preferably with 4 wheel drive will make it okay, although it will take a while. They are back working on the pavement to San Javier and there are lots of men and equipment.

David K - 3-1-2012 at 04:43 PM

The road she is asking about is not that one... it is the road that goes south from San Javier then west to Hwy. 53 near Santo Domingo.

Elizzabizzy - 3-1-2012 at 05:47 PM

Thanks David K--
I edited my original post and uploaded a portion of the map highlighting the section of road that I am asking about. Don't know how you were able to get such a large pic in your post, I had to keep compressing until I got under 50kb and that little section is what I ended up with. Anyway, I think it serves the purpose of illustrating the road that I am needing info on.

Thanks for the input so far, hope to receive specific info on Hwy 53.

David K - 3-1-2012 at 05:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks David K--
I edited my original post and uploaded a portion of the map highlighting the section of road that I am asking about. Don't know how you were able to get such a large pic in your post, I had to keep compressing until I got under 50kb and that little section is what I ended up with. Anyway, I think it serves the purpose of illustrating the road that I am needing info on.

Thanks for the input so far, hope to receive specific info on Hwy 53.

Good job with the map!

To have larger photos/maps on Nomad, they need to be hosted on another site, like Photobucket.com. No 50 kb limit that way, just a requested pixel limit of 800 (that still isn't followed by everyone)... Here's how:

HOW TO RESIZE & POST PHOTOS ON NOMAD (using Photobucket.com)

For Nomads who have been posting too big photos on Nomad... Doug has asked (and those with standard 15" monitors appreciate) to limit the pixel width to a max. of 800.

The sizing is done when you upload photos TO Photobucket from your PC. So, if you didn't do that already... and they are at the full size setting, they will stretch the Nomad pages wide (on normal monitors).

How to resize them with Photobucket, on your album page:

1) Click the red button 'UPLOAD' at the top of the Photobucket page.

2) At the bottom of the Upload box that appears, see (in small blue text): 'Customize your upload options', and click that.

3) Choose a reduced size. 640x480 is nice for most photos. I usually only go to the 800x600 size for maps for max. detail on Nomad.

4) At the bottom, click 'SAVE'! Thats it!!!

Now, until you change that setting, all photos will be uploaded to Photobucket at whatever reduced size you picked!

To post your photos on Nomad, use your mouse and copy the link called 'IMG Code', below the photo you want to show... and paste it onto Nomad where you type in your text... You can post several photos at a time, but I suggest not more than a dozen, and double space between each phot link. Specially if you add some captions under each photo.

Road

tehag - 3-1-2012 at 06:02 PM

I have been over that road several times. Twice in a rented SUV. Never used 4WD, but I'm glad it wasn't my SUV. Pulling a trailer might be a bit much as there are stretches of extremely narrow and uneven roadbed. From Loreto as far as San Xavier it is an easy zip, south from there it does not do zip at all.

BajaNomad - 3-1-2012 at 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
To have larger photos/maps on Nomad, they need to be hosted on another site

That's not entirely accurate.

While many people will keep reducing the image dimensions to reduce the file size, there are other ways to achieve smaller file sizes - such as lossy image compression. Just reduce the image "quality" without reducing the dimensions (or some combination of both to retain some of the larger dimensions - just depends on the image).

It can be as simple as using this online tool that I've shared a link to previously:

http://www.webresizer.com/resizer/

There's a description of lossy compression here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lossy

And yes, there may be some upcoming changes here that make this a moot point. But for now, there you go.

tiotomasbcs - 3-1-2012 at 06:48 PM

The road is not for trailers or RVs! Exploration for those small n4wd and motos. Great adventure if you post camp in Loreto and go adventuring. Red wine, spoliodi! Treat the locals as if they are not a sideshow/ better try your Spqanish and make new friends! Beautiful backcountry! Tio

Paula - 3-1-2012 at 09:27 PM

It is actually faster to go on hiway one to Insurgentes, then north on the paved road however far you are going. It can be badly potholed, but they repair it often. I don't know how it is now. I'm pretty sure this would be the better route from Santo Domingo to Loreto. Not much mileage is saved on the dirt road.

bill erhardt - 3-2-2012 at 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad

That's not entirely accurate.

While many people will keep reducing the image dimensions to reduce the file size, there are other ways to achieve smaller file sizes - such as lossy image compression. Just reduce the image "quality" without reducing the dimensions (or some combination of both to retain some of the larger dimensions - just depends on the image).

It can be as simple as using this online tool that I've shared a link to previously:

http://www.webresizer.com/resizer/

There's a description of lossy compression here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lossy

And yes, there may be some upcoming changes here that make this a moot point. But for now, there you go.

Now. that's some good news......

TMW - 3-2-2012 at 11:35 AM

That section of road is used by SCORE and NORRA for their races to La Paz. I would not recomment taking a trailer.

Road to San Javier

Elizzabizzy - 3-2-2012 at 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
That section of road is used by SCORE and NORRA for their races to La Paz. I would not recomment taking a trailer.

Thank you all for your input about both the road conditions of our proposed route and about uploading pix on this site.

Having driven part of the road several years ago from Loreto to San Javier, we thought it might be a stretch with the rigs we're taking this time and also pulling trailers. I'm sure we will take the alternate route of going S on Hwy 53 to Cuidad Insurgentes then N on Hwy 1 to Loreto.

Many thanks again for all your information, it is sincerely appreciated.

David K - 3-2-2012 at 07:14 PM

Sure thing, and as youi know the San Javier mission is the jewel of all Baja missions and the road to it from Loreto is nearly all paved.

Elizzabizzy - 3-2-2012 at 07:51 PM

Luv San Javier. When we were there about 4 yrs ago the road was pretty bad, however the trip was well worth it. A local man was working on the crew laying the stones in the hugh courtyard and we asked him if there was someplace to get a cold beer and he directed us to his house (didn't know it at the time until he came home for lunch). We had an icecold beer and asked the woman if she had lime, and she reached out the back door and picked limes right off the tree. It is a very special place, the gardens, the irrigation system and of course the church, very special indeed. Good to know that the road is in good shape now; thanks for the info.

July, 2009

David K - 3-3-2012 at 10:41 AM

Elizzabizzy - 3-3-2012 at 06:29 PM

David K--
Need a "Like" button here. Great shots, we're looking forward to taking our friends up there, I know they'll really enjoy seeing it. Thanks for the pix.

Elizabeth

Sweetwater - 3-3-2012 at 07:17 PM

The road is in great condition....I did it last March 2011 and just 2 weeks ago....both times on motos....

This year the route took us from Highway 1 north through Zaragosa then off on the road which is well marked coming from the south.

It has been graded the entire way to San Javier with the rocky washes smoothed out and the sandy ruts graded away....Poser material for sure.....

I don't even think you'd need a 4x4 to drive it.....and the pavement on the other side of SJ has been extended quite a bit....but watch out for a few fallen rocks and don't overshoot any of those twisties....

I have heard that the reason for the persistent improvement is that the entire stretch will be paved soon.....kinda sad to see that happen.....

Elizzabizzy - 3-3-2012 at 07:40 PM

Hola Sweetwater--
I'll have to show your post to my husband, he has a KTM and a couple of years ago he and a buddy did a 5-wk trip to Alaska & Canada, they had a blast, he'd luv to be making this trip on his KTM!

So are you saying that you think we can make it from the the sign in your pic up to San Javier in big heavy rigs pulling trailers? One is a 1-ton duelly weighs in @ about 8-9K + trailer with inflatable boat. We're in a 3/4 ton van + trailer pulling ATVs & kayaks. I totally understand what you mean about all the roads being paved, one of our goals is to travel as many dirt roads as possible on this trip. We'd luv to take that route but don't want to get in trouble. We were thinking of taking the alternate route South of where you're standing on Hwy 53 to Cuidad Insurgentes to Hwy 1 then North to Loreto.

Great pix BTW, appreciate you input and what you think about us making it to San Javier from that road sign.

Muchas gracias,
Elizabeth

Sweetwater - 3-4-2012 at 09:21 AM

Quote:
Hola Sweetwater--
I'll have to show your post to my husband, he has a KTM and a couple of years ago he and a buddy did a 5-wk trip to Alaska & Canada, they had a blast, he'd luv to be making this trip on his KTM!

So are you saying that you think we can make it from the the sign in your pic up to San Javier in big heavy rigs pulling trailers? One is a 1-ton duelly weighs in @ about 8-9K + trailer with inflatable boat. We're in a 3/4 ton van + trailer pulling ATVs & kayaks. I totally understand what you mean about all the roads being paved, one of our goals is to travel as many dirt roads as possible on this trip. We'd luv to take that route but don't want to get in trouble. We were thinking of taking the alternate route South of where you're standing on Hwy 53 to Cuidad Insurgentes to Hwy 1 then North to Loreto.

Great pix BTW, appreciate you input and what you think about us making it to San Javier from that road sign.

Muchas gracias,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth,

I''m pretty conservative with my equipment and probably would not run what you described across that stretch.....but I don't think you would get into trouble doing it.....the trick is the amount of weight, as you well know, motos don't sink into softer material the way fully loaded rigs do......the edge of construction, east of San Javier would be another area of concern....tight turns with construction equipment and no turnoff to follow....they're on the road working while you go through....

Elizzabizzy - 3-4-2012 at 10:29 AM

Happy Sunday Sweetwater--
I should've been more specific in my question to you after your description of the road from the Santo Domingo turnoff to San Javier. Yes, it is the unpaved stretch from San Javier to Loreto that we are concerned about. We've traveled that part of the road before in a small Jeep and the switchbacks and narrow road are a concern to us in these big, heavy rigs pulling trailers that we're traveling in this time. Many thanks for your input, the real-time info from this forum is fantastic. We'll probably stick with the alternate route I mentioned in the previous post.

Many thanks,
E.

dysco - 3-25-2012 at 12:03 PM

Info good as of 3.16.12.

The pavement ends (from the Loreto side) a fair bit after the little stone church. I can't think of any major dirt switchbacks. The paved road was pretty tight and steep, but not bad.

Here are two of the detours, all are managable with a trailer if you take your time:

After San Javier, this is the only major squeezy spot:

The rest of the road is like this (heading west):

David K - 3-25-2012 at 01:01 PM

Nice highway update photos!

Thank you for sharing them here and on the Gonzaga thread.

Welcome to Baja Nomad... and I must say this is a great way to start posting here, by giving us updated info on the roads. Looking forward to more posts from you!

dysco - 3-25-2012 at 04:01 PM

You're welcome and thanks. I was in Baja for the first time between the 9th and 18th. I was going to camp off a moto with a friend, but my bike died north of the border so I took his truck down and supported his moto ride. It was great fun and I can't wait to come back with a functional bike and my fishing gear. Somebody posted about this site on my ADV rider dog report so I figured I'd offer what info I had.

Mike

motoged - 3-25-2012 at 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dysco
..... Somebody posted about this site on my ADV rider dog report so I figured I'd offer what info I had.Mike

Mike,
I will humbly take credit for that :lol:

As for dogs....I like them as long as someone else owns them....I prefer cats.....

And a cat would simply jump up... (I think cats are a bit smarter):

http://www.wimp.com/dogbackyard/

Elizzabizzy - 4-8-2012 at 03:56 PM

Thanks all for your updates on the San Javier (sure hope I spelled it correctly) road. We reached crossed at Mexicali East where I purchased a MX data card that wasn't activated correctly when at TelCel, made it to Loreto a week later and spent 2 days at a friend's house there, unhooked the trailers and my husband Roger went with our friends to San Javier while I stayed behind to get my data card correctly activated only to be out of reach on "The Far Side" of Bahia Concepcion for the next week. Roger reported the road is exactly like the pix posted by Dysco...so sorry you only had 9 days for your trip! So I'm trying to catch up on my blog now that we are back home, after the fact, but these darn taxes need doing, so it's going to be awhile longer before I'm caught up. We had a fabulous trip, thanks to all for your updates, the info was all very relevant and helpful!

David K - 4-8-2012 at 06:14 PM

You get an A+ on the San Javier spelling! :bounce:

windgrrl - 4-8-2012 at 08:48 PM

Travelled from Loreto to San Javier and back on March 18/12. The paved part is lovely with a few steep sections and hairpin turns. The pavement ends and road construction begins for about 20 min. towards San Javier. There were off-road detours not suitable for towed vehicles.