BajaNomad

Surf fishing in early May

castaway$ - 3-6-2012 at 05:17 PM

We finally got our trip planned and once again due to really great economy here in Oregon it's a budget trip. We are flying into Cabo and staying at a friends beachhouse in Todos Santos in May for a couple weeks. I'm looking for advice on surf fishing or rock points etc... Last time we were there in June and I caught a lot of Corvina right in front of the house and it was fun. I know there has to be a lot more options available and I am going to bring a medium weight setup and a medium heavy, both will be spinning rigs. I am willing to travel around because we are renting a car but I'm thinking as far north as La Paz, any recommendations? Ideas?

woody with a view - 3-6-2012 at 05:34 PM

stay on the pacific side if you're fishing from shore, unless rooster fish are on your bucket list!;D

BigOly - 3-6-2012 at 05:53 PM

There's all kinds of fish on the Pacific side and Cortez side of Baja. I caught this rooster with a ranger tipped with a half beak that was chased up on shore.( by the roosterfish)

woody with a view - 3-6-2012 at 06:17 PM

i guess that qualifies as a "bird", Oly!

nice work.

CortezBlue - 3-6-2012 at 06:22 PM

Go to Los Cerritos at K65 and drink beer and the chili rellenos

grizzlyfsh95 - 3-6-2012 at 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigOly
There's all kinds of fish on the Pacific side and Cortez side of Baja. I caught this rooster with a ranger tipped with a half beak that was chased up on shore.( by the roosterfish)

What is a" half beak"...and don't say half of a whole beak!

mtgoat666 - 3-6-2012 at 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by castaway$
We finally got our trip planned and once again due to really great economy here in Oregon it's a budget trip. We are flying into Cabo and staying at a friends beachhouse in Todos Santos in May for a couple weeks. I'm looking for advice on surf fishing or rock points etc... Last time we were there in June and I caught a lot of Corvina right in front of the house and it was fun. I know there has to be a lot more options available and I am going to bring a medium weight setup and a medium heavy, both will be spinning rigs. I am willing to travel around because we are renting a car but I'm thinking as far north as La Paz, any recommendations? Ideas?

mag bay
fish the mangrove channels!
snook! (snooki?)

[Edited on 3-7-2012 by mtgoat666]

BigOly - 3-6-2012 at 06:31 PM

I'm not for sure, for sure, but I think a half beak is a ballyhoo?

woody with a view - 3-6-2012 at 06:33 PM

howzabout this:

hlfbk-rts-640-wb.jpg - 38kB

castaway$ - 3-6-2012 at 07:59 PM

I'd really like to rooster fish, any suggestions on spots to fish?

Cardon Man - 3-7-2012 at 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
stay on the pacific side if you're fishing from shore, unless rooster fish are on your bucket list!;D

Plenty of roosters on the pacific side too!

mulegemichael - 3-7-2012 at 09:21 AM

go to the east cape on the SOC side around la ribera; roosters abound!!

dtbushpilot - 3-7-2012 at 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
go to the east cape on the SOC side around la ribera; roosters abound!!

Mike, there are no more roosters on the East Cape, they've been fished out, don't waste your time coming to the East Cape..........jeeeeezzz next you'll be giving out GPS coordinates :lol::lol::lol:

mulegemichael - 3-7-2012 at 02:37 PM

oops!....sorry david; must've been the adult beverage talking......the roosters are gone!..the roosters are gone!

wessongroup - 3-7-2012 at 04:23 PM

Now that is some kind of catch off the beach ... must have been a blast !! Thanks .. .looks like it was a nice day too ...

castaway$ - 3-7-2012 at 07:00 PM

Don't worry I won't tell anyone about La Ribera;) Are thyere any good spots between Todos and Cabo? We went to San Pedrito once and if I remember right there were some good rock outcroppings on either end, anybody fished there?

[Edited on 3-8-2012 by castaway$]

castaway$ - 3-7-2012 at 07:05 PM

Mtgoat666- Can I fish the mangroves from the shore or do I need to hire a Panga? I'm not opposed to going out in a panga 1-2 times while were there i just gotta keep the costs down. Would that be in San Carlos? Puerto Lopez Mateos?

castaway$ - 3-7-2012 at 07:07 PM

I have fished for Roosters at Tecolote in december and caught smaller 2-7 lb fish, are there any around that area in May?

BigOly - 3-7-2012 at 07:18 PM

Roosterfish like ladyfish, me too. Oh, that's a dorado. They like ladyfish too!