BajaNomad

Kayaking Danzante & Carmen & Mag Bay Whalewatching trip.

djh - 3-11-2012 at 03:19 PM

Our friend Kay wrote the following trip report about her kayak trip Out of Loreto with Sea Kayak Adventures to Danzante and Carmen - and the to Mag Bay for some whale watching.

Kaye is not yet a BajaNomad registered user, so I offered to post her trip report for others to enjoy....

djh

Thought that I would just give you all a little summary of one of the most incredible experiences I have had in all these many years.

Took a trip with Sea Kayak Adventures, Inc. which is a local company, owners are friends.  And they run a really good trip.

This was their 3 x 3 Combo to the Baja of Mexico which included 3 days of kayaking -- the SEA of CORTEZ, followed by 3 days of whale watching --- MAGDALENA BAY on the Pacific side.

We were met by our amazing guides, Edgar and Axel in Loreto, distributed dry bags for our gear for the kayaking.  And I became "Cactus" Kay.  All bags contained labels of local vegetation/sea life/shells, etc. so we could easily tell what was ours.

Kayaks are state of the art doubles, top of the line gear.  We met our boats, all doubles, and ours became "Lemon Lightening".  This became a self fulfilling prophecy as Laurie and I always seemed to be out in front of the pack.  We had to blame it on the boat as I was the oldest in the group.  Twelve of us, a great, compatible bunch of people.  Youngest was 28, the oldest was ME and you all know how old I am.

Departed for Danzante Island, part of a National Marine Park in the Sea of Cortez.  Seas were relatively calm.  Beached for a lunch prepared by our great guides and our panga driver, Valente.  Lots of chopping while avocado, cheese, assorted vegetables were prepared for  huge sandwiches.  Edgar took us on a hike to vantage points over the island.  Got great pictures looking down on our colorful boats and the incredible shades of blue in the water.

After lunch, back to the boats for crossing open water to Isla Carmen where we camped for the night.  Took a little side trip to the limestone cliffs.  Water much rougher here, glad to have the skirt on my boat.

Setting up camp consists of putting up the tent, rain fly, setting up our sleeping bags and pads.  Needed help with the tent, kept getting the rain fly over the opening in the tent.  Edgar to the rescue.

Breakfast was eggs, chiles, cheese all rolled into a tortilla.  This is Mexico, remember?  Coffee, fruit and juices.  YUM.  Then take the tent down after stuffing sleeping bag and pad back into their sacks, sorting our the dry bags and gear that never seemed to be where it belonged and reloading the kayaks. 

Crossed open water back to Danzante where we stopped for lunch, made camp earlier today and took another hike.  The guides are very knowledgeable about the flora and fauna and give really educational lectures as you hike with them.  Afternoon leisurely, warm in the sun, cool in the shade.  Lots of chopping for dinner again.  Dinner is always preceded with Happy Hour.  Margaritas or pina coladas.  Nice.

Winds were really up the morning we left so our original route was altered to allow us to head diagonally across to the mainland, keeping the wind more at our backs.  The guides and Valente are really tuned into the weather and conditions to keep us safe and make it the easiest route they can.  So we kind of got a ride on the waves heading down the coast. 

Lunch at a wide, open sandy beach where we waited for the vans to pick us and our boats up.  Kayaking is at an end.  BooHoo.  On the way back to Loreto, stopped at a little market where Edgar hopped out, came back with two eight packs of ice cold Pacifico!!!  Another surprise treat!

After an overnight in Loreto at the lovely La Mission Hotel, (not to mention a hot shower), we were up, with new dry bags for the trip across the Baja to the Pacific side and our time with the whales.  By this time I was "Sand Dollar" Kay.  About two hours to the Pacific.  Now we had Roberto as our guide.  Into PFD's (personal floatation device or "life vest" to those of us landlubbers), into Pangas (a type of motor boat) and off for a two hour whale watch on our way to Whale Camp.  We were not on the water more than a few minutes before we could see whales spouting.  That was exciting but nothing compared to what we were about to experience.  Seemed to be whales in just about every direction you looked.  Within about another 15 minutes we were up close and then "personal" with these magnificent creatures.  Mag Bay is the birthing spot for gray whales so we saw the moms and her baby, always together.  Soon had a baby against the side of the panga, mom was really close.  And they wanted to interact with us so we all got to pet/pat these beautiful whales.  Babies weigh about 1000 pounds at birth and gain 100 pounds a day and these were probably more than a month old so you can just guess how big they were.  I am still almost speechless when I try to tell people what this experience was like. 

After a tour of one of the mangrove areas which was packed with cormorants, brown pelicans and great blue herons, we were on to "Whale Camp".  This camp was set up, Teri was there, cook tent, shower tent, "facilities" tent, dining dome and sleeping tents scattered here and there in the dunes.  This is a barrier island, all sand dunes and it is located near the entrance to the Bay from the Pacific.  Facing east.  Bay is relatively calm.  But it was windy.  Here we just need to drag our personal gear (dry bags) to a tent  and set up housekeeping.  Sleeping bags and pads were already in place.

Guides were Jessica and Roberto, Teri is one of the owners of Sea Kayak Adventures and has been doing this for 20 years.  The guides were from the Marine Biology school in La Paz, Roberto is doing research on sea turtles.  Wonderful bright, friendly, helpful guides with tons of information to share with us.  What a treat.

Our days were spent on two hour trips out in the pangas to interact with those whales that wished to interact with us.  It was obvious that if they were not interested, they would dive and just leave us alone.  Those who were curious seemed to seek us out.  Everyday was magical.

We were twelve people who shared this adventure with the six guides of Sea Kayak Adventures.  We can never tell those six how much we gained from their willingness and eagerness to share their obvious love of this area with others.  This adventure will always hold a very special place in my memory and heart.

Hope that I have not bored anyone too much.  I have a zillion pictures and will have more from the others on the trip.  If I become more talented with this computer and Picasa, I may be able to load a few and send them on to anyone interested.  I have lots of pictures of the baby whales being petted/patted by my fellow travelers!!!

Adios
Cactus Kay or Sand Dollar Kay or just Plain KAY

bacquito - 3-11-2012 at 03:51 PM

You have not bored me, great report with good information.

J.P. - 3-11-2012 at 04:37 PM

TOO COOL, We went a couple years ago It's really hard to tell someone elst the feeling you get from interacting with those beautiful creatures.:cool::cool: