BajaNomad

Today's Photo - Poker & Spearfishing Sta. Inez - White Sea Bass

Pompano - 3-15-2012 at 06:33 PM

A Good Day...so far.

This afternoon, while diligently working at improving my poker game at Ana's, a pickup pulls up and two guys unload a nice big white sea bass from the box...and proceed to hang it up for Russ to weigh...and me to take some photos.

Here's the big brute...weighing in at 68lbs. Speared by 'Ron', a recent homeowner to Posada Conception. He told me it was at 65 foot off the main island of the Sta. Inez group.

I know that area well, as Two Dogs and I have lost a 'bunch' of mirrolures to some big old bruiser down there!

I am told John is an expert diver and spearfisherman, who can hold his breath free-diving for 4 minutes...dang, now THAT'S a long time!

Bravo, John....good dive, good bag, good times! Hope you enjoy your fish barbeque tonight. That whopper might just feed all of Posada!

I'm gassing up the boat for manana!!!

p.s. Some of the poker mob assembles for a portrait. I was not in the winners circle...again. :rolleyes:

[Edited on 3-16-2012 by Pompano]

willardguy - 3-15-2012 at 06:45 PM

is that john with the shirt I cant read? beautiful croaker!!!

BornFisher - 3-15-2012 at 07:39 PM

Great fish, great pics, thanks!!
WSB is the fat lazy pig of the sea! That`s why it taste so good......."Bacon of the Sea" is what my cousin said!!
Again, beautiful fish!! Congrats!!!

aguachico - 3-15-2012 at 07:41 PM

orale, sweet biscuit grande

willardguy - 3-15-2012 at 07:44 PM

:tumble::tumble::tumble:bacon of the sea:tumble::tumble::tumble:

estebanis - 3-15-2012 at 09:20 PM

T-Shirt Says
If at first you don't succeed. Then maybe you just Suck!!!

htnfool - 3-16-2012 at 06:45 AM

Roger,

you really know how to make a guy feel homesick. I always smile when I see those faces.

Cypress - 3-16-2012 at 07:21 AM

What a fine fish! Thanks for the pictures. Bacon of the Sea? That title belongs to the mullet. The name "Biloxi Bacon" goes back about 150 yrs.:D

baitcast - 3-16-2012 at 08:48 AM

That is a fine fish for sure but I like this pic a bit more,this little lady can show us all a thing or two about WSB fishing.

Pompano - 3-16-2012 at 10:14 AM

baitcast, you have raised a good point about FISHING PHOTOS.

Which photo would most fisherman want to look at, do you suppose?

this one...?

or this one?

Cypress - 3-16-2012 at 10:18 AM

Good point!:D

roundtuit - 3-16-2012 at 11:43 AM

his name is ron

ddawson - 3-16-2012 at 12:20 PM

Very nice!

willardguy - 3-16-2012 at 12:26 PM

I'll be darn. there is a fish in that picture!:smug:

ghost

captkw - 3-16-2012 at 01:26 PM

HOLA,been catching a lot of them that size up in monterey ca.for 7/8 years or so and Imo the best tasting fish around !! and a great fighter to boot...sguid=WSB...... K&T:cool:

baitcast - 3-16-2012 at 01:40 PM

There is a group that fish from those boards standing,I have seen a vid of her working a 8 weight fly rod from her board:o
Rob
Her favorite thing is fishing Mako,s with her guide hubby with a 10 weight,A marine Biologist for the state of Calif. a very unusual lady!

[Edited on 3-16-2012 by baitcast]

htnfool - 3-16-2012 at 01:54 PM

I will vote on which fisherman/woman.

DRUMROLL PLEASE,

and the winner is...............

Sorry JB, it's just that I have been a lesbian since birth and you don't wear bikinis, Thank GOD.

Cypress - 3-16-2012 at 02:41 PM

Who would 'uv known?:yes:

Burbs - 3-16-2012 at 03:04 PM

Wow....white sea bass last year and more this year.
Very nice fish....congrats!

dean miller - 3-16-2012 at 03:08 PM

GREAT WSB

Only about 10 pounds under the current spearfishing world record--so a very presentable fish.

Ron who? Where from?

sdm

roundtuit - 3-16-2012 at 06:28 PM

I have talked to Ron as he is my neighbor and have his permission to post this. The fish is bigger than 68# ,but he don't what to revile the actual weight. If you want to know ask Russ at Lupitas Restaurant at Santispac. If you want to know about Ron, Check Google for Ron Mullins spear fishing and be ready for a surprise :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

dean miller - 3-17-2012 at 12:55 AM

That is Ron Mullins? older - mature -wearing glasses?

I knew his father who was active in SoCa diving 40 years ago..

I think I first met Ron at one of the Fathers of spearfishing meets 20 plus years ago, maybe at the "2000 Fathers of Freediving and Spearfishing" = the last gathering of the orginial tribe - sadly only a handful of the 75 or so who were honored remain alive-but all three of us who were honored from Orange county are still walking upright and breathing air.

On Ocasion I assisted him in Ideing and hopefully aquiring certain antique diving equipmment for his Museum of Spearfishing in Huntington beach.

Apparently now Ron has matured as is slowly sliding into the mature ranks of divers.

You are fortuneate to have Ron as a Baja friend and neighbor--He is a tribute to the world of spearfishing

SDM