... from another stunning trip through paradise - go see for yourself:
http://tinyurl.com/8xtjdjq

[Edited on 3-16-2012 by 4x4abc]

blinzel.jpg - 43kB

TMW - 3-16-2012 at 06:43 AM

That looked like a great trip. The pictures are so sharp and clear. Thanks

wilderone - 3-16-2012 at 07:44 AM

Are you sharing secrets? Where is "I found this beach a year ago"? and also where is "Active mineral spring forming onyx"? Loved the photos - thanks for the armchair adventure!

goldhuntress - 3-16-2012 at 08:04 AM

Really great photos. Looks like a very fun trip and a lot of good times!

Cyanide41 - 3-16-2012 at 08:12 AM

Great pics, Thanks for sharing.

BornFisher - 3-16-2012 at 08:13 AM

Ahhhhhh..................... nothing like women who need no tent and gather wood to cook with! Probably dove for lobster and dug clams too!!! Real Baja women!!!
Congrats on a great trip and thanks for the report!

David K - 3-16-2012 at 08:15 AM

Thanks for 'taking us along'... very cool photos of some of the 'Best of Baja', for sure! Mision San Luis Gonzaga, Agua Verde, Mulege, Scammon's Lagoon, Cataviņa, Coco's Corner, Calamajue Canyon, San Ignacio... GREAT!:bounce::bounce::bounce::cool:

4x4abc - 3-16-2012 at 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
Are you sharing secrets? Where is "I found this beach a year ago"? and also where is "Active mineral spring forming onyx"? Loved the photos - thanks for the armchair adventure!

the spring is in Valle Encantada
the beach (pic above) is Ensenada San Basilio

feel free to follow our tracks:
http://www.baja101.com/Baja-GPS/Beseli.kmz

David K - 3-16-2012 at 08:59 AM

Valle Encantada? Any other nearby names? Thanks!

4x4abc - 3-16-2012 at 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

follow the tracks and you'll find it
you want to some exploring/searching for yourself

4x4abc - 3-16-2012 at 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BornFisher
Ahhhhhh..................... nothing like women who need no tent and gather wood to cook with! Probably dove for lobster and dug clams too!!! Real Baja women!!!
Congrats on a great trip and thanks for the report!

well, these girls where from Switzerland and would have wanted a tent - but I always tell new members that I have not used a tent in 25 years (except when it rains) and everyone should follow my example. They don't want to be chickens and do. Then they find out, how wonderful this new feeling is. The feeling is "freedom" - because you are not afraid anymore.
Collecting wood is the #1 job in every group as soon as we get to a camp site. No wood = no dinner!

I believe in traveling with the smallest footprint possible. Small cars, only essential equipment. For that reason I do not carry any stoves. Nature provides almost everything we need. Not necessarily what we want - but what we need.

climbing from my horse now

David K - 3-16-2012 at 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4x4abc
Quote:

follow the tracks and you'll find it
you want to some exploring/searching for yourself

Oh indeed... I have followed tracks to soda springs... just didn't know which ones, as I do not know where Valle Encantada is... must be your name for it?

elgatoloco - 3-16-2012 at 10:01 AM

Nice! :yes:

We once 'found' Ensenada San Basilio while looking for San Nicholas. It was before we had the Baja Almanac. :biggrin: Magical place.

4x4abc - 3-16-2012 at 11:03 AM

Quote:

Oh indeed... I have followed tracks to soda springs... just didn't know which ones, as I do not know where Valle Encantada is... must be your name for it?

Coco and many others call it Valle Encantada (enchanted valley) - it's the narrow canyon (Calamajue) with colorful slate. The running water (some of it warm) and the many birds make it truly an enchanted place. Zoom in on the track and you'll find the spring. It has a recent mining claim next to it (you know, the white concrete blocks with names and numbers)

http://g.co/maps/cnrg6

spring.jpg - 48kB

4x4abc - 3-16-2012 at 01:07 PM

retirement? you are doing something wrong! really wrong!

BajaBlanca - 3-16-2012 at 02:53 PM

it looks like you had an amazing vacation ...I love that you posted so many pics of all the plants you saw !! thanks for taking the time to share.

wessongroup - 3-16-2012 at 03:20 PM

Thanks much... great photo's and appears all had a great time .. .:):)

David K - 3-16-2012 at 03:25 PM

Thank you Harard,

Did you drive up and see the mission site at Calamajue this trip? I would like to see photos to compare to my visit in 2002...

It is the short road that crosses the arroyo and goes up the opposite side where the road drops into Calamajue coming south from Coco's.

Not much there, but it was an important site during mission and mining times.

4x4abc - 3-16-2012 at 04:24 PM

David,

no we did not check the mission ruins.

Did you ever check out the gold mine on the north side of the canyon? The air strip is still in place.

David K - 3-16-2012 at 07:31 PM

Quote:
David,

no we did not check the mission ruins.

Did you ever check out the gold mine on the north side of the canyon? The air strip is still in place.

The first location for the next mission north of San Borja proved unfit because
the water was so mineralized it prevented agriculture.
After 7 months, the mission was moved.
GPS: 29°25'16.3" 114°11'42.4"

No, didn't see the mine... but I have seen the runway on Google Earth and in an old copy of Airports of Baja. The Camino Real heads northwest from there and through a canyon to the valley on the other side (just south of Coco's). You can see an old mine road grade leading towards Laguna Chapala from there, too.:cool:

brewer - 3-17-2012 at 04:42 PM

Ah Basilio....Is it still a pristine beach with the Osprey nest island? Did you drive in through El Cajon canyon? We went in from a south road once that seemed to be made of lava rocks. It was rough as HELL.

I figured it would be slated for development sometime.

[Edited on 3-18-2012 by telebrewer]

4x4abc - 3-17-2012 at 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by telebrewer
Ah Basilio....Is it still a pristine beach with the Osprey nest island? Did you in through El Cajon canyon? We went in from a south road once that seemed to be made of lava rocks. It was rough as HELL.

I figured it would be slated for development sometime.

I usually take one road in and then the other one out (actually, there is a variation of the south road, I sometimes take).

Pristine? Are you kidding? Too many sailors. They love to hide their trash behind the dunes. I haven't found a single remote beach in Baja, that does not have trash from the sailing community.

The bay is still beautiful though. Stunning at night.

south.jpg - 49kB

4x4abc - 3-17-2012 at 06:18 PM

how do I post more than one image in one post?

trash sb.jpg - 49kB

4x4abc - 3-17-2012 at 06:22 PM

San Basilio at night

Basilio.jpg - 49kB

David K - 3-17-2012 at 07:22 PM

Quote:
how do I post more than one image in one post?

You need to host them on another site, like Photobucket.com then upload them at 800 pixels or less width (click customize upload options before uploading), then you can post several photos at a time using the IMG code, that is under each of your photos in your photobucket album.

It is easier than it sounds... and I am here to walk you through it if needed, no problemo!

4x4abc - 3-17-2012 at 07:41 PM

can it be my own server?

how do I insert the image(s) into the post?

El Vergel - 3-17-2012 at 08:24 PM

Great Trip Report, awesome imagery! Thanks so much for the share.

BajaBlanca - 3-17-2012 at 08:32 PM

if you do it on your own server then you have to post pics one by one as far as I understand

photobucket is free - pretty easy to learn - and then once you get the image code - you can post as many as you like at one time

bear in mind - it took me 2 years - with everyone heres help - to master this technique (I jest NOT). but now I got it down

:yes:

and you will get it down too.

[Edited on 3-18-2012 by BajaBlanca]

Fernweh - 3-17-2012 at 09:30 PM

Quote:
can it be my own server?

Kinderleicht;D

David K - 3-18-2012 at 12:20 AM

Quote:
can it be my own server?

YES! I often post photos here from my web site (VivaBaja.com).

You use this icon (from the group just above where you type here):
to insert photos, or add the tags to the photo url yourself. Tags are [img] and [/img] on each side of the image url (no spaces).

Here's an example... (Mision Santa Maria, 2007)

So, take the image url:

http://vivabaja.com/msm/page7_files/mailedD26.jpg

and add tags to both sides, there is a space added on purpose here to show you:

[img] http://vivabaja.com/msm/page7_files/mailedD26.jpg[/img]

remove the space and you get....

[Edited on 3-18-2012 by David K]

4x4abc - 3-18-2012 at 02:34 AM

David,

what are the image limits (pixels and or file size)?

Marc - 3-18-2012 at 05:15 AM

Quote:
can it be my own server?

On a Mac I use text edit and insert multiple Photobucket image codes wherever I want. Set preference uploads at 800X600. When I am through I then copy the whole thing and paste to Nomads. This way I can take a day or two on it.

See my recent trip report. This is how it looks before posting.
These are the first few images. I have altered the image codes to prevent them showing up.

Continued from Non Baja Trip Reports

Goodbye Mazatlan Star and hello Baja.
[IMG]http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j447/m-martin/IMG_0514.jpg[/IMG

We've been on the road in mainland Mexico,in and out of hotels for a week and now we are in Baja at last. After an unusually long military checkpoint line at the terminal exit at Pichilingue we head north on a grey day bound for Agua Verde. We bypass La Paz hoping to got there before dark. We do the careful-creep through Constitutîon and by late afternoon we turn onto the AV road.

I want to make it clear; anything on four wheels can navigate the Agua Verde road. During the three days we were there we saw an RV pulling a trailer, a HUGE water truck, and a fairly large boat being towed in. Compared to our experiences on the Copper Canyon roads this is a drive in the park.
[IMG]http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j447/m-martin/IMG_0551.jpg[/IMG

Rancho Cosme is on the beach near our campsite. The ranch used to be a water and food stop for kayakers before the 'troubles'. On the point above the beach there's a large multi level home. (capture the image and zoom to see it) Past the farthest point is Agua Verdi about 15 miles distant by road from the ranch.
[IMG]http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j447/m-martin/IMG_0552.jpg[/IMG

Agua Verde. I was here years ago. The little house with the veranda used to be the Agua Verdi Yacht Club. Trudy Angel used the place as an overnight last stop on her Paddling South kayak tours. It is now occupied by a retired local fisherman. The structure at the far end of the beach is a lodge used by Gringo sheep hunters.
[IMG]http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j447/m-martin/IMG_0521.jpg[/IMG

Agua Verdi Yacht Club (AVYC) 1992 .
[IMG]http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j447/m-martin/Scan-1.jpg[/IMG

Your pictures are great I was at Agua Verde on Feb 6.

[Edited on 3-18-2012 by Marc]

[Edited on 3-18-2012 by Marc]

4x4abc - 3-18-2012 at 08:28 AM

OK, let me try my newly acquired skills

over the years I have given all borrego skulls I had found to Coco - unfortunately they were all stolen when he had to leave for his hospital visits
this one I will keep for myself

when was the last time you have you taken your kid for a sunday ride?

when they are in season, they are a delicious find: wild passion fruit

tents are for wimps - nothing beats a "bed" right under the stars

looks like it works! - thanks guys for your assistance

[Edited on 3-18-2012 by 4x4abc]

wilderone - 3-18-2012 at 09:00 AM

Great photos! Love the one with the horse.

Bajafun777 - 3-18-2012 at 09:24 AM

Great photos and brings back some good memories of our trips down Baja. The little beach towns and friendly people make the drive all that much better. Well, as long as you are not in a hurry as when you take your time the sights are soooo much better. Did you have any problem bringing the borrego skull across into the USA? Take Care & Travel Safe-----"No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

Bob H - 3-18-2012 at 09:49 AM

Wow, all of your images are just amazing and sharp! Thanks for sharing your experiences down there!!

4x4abc - 3-18-2012 at 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajafun777
Great photos and brings back some good memories of our trips down Baja. The little beach towns and friendly people make the drive all that much better. Well, as long as you are not in a hurry as when you take your time the sights are soooo much better. Did you have any problem bringing the borrego skull across into the USA? Take Care & Travel Safe-----"No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

since I chose La Paz as my new home 8 years ago having the borrego skull is no problem.
In the early years (when I still lived in L.A.) I did not dare bring anything into the US - that's why I gave those other skulls I found to Coco

David K - 3-18-2012 at 12:24 PM

Congratulations Harald, you did it!:bounce::bounce::bounce: