BajaNomad

La Paz and San Jose del Cabo surf fishing

sanysidroSFD - 3-17-2012 at 06:28 PM

Hello, I will be headed down to La Paz and San Jose del Cabo in a week. I was wondering were are some nice spots to fish from shore, since I don't really have the money to go out on a panga. I will be taking two rods, an 8' spinning and a 9' casting rod, and a bunch of Krocodiles, some crankbaits, and plenty of plastics.

In La Paz I will be staying in downtown, I know some of the beaches north, like Pichilingue and Tecolote, but I am not sure if these beaches hold fish.

In San Jose all I know is that I will be in some hotel some blocks away from the beach, but I think the hotel is not really in the main hotel area.

I dont really want to catch something huge, just looking to have some fun. My setups are medium heavy at best, I am taking some wire leaders in case I run into sierra or pargo, and my casting reels have 15lb mono, and my spinning has like 200yds of 20lb braid. I know there are some croakers in San Jose and some cabrillas at La Paz, and if I find some small roosters even better.

Any help will be very appreciated.

castaway$ - 3-19-2012 at 11:46 AM

Guess nobody is talking. Well for what it is worth I am usually in the La Paz area December and January and I like to fish out at Tecolote. Your gear sounds adequate, I catch roosters in the surf along with some sierra,skipjack and bonita. On either end of the beach where it is rocky I have caught a variety of bass and snappers. I typically just throw Kastmasters and Krocodile type lures or plastics.
I haven't ever caught anything big but last time I did get spooled by what I'm pretty sure was a big Rooster. Have fun and welcome to Nomad.