BajaNomad

San Isidro/Mulege Mountain Route Trip Report

KurtG - 3-23-2012 at 11:51 AM

I posted this link in Willy's thread about their trip tomorrow and not sure why the whole thing showed up here. Anyway, re-reading it brought back memories of a spectacular day.

Trip Report/road log San Isidro-Mulege Mountain Route 3/22/2012

For reference our vehicle is a 2000 Explorer stock Bauer Ed. with 255/70/16 Michelin street tires run at about 22#.
The report is a mileage log and includes GPS data and elevation for key points. The log is as accurate as Garmin and Ford's odometer could provide.
Mile Zero is starting North from San Isidro at 26.12.866x112.01.577.
Excellent road to Purisima Vieja at mile 12.3 then to Paso Hondo at mile 15.4. Both are oasis villages with some great scenery.
Mile 17.8-Springs and ponds on left.
Mile 18.3-Small village.
Mile 21.2-water crossing/palms and on to Buenos Aires at mile 25.9.
Mile 29.1-Agua Grande
Mile 32.2. 26.32.962x112.06.834. Elev.2100. Sign: El Llano straight, Guajadami to the right. Go straight.
From here the road is steep and rocky with a lot of erosion. Low range used to the top of high plateau at Mile 36.7. Elev. 3350 at 26.35.899x112.07.222.
Mile 37. Incredible views of deep gorge on right. Continue to climb to:
Mile 39.1. 26.37.146x112.06.743. Elev. 3765. High point overlooking the broad expanse of El Llano below. This is where the road ended when I attempted this route some 15 years ago. The descending cuesta was the most difficult of the entire trip. Steep, sometimes narrow and off camber and rough eroded rock with lots of loose stuff. This is an area to use extreme caution. We crept down in low range, 1st gear to arrive in the flats of El Llano at:
Mile 40.6. 26.37.786x112.07.153. Elev. 2616. At this point we met a rancher with a Ford F350 4wd and a cattle rack who had 3-4 cattle loaded. We told him we were going to Mulege and he said he was as well. That gave us a better feeling about actually completing the trip since I didn’t feel we could climb back up that previous cuesta or at least really didn’t want to attempt it. He confirmed that that plateau is El Llano. As we started up the next grade we saw him starting behind us. A rough ride for those cows! The road continues up and down a bit before a gate at the top of the final cuesta at:
Mile 43.1. 26.39.029x112.08.07. Elev. 3429. Now down the cuesta, steep and rough but not nearly as bad as the earlier one. There has been traffic up and down this area since we were on it and turned back a few months ago. I think we could now go up this one ok.
Mile 46.2. 26.40.320x112.07.130. elev. 1346. This position is right by the ranch at the bottom of the cuesta. Rancho El Llanito, I believe. It is relatively new. This is the important coordinate for anyone doing this trip north to south since it is not shown on the maps and in my experience the Baja Atlas and other maps are only an approximation of the roads in this area. From this point you are on the road that goes straight to Mulege. There are occasional roads that come in from both side notably at Mile 50.8 which has a sign pointing to Rcho El Llanito. I believe the other fork here leads to the area of El Potrero and El Batiqui and the appropriately named Pia de la Cuesta Guajadami. I have motorcycled in that area but not since the hurricanes changed some of the roads a few years ago. Note that I have not called this the Guajadami Road since it splits off from the old mission route and is generally to the west of it. Continue straight into Mulege arriving at Hwy 1 (icehouse road junction) at MILE 67.3. This trip took about 6 hours so an average speed of about 10 mph. Thanks to Mulegena for the trip report on Baja Nomads that inspired us to do this trip. The scenery was wonderful although I would still rank the San Juan de la Pila road as the slightly more spectacular but I am really splitting hairs on that call. Do them both and tell me what you think!
Kurt and Kathy, March 22, 2012

[Edited on 3-23-2012 by KurtG]

[Edited on 3-24-2012 by KurtG]

[Edited on 12-11-2013 by KurtG]

David K - 3-23-2012 at 12:31 PM

Wow. just read this on my phone. great details kurt. thanks amigo. your next OJ is on me.

Udo - 3-23-2012 at 01:03 PM

Are you sure you two are not related, DK?

vgabndo - 3-23-2012 at 02:57 PM

Wow, I just flew that on Google Earth. What an adventure! and...I'm sure there will be pix to follow! Huh?

Cypress - 3-23-2012 at 03:00 PM

KurtG, That's some interesting country.:D Got any pictures?:D

Great trip, eh?

Mulegena - 3-23-2012 at 03:24 PM

Glad you did it!

It is exquisitely beautiful country, at once remote yet remarkably accessible in the right vehicle.

and yeah, that first down-grade is somethin' else, huh? That's why I so strongly recommended doing this trip ONLY from La Purisima to Mulege. I wouldn't want to get all the way to El Llano from Mulege and have to turn around because I couldn't climb up that grade!

Springtime up there is a beautiful time to do this trip. Good weather and blooming bushes and cactus! Did you smell the pungent wild oregano as you came down the cuesta into the Mulege basin?

And it is a high mountain you climb up onto out of La Purisima! We may go camping up there from time to time to get out of the summer heat.

KurtG - 3-23-2012 at 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
Glad you did it!

It is exquisitely beautiful country, at once remote yet remarkably accessible in the right vehicle.

and yeah, that first down-grade is somethin' else, huh? That's why I so strongly recommended doing this trip ONLY from La Purisima to Mulege. I wouldn't want to get all the way to El Llano from Mulege and have to turn around because I couldn't climb up that grade!

Springtime up there is a beautiful time to do this trip. Good weather and blooming bushes and cactus! Did you smell the pungent wild oregano as you came down the cuesta into the Mulege basin?

And it is a high mountain you climb up onto out of La Purisima! We may go camping up there from time to time to get out of the summer heat.

Thanks for the inspiration to do this trip! I tried to imagine what it would be like to try to back down that cuesta, really don't want to think about it.

This was a great short trip for us, the whales were cooperative and the mountain trip spectacular. and yes, all the plant life and smells were wonderful.

Mulegena - 3-23-2012 at 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
Quote:
Glad you did it!...

It is exquisitely beautiful country, at once remote yet remarkably accessible in the right vehicle...

Thanks for the inspiration to do this trip!...

This was a great short trip for us, the whales were cooperative and the mountain trip spectacular. and yes, all the plant life and smells were wonderful.
How'd you feel when you came around a curve and came upon somebody's camp straddling the road? I couldn't believe my eyes, and didn't have the wits about me to lift up my camera.

When we went through the camp was deserted, well that is to say it appeared nobody was home right then. There was a small tent right smack-dab on the edge of the road next to a well-used campfire pit with a slab of ribs hanging from a tree! On the other side was a mule all saddled up and waiting like he was a taxi in downtown Mexico City.

If you'd looked in your rearview mirror you'd have seen the camp's inhabitants. They were 'waaay down the side of the deep, deep canyon operating a gas-powered cement mixer and hauling the contents further down to the tiny, dry streambed. I guess they were making small dams with the hopes of catching the meager rain and water that flows through there. Good luck, you hardworking guys!

Blair - 3-24-2012 at 06:50 AM

Thanks Kurt! That is excellent information. Five of us plan to do that segment on bikes around April 21 on our way back from the cape. Its our third annual trip and no doubt this will be one of the highlights. If you have any pics I'd love to see them.

El Vergel - 3-24-2012 at 12:58 PM

Awesome report! Thanks for the share.

BajaBlanca - 3-24-2012 at 01:12 PM

incredibly detailed. wonderful report.

KurtG - 3-25-2012 at 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blair
Thanks Kurt! That is excellent information. Five of us plan to do that segment on bikes around April 21 on our way back from the cape. Its our third annual trip and no doubt this will be one of the highlights. If you have any pics I'd love to see them.

We just got back home and I will be posting pics or a link to them in a day or so as I get them organized. What will you be riding? There will be some rock-hopping involved.

KurtG - 3-25-2012 at 07:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[
How'd you feel when you came around a curve and came upon somebody's camp straddling the road? I couldn't believe my eyes, and didn't have the wits about me to lift up my camera.

When we went through the camp was deserted, well that is to say it appeared nobody was home right then. There was a small tent right smack-dab on the edge of the road next to a well-used campfire pit with a slab of ribs hanging from a tree! On the other side was a mule all saddled up and waiting like he was a taxi in downtown Mexico City.

If you'd looked in your rearview mirror you'd have seen the camp's inhabitants. They were 'waaay down the side of the deep, deep canyon operating a gas-powered cement mixer and hauling the contents further down to the tiny, dry streambed. I guess they were making small dams with the hopes of catching the meager rain and water that flows through there. Good luck, you hardworking guys!

Yes, that camp was a surprise. Their cement mixer was in the back of their truck and no one was there and I assumed they were working in the arroyo but couldn't see them.

Blair - 3-25-2012 at 08:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:

We just got back home and I will be posting pics or a link to them in a day or so as I get them organized. What will you be riding? There will be some rock-hopping involved.

Kurt, we will be on KTM 450's, 525's and I have a xr650r. We're pretty good riders but everyone has their limits. Pretty bad huh?

KurtG - 3-25-2012 at 10:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Kurt, we will be on KTM 450's, 525's and I have a xr650r. We're pretty good riders but everyone has their limits. Pretty bad huh?

I think skilled riders on those bikes will do ok if you're not carrying a lot of gear. I'm an older dualsport type rider (KLR and DR650's) and consider my dirt skills to be only moderate so was happier in a 4wd on this route. I'll look forward to your report.

4x4abc - 3-27-2012 at 07:58 PM

yup, I did this road last year from Mulege to Purisima - it is indeed very steep:
http://tinyurl.com/6s228l7

[Edited on 3-28-2012 by 4x4abc]

TMW - 3-28-2012 at 07:38 AM

Thanks Kurt well done. I put your report in my almanac for reference. Great pixs 4x4, thanks.

Pacifico - 3-28-2012 at 07:48 AM

Great report! I look forward to your pics!

tripledigitken - 3-28-2012 at 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4x4abc
yup, I did this road last year from Mulege to Purisima - it is indeed very steep:

Thanks for posting, really enjoyed your photos.

PHOTOS FROM KURT of this trip...

David K - 3-28-2012 at 06:19 PM

Purisima Vieja

Yes, there is a road there!

Getting Steeper

Good section of climb to summit

View at Mile 37 of log.

Road in and out of El Llano looking north.

Final descent to Rcho El Llanito

===========================================

Thanks Kurt for showing us your photos!:light::cool:

Blair - 3-29-2012 at 10:01 AM

Thanks for the pics. Cant wait to do this in April!

elfbrewery - 4-11-2012 at 04:04 PM

Just did this trip! WOW! Thanks Kurt for the details. They were very accurate, invaluable and necessary to convince someone to come along with us. We drove out to La Purisima, stayed at Posada del Angel (perfect, 250 pesos per room), ate a little way closer to town at Leti (yes, they are open in the evening, maybe). Having our own coffee maker and breakfast helped out in the morning.
We started up the Paso Hondo road at 8:55a.m. and came out onto the Icehouse Road at 15:18. That included 47 min. for lunch and 27 min to fix someones flat tire, as well as other pit stops. Taking our lunch break at the viewpoint gave us a little rest before the gruelling afternoon of fighting rocks, ruts, sharp switchbacks and utterly steep drops. The trip was no longer an adventure, just a challenge for bragging rights to say we did it. Golly were we beat when we got home.
I would vote for San Juan de las Pilas as being the better trip, although we all agreed we were glad we did this one.
Thanks again, Kurt. Keep the rubber side down.

Mexitron - 4-11-2012 at 04:51 PM

Quote:

Nice pics...a white Erythrina---very cool! Were there more of them or just the single plant? A friend of mine saw a white Ocotillo years ago---when he went back to collect seeds he couldn't find it---tried for years but never seen again.

Barry A. - 4-11-2012 at 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Quote:

Nice pics...a white Erythrina---very cool! Were there more of them or just the single plant? A friend of mine saw a white Ocotillo years ago---when he went back to collect seeds he couldn't find it---tried for years but never seen again.

--------one of those Ghost ocotillo's we have heard of. Unnerving, at the least.

Barry

KurtG - 4-11-2012 at 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elfbrewery
Just did this trip! WOW! Thanks Kurt for the details. They were very accurate, invaluable and necessary to convince someone to come along with us. We drove out to La Purisima, stayed at Posada del Angel (perfect, 250 pesos per room), ate a little way closer to town at Leti (yes, they are open in the evening, maybe). Having our own coffee maker and breakfast helped out in the morning.
We started up the Paso Hondo road at 8:55a.m. and came out onto the Icehouse Road at 15:18. That included 47 min. for lunch and 27 min to fix someones flat tire, as well as other pit stops. Taking our lunch break at the viewpoint gave us a little rest before the gruelling afternoon of fighting rocks, ruts, sharp switchbacks and utterly steep drops. The trip was no longer an adventure, just a challenge for bragging rights to say we did it. Golly were we beat when we got home.
I would vote for San Juan de las Pilas as being the better trip, although we all agreed we were glad we did this one.
Thanks again, Kurt. Keep the rubber side down.

Glad the road log helped, that was my goal in doing it. I'm still having the occasional flashback!
Kurt

motoged - 12-10-2013 at 07:29 PM

Kurt et al,
Thanks for the intel....will be doing this from San Isidro to Mulege on my 690 in mid Ja nuary. So far I am solo....anybody who wants to join up is welcome...:cool: