BajaNomad

Lopez Mateos--May

thefishaholic - 3-28-2012 at 09:01 AM

A couple buddies and are heading up to LP the 1st of May for some Mangrove fishing.:bounce:

Plan on using artificials so any guidance will be appreciated.

Looking for Snapper, Grouper etc and only want to fish the Mangroves.

We have a local friend (our contractor) that has a brother that fishes there and wants to use live bait (great) but want to try lures etc. also.

Thanks

mulegemichael - 3-28-2012 at 09:41 AM

be sure and try live shrimp while you're there; it outfishes ANYTHING else!

lures

captkw - 3-28-2012 at 09:44 AM

live shrimp is awsome and lures,the normal suspect's like kastmasters,spoon's,krock's and the like worked for me..and dont forget the flatties on the bottom !!! K&T..:cool:....OUT

Cypress - 3-28-2012 at 09:52 AM

DOAs look just like shrimp, specks and redish love 'em, but they're made of plastic. Trigger fish will destroy 'em.:tumble:

mulegemichael - 3-28-2012 at 10:06 AM

DOA's are great especially when used with a good stench like smelly jelly or the like.

triggs

captkw - 3-28-2012 at 10:09 AM

not many triggs in magbay.at least in the upper area and trigg's will destroy damn near anything:lol: K&T:cool:

Pompano - 3-28-2012 at 10:31 AM

Try everything...it's all good. Lots of fish inside Mag Bay. :yes:

For starters, cast a silver spoon or a jig with a split-tail wiggler under the mangrove overhangs...and you might find a few nice snook (robalo)

But for a sure-fire success...use the live shrimp...finest kind of bait, plus make great c-cktails if not used!

Find these old pilings near the defunct cannery and cast all round...try not to let the fish lasso your line...or let the bloody pelicans eat your bait!

Whatever you use or do...have fun...and
'
TIGHT LINES!

Thanks

thefishaholic - 3-30-2012 at 07:18 AM

Looking forward to some good eating fish.

bill erhardt - 3-30-2012 at 10:36 AM

Here's a pic of #1 Lopez Mateos captain Ruben Duran with part of a day's catch, including seven robalo, caught fishing in the estero. I think that was the day I traded one of Ruben's clients a 50# wahoo for a 20# snook. I still have part of the snook in my freezer.
If you want to fill up your boat whatever time of year you fish out of Lopez, you would be well advised to have Ruben or his son Nestor aboard. They will know where the fish are biting and how best to 'match the hatch'.

ruben.jpg - 41kB

Cypress - 3-30-2012 at 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt
Here's a pic of #1 Lopez Mateos captain Ruben Duran with part of a day's catch, including seven robalo, caught fishing in the estero. I think that was the day I traded one of Ruben's clients a 50# wahoo for a 20# snook. I still have part of the snook in my freezer.
If you want to fill up your boat whatever time of year you fish out of Lopez, you would be well advised to have Ruben or his son Nestor aboard. They will know where the fish are biting and how best to 'match the hatch'.

Very nice catch. How long has that piece of snook been in your freezer? :biggrin:

bill erhardt - 3-30-2012 at 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt

Very nice catch. How long has that piece of snook been in your freezer? :biggrin:

Since some time in November.

Cypress - 3-30-2012 at 01:09 PM

:D Time for a fish fry?:D

bill erhardt - 3-30-2012 at 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
:D Time for a fish fry?:D

Could be that it's time to clean out the freezer and fry up some fish. There is some variety around town right now. I just had for lunch a fillet of this yellowfin that Loretanos Ron and Linda Beitelspacher caught south of Loreto about 50 miles last Saturday.

yf.jpg - 42kB

bill erhardt - 3-30-2012 at 02:00 PM

the same day Ron and Linda were working out on the yellowfin I was loading up on yellowtail a bit farther south.

yt.jpg - 47kB

Cypress - 3-30-2012 at 02:05 PM

That's a mess of fish.:yes: