BajaNomad

LORETO FISHING REPORT

Howard - 3-31-2012 at 09:26 AM

Went out yesterday to see if we could scare up some Yellowtail without going to far and burning up too much gas. Will save the gas $ and effort for Dorado and Tuna. Left the Marina around 6:30 and headed in the direction of Punto Lobo. Tried a few spots on the way to the point with no results, Hit the point with still no results. Moved on the East side, maybe 1/2 -1 mile South of Punto Lobo and saw lots of smaller yellowtail rolling on the surfacce but could not get them to bite on either live Mackaral or trolling.

Went maybe 5 miles North to some high points and caught some nice bottom fish iat 400 feet including fish that the Captain called Canjeo (rabbit) fish. Anyone ever hear of such a fish?

The water everywhere was flat as a pancake, weather was around 75 degrees with water temp at 67 degrees. Beer was cold on the way in.

Perfect fishing trip, made it to the dock safe and sound.

[Edited on 3-31-2012 by Howard]

woody with a view - 3-31-2012 at 09:36 AM

sounds good. it's only gonna get better. i'm jealous......

The beer or fishing?

Howard - 3-31-2012 at 09:45 AM

Any chance of both getting better or do I have to choose?
Could be a tough choice and I might have to have a beer or glass of wine to decide.
:biggrin:

woody with a view - 3-31-2012 at 09:47 AM

let us know the results of your experiment. usually, the beer tastes better after the fishing picks up.:cool:

Osprey - 3-31-2012 at 09:47 AM

Howard, I'm gonna throw my fish book away. Looked up Conejo >> there it was: poisonous pufferfish (blunt nose, gray with black spots)

Mula - 3-31-2012 at 09:54 AM

We catch and eat conejo fish out of San Nicolas.

Fish

tehag - 3-31-2012 at 01:35 PM

I think that conejo and pierna are local names for ocean whitefish.

shari - 3-31-2012 at 02:01 PM

water is 67 degrees...dang...I was hoping for a bit warmer for our vacation...glad I have my wetsuit packed then...does anyone know who fills dive tanks in Loreto?

rts551 - 3-31-2012 at 03:18 PM

A report from somewhere else.. maybe just story telling.

"So far the water is the nicest I have seen in years for this time of year. 30' vis and well over 70. I have been shooting Leopard Grouper, Sierra and Parrot fish, all very good eating. Tried fishing with rod and reel one day, caught nothing but skip jack, at least they are good for dog food. Just a few other campers on the beach so I basically have the place to myself."

acadist - 3-31-2012 at 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
water is 67 degrees...dang...I was hoping for a bit warmer for our vacation...glad I have my wetsuit packed then...does anyone know who fills dive tanks in Loreto?

I could get there but can't remember the name or give great directions, ask Pam she will know

BajaBruno - 3-31-2012 at 08:17 PM

Howard, is this your rabbit (Conejo) fish? http://www.mexfish.com/fish/pgeyetile/pgeyetile.htm ?

LaTijereta - 4-1-2012 at 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
...does anyone know who fills dive tanks in Loreto?

Dolphin Dive Center.. Beneto Juarez (one block back from the Malacon).. (613) 135-1914

BajaBruno

Howard - 4-1-2012 at 10:57 AM

Yes, I believe that's the fish