BajaNomad

Gonzaga 3/28, San Felipe 3/29 fishing report

jsl - 3-31-2012 at 01:42 PM

Hi all,

Made it down to Gonzaga for the first time Wednesday night. We stayed at Alfonsinas and fished with a local panguero "Charro" from a nearby fish camp as our guide was away on business. Anyhow, fishing was slow as water temps were cold and the water was a dirty green. Conditions were real nice with almost no wind and air temps in the low to mid 80's. We fished around Punta Bufeo and the Enchanted Islands for a VERY slow bite on triggerfish to 5lbs and a couple Pinto bass to 2lbs. Kept a couple triggers for ceviche and that was it.

Our guide said fishing has been super slow this entire year and others we spoke to echoed the same sentiments. He said he did real well in the areas we fished during the same time last year with nice sized pargo and cabrilla but not so much for us this time around. Oh well.

We planned on fishing the Gonzaga area for 3 days but made the decision to head back to San Filepe to try for some corvina. On the way down, I stopped at a local fish market in SF to take a look-see and saw nice corvina to 7lbs and sierra to 2lbs so I wanted to give it a shot since Gonzaga did not pan out. We fished a half day trip in SF and did good on gulf croaker and a funky looking slimy eel and that was it. Sooooo, after two days of really slow fishing, we took off and made it back early.

Overall, not a good trip in terms of fishing but it was a nice getaway and it was real cool to get to check out new locals. It was primarily a scouting trip and we made some contacts which will come in handy when conditions are more optimal. Gonzaga is really remote and tranquil and the people there, like in most other areas of Baja were real warm and friendly. San Felipe looks like a cool place to spend a weekend with the wife or girl friend but seems to be pretty fished out. Our panguero "Martin" said the area was off the hook 20 years ago but has been decimated by the relentless netting. The road was a lot better than what I expected except for the dips from San Felipe to Puertecitos but not too big of a deal if you slowed down. The unpaved portions from Puertecitos to Gonzaga ( last ten miles or so ) was fine and very easily traversed. Sorry, no pics of the fish as we threw back pretty much everything except a couple triggers and that eel which I'll show off to my biology students.

Scott

yellowklr - 4-1-2012 at 07:30 PM

Hey Amigo........Glad you are back safe and sound....Now you are warmed up for the real fishing!

ElCap - 4-1-2012 at 07:51 PM

Let us know if you key out what type of eel that is. Gracias.

redhilltown - 4-21-2012 at 11:15 PM

Next time try some of the small roads leading down to the beach between Puertecitos and Gonzaga for Corvina...you just need a little patience and the back end of a rising high tide.

bonanza bucko - 4-22-2012 at 07:08 AM

One of the main reasons for the slow fishing at Gonzaga Bay is the spring seining of the entire place by the pangueros. That is illegal but they do it anyhow.

BB:-(

Hook - 4-22-2012 at 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bonanza bucko
One of the main reasons for the slow fishing at Gonzaga Bay is the spring seining of the entire place by the pangueros. That is illegal but they do it anyhow.

The same pangueros that take your sportfishing money and tell you the fishing "is muy malo, amigo", at the end of the day?

Skipjack Joe - 4-22-2012 at 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bonanza bucko

Doesn't make sense. The triggerfish then come back in the summer?

willardguy - 4-22-2012 at 09:03 AM

we too went north and found it a desert, went south and found grouper and white seabass on the chew down around sacrificio. probably reversed the next day,that be fishing!:bounce: