BajaNomad

San Felipe to highway 1

rentalsloreto - 3-31-2012 at 04:14 PM

Can anyone give me any update on the condition of the road between San Felipe and Highway 1?

west or south?

standingwave - 3-31-2012 at 04:24 PM

We came up the south route three weeks ago, leaving Highway I at Lake Chapala, through Coco's Corner and up past Gonzaga. The pavement starts about 12 miles north of Gonzaga and is a first class road to Puertocitos, after that its not too bad, though the approaches to the vados are steep. Watch out for them. The first 50 miles are rough; if you're travelling light enough to air down your tires, no problem. We weren't, and those 50 miles took us 3 1/2 hours. No regrets though, the landscape is beautiful and driving up the Sea of Cortes was a nice change from the Pacific side.

[Edited on 3-31-2012 by standingwave]

rts551 - 3-31-2012 at 04:55 PM

Lots of recent trip reports about this route. Use the search function because there are too many to add to this thread.

mcfez - 4-2-2012 at 01:08 PM

From San Felipe to Coco's........easy as hell. Paved within sight of Papa's. Graded to a fine dirt road from the end of the pavement.

Also......at the first paved vista point pass Pueritcitos.....someone has opened a "fast food" trailer stand. Sorta cool to say. Past that a bit.....tire repair right off the new highway.

There IS gas at BOTH service stations.

baja1943 - 4-4-2012 at 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
From San Felipe to Coco's........easy as hell. Paved within sight of Papa's. Graded to a fine dirt road from the end of the pavement.

Also......at the first paved vista point pass Pueritcitos.....someone has opened a "fast food" trailer stand. Sorta cool to say. Past that a bit.....tire repair right off the new highway.

There IS gas at BOTH service stations.
When are you going to post pictures?

David K - 4-4-2012 at 10:20 AM

Pueritcitos (UGGGH :rolleyes: )

PUERTECITOS

Desertbull - 4-4-2012 at 06:46 PM

It's a cakewalk from San Felipe all the way to Hwy 1 Chapala, lots of traffic on the road due to the holiday and lots of people at Coco's corner and all the way to LA Bay.

:lol:

woody with a view - 4-4-2012 at 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by standingwave
We came up the south route three weeks ago, leaving Highway I at Lake Chapala, through Coco's Corner and up past Gonzaga. The pavement starts about 12 miles north of Gonzaga and is a first class road to Puertocitos, after that its not too bad, though the approaches to the vados are steep. Watch out for them. The first 50 miles are rough; if you're travelling light enough to air down your tires, no problem. We weren't, and those 50 miles took us 3 1/2 hours. No regrets though, the landscape is beautiful and driving up the Sea of Cortes was a nice change from the Pacific side.

[Edited on 3-31-2012 by standingwave]

hey Ken, good to hear from you! hope you had a great time again. say hi to Alex and Aiden for us and hope to see you'se all next year-you know where!!!! u2u on your next trip south and maybe we can have lunch before you cross....

bufeo - 4-4-2012 at 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Pueritcitos (UGGGH :rolleyes: )...

Quote:
Oh yes, thank you... that was indeed a typo...

Perhaps persons who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, eh David K? :rolleyes:, :rolleyes:, :rolleyes:

Allen R

[Edited on 4-5-2012 by bufeo]

David K - 4-4-2012 at 11:37 PM

Allen, I am not throwing stones... just helping Nomads spell places in their favorite peninsula correctly. Deno knows it is friendly. That is the only spelling I correct, despite those who think I nit pic at all spelling... I don't, I am a bad speller and typer (as you pointed out earlier). Just Baja places! ;D

mcfez - 4-5-2012 at 11:29 AM

It's all good to me. I have no issues with anyone correcting my spelling or grammar. DavidK has been helpful in every field here at the BN...including helping us out with the correct spellings of towns. Too many towns in Mexico sound a lot like each other, but is spelled differently.

Now...about his political views..... ;)

Quote:
Allen, I am not throwing stones... just helping Nomads spell places in their favorite peninsula correctly. Deno knows it is friendly. That is the only spelling I correct, despite those who think I nit pic at all spelling... I don't, I am a bad speller and typer (as you pointed out earlier). Just Baja places! ;D

David K - 4-5-2012 at 11:37 AM

Quote:
It's all good to me. I have no issues with anyone correcting my spelling or grammar. DavidK has been helpful in every field here at the BN...including helping us out with the correct spellings of towns. Too many towns in Mexico sound a lot like each other, but is spelled differently.

Quote:

Thanks Deno... I guess I just don't take being out of work as easy as others... What did the actor say, "I'm as mad a hell, and I'm not going to take it any more"?

I am venting with my friends here, not making it personal, but it just makes some get defensive. The economy works best when the government gets out of the way. Jobs and people are leaving California as it gets more liberal and shuts down more businesses... Texas business is growing and growing... it isn't rocket science as to why, but I was born here and I want to stay here...

Thanks amigo, I know the same has happened to your business...

TMW - 4-5-2012 at 01:08 PM

DK I thought you had a job other than the sprinkler business.

David K - 4-5-2012 at 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
DK I thought you had a job other than the sprinkler business.

Yes, I am writing... mostly for free here on Baja Nomad (lol), but monthly travel articles for Baja Bound and I am co-authoring a new book on the California missions... (ALL of California, which was Baja first) not that that helps me now. Basically the irrigation and landscape improvement business has been my main source of income since 1980.

TMW - 4-5-2012 at 05:32 PM

What happened to this job in Feb.?

"I learned today I got hired as a full time guy at an irrigation/ garden supply store. I will be working Saturdays, with Sunday and Wednesday off."

David K - 4-5-2012 at 05:44 PM

It wasnt good for me unfortunately. was there 2 weeks.

Bajahowodd - 4-5-2012 at 05:54 PM

Quote:

Until you corrected someone's spelling? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just kidding. Couldn't help it.:saint:

David K - 4-5-2012 at 07:31 PM

Yah, they spelled Loreto with two t's, and that did it for me!

rts551 - 4-5-2012 at 09:49 PM

Quote:

???

mcfez - 4-5-2012 at 10:13 PM

Hell David.......the contracting business is nuked :-) Didn't I suggest to you to write a Baja Book a year or two ago? Free copy for me....yes?

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks Deno... I guess I just don't take being out of work as easy as others... What did the actor say, "I'm as mad a hell, and I'm not going to take it any more"?

I am venting with my friends here, not making it personal, but it just makes some get defensive. The economy works best when the government gets out of the way. Jobs and people are leaving California as it gets more liberal and shuts down more businesses... Texas business is growing and growing... it isn't rocket science as to why, but I was born here and I want to stay here...

Thanks amigo, I know the same has happened to your business...

TMW - 4-6-2012 at 07:07 AM

Quote:

Now you've got more time for Baja or to write a book.

CortezBlue - 4-8-2012 at 07:44 PM

The job lasted 2 weeks because of all of the corrections that took place.