BajaNomad

OK - things are getting out of hand...

Santiago - 4-4-2012 at 08:03 PM

BBQ chicken flavored swim baits here. I don't know, maybe things started going down hill with WD40 infused worms. But BBQ chicken??? Maybe I'll just take a squeeze bottle of Mr Tubbs Xtra Spicy and squirt that on my lures......Now if they come out with a good 'slaw on the side, might just work.

willardguy - 4-4-2012 at 08:14 PM

I think its barbequed chicken "color" not flavor. no luck with gulp down here but socal perch sure do love it!

baitcast - 4-5-2012 at 08:19 AM

I,ve been taking fish oil for some time and everytime I belch up a bit Hmm smells fishy tastes fishy why not bust a cap and wipe a little on a jig,bait or whatever,got to try it one of these days.
Rob

Pompano - 4-5-2012 at 09:18 AM

Late 1960's and I recall the first time our charter boat captain/guide on Lake Michigan insisted on spraying all our lures with WD-40.

We caught limits of lakers so quickly we all became fervent followers of stinked-up baits thereafter....so much for purism. We go with what works!

Gals have known this for a long, long time...'Channel No. 5', 'Red', 'Notorious', etc, etc..same idea. ;D

Bajahowodd - 4-5-2012 at 04:01 PM

I think they're leftovers from Domino's.:lol::lol:

Hook - 4-5-2012 at 04:56 PM

That settles it. I am going to bridle my left over wing bones and hit em with a dash of Frank's.

4baja - 4-5-2012 at 05:46 PM

jim i think it comes down to words, when they say moter oil scampies work great they dont mean use moter oil over them. save the bbq sauce for the bar-b-que!!!!!

woody with a view - 4-5-2012 at 08:12 PM

the guy's at San Nicolas Island SWEAR by "gumbo" swimbaits.

i figured they meant color and didn't want to be the dumb guy who asked WTF? they were fishing with squid so i'm guessing they are talking color, not stewing some plastics in a pot of good stuff!

Santiago - 4-5-2012 at 08:22 PM

I often flat out lie about fishing. Having admitted that, you can have some faith in my voracity.
In the 1970s, my father would fish for trout in central Oregon by anchoring up and using Velveeta cheese on a #14 treble hook. We were taught as younguns that Velveeta was a gift from god.
One day the bite seemed a bit off and my 8 year old nephew had a big gob of chocolate cake his grandmother had given him and he asked his grandfather that maybe the trout would like some chocolate cake. What the heck - the cheese thing wasn't working so we wadded up some chocolate cake dough balls and commenced to slay 'em. All the social security set around us had buttgus while we were whooping and hollering for a couple of hours. Seriously pi**ed them off. Next day we have half of grandma's cake on board ready to seriously lay the wood to 'em - nada. nothing. Didn't even bother to bring the Velveeta.
Here's where it gets eerie;10 years later we bury my father and at the dinner my nephew brings up this story. My sainted mother, may god rest her soul, pulled me aside and said she had spiked the cake that day with some 'oregano' that the camp hippies had given her before leaving camp a week before. She later suspected she had put pot in the cake but never told anyone.
I, of course, have never put this theory to test after that but my nephew has. He reports it must be something about Oregon trout because it has no affect on South Dakota fish.

willardguy - 4-5-2012 at 08:26 PM

stoned to the gills?

baitcast - 4-6-2012 at 10:45 AM

The cheese thing has been a old stand-by just like me,Dad always had some handy just a case,I won a bet one time that I could catch a trigger on a beer can tab,won that bet no problem.

Bent that tab double tied a hook on,added a splitshot and half a dozen casts later had a trigger,so much for secret bait for triggers:lol:
Rob
Drank Coors in those days that probably had something to do with it.

[Edited on 4-6-2012 by baitcast]

Cypress - 4-6-2012 at 10:58 AM

Santiago,:lol:

santiago

captkw - 4-6-2012 at 11:02 AM

In the mountains above santa cruz calif. where I was sorta raised,,we used vevita cheese with great success !! BTW great story about the cake...and the diff between fishing and a wishing !! K&T :cool:

Cypress - 4-6-2012 at 11:08 AM

Cheese is the #1 bait for catfish, in catfish traps down in the bayou country of the deep south USA. It works!;)

jeans - 4-7-2012 at 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
Maybe I'll just take a squeeze bottle of Mr Tubbs Xtra Spicy and squirt that on my :o :o......
Whatever works for ya

chuckie - 4-7-2012 at 02:53 AM

Years ago, when they still gave beer can openers away, we had lost most of our lures to BIG roosters..We wired hooks to beer can openers and slew em....:rolleyes:

WD-40

Fishmagician - 4-27-2012 at 09:39 PM

It's primary ingredient is fish oil,,,,yep that's a fact:lol:

acadist - 4-28-2012 at 05:53 AM

Whenever I buy lures I ask my kids first to look and if it makes them feel hungry....it's a keeper:biggrin:

David K - 4-28-2012 at 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fishmagician
It's primary ingredient is fish oil,,,,yep that's a fact:lol:

That's what I thought, too... However... The truth is reported it not to be so! If you can find it true, I would welcome it... Afterall, WD-40 was invented in San Diego... where the tuna fleet was stationed.

Curt63 - 4-29-2012 at 09:49 AM

Yep, Grandpa taught me to fish with velveeta too. I dont remember what we were catchin but we caught a lot of fish.

This is one of my all time favorite pics.

[Edited on 4-29-2012 by Curt63]