BajaNomad

AWD Astro Van

chuckie - 4-13-2012 at 04:45 PM

I have had a couple of these around the ranch. They do really well in Mud and Snow.Whatcha think about one with taller tires and skid plates for a Moderate get around Baja rig? I have a Dodge Diesel 4 Wd, but am not terrrible ineterested in tearing it up here...

LaPazGringo - 4-13-2012 at 04:47 PM

I know a guy who swears by Astro 4x4s. Do you have the 4.3 in it?

willardguy - 4-13-2012 at 04:50 PM

I toyed with lifting mine for years.never did it but be sure to check out the overland van site. everything you need.

Ken Cooke - 4-13-2012 at 08:05 PM

Need: Oil Pan Skidplate:!:

David K - 4-13-2012 at 09:05 PM

AWD or 4WD... there is a difference.

If AWD, does it have a center differential lock out, to provide true 50/50 power split betwen the front and the rear (like a 4WD)?

Otherwise, it is a ways from being off road worthy, since power transfer on an AWD may be to the wrong tires to get you out.

Again, lower the tire's air pressure if you get into trouble.

Ken Cooke - 4-13-2012 at 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
AWD or 4WD... there is a difference.

If AWD, does it have a center differential lock out, to provide true 50/50 power split betwen the front and the rear (like a 4WD)?

Otherwise, it is a ways from being off road worthy, since power transfer on an AWD may be to the wrong tires to get you out.

Again, lower the tire's air pressure if you get into trouble.

In Baja, these rules don't apply. Just ask Neal Johns about the Ford Aerostar van in Cohabuzo Junction.:!: We still don't know what that guy was doing there at 10:30 p.m.:lol:

chuckie - 4-14-2012 at 11:42 AM

I guess I'm not clear on what happened to a Ford Aerostar has to do with the question I asked? Who is Neal Johns? Does he have an Astro Van?

David K - 4-14-2012 at 11:58 AM

Well, you got some answers, but I am still waiting for addition information from you that I asked... In the meantime, by posting comments on OTHER street vans, this thread is 'refreshed to the top of the page... and that can only have more people seeing it and perhaps getting you more answers?

Now, Neal Johns is an Aridologist here on Nomad... an expert on all things 'desert'... He has been alive since the Jesuits buit the El Camino Real and can out brey a mule in heat if you ever think of driving a Jeep instaed of a Toyota! :lol:

Any van that can be driven on 4 instead of two tires will be better... but for real off road-ness, ground clearance and under body protection must be considered... and I as I say, tires are a big part of making you move.

[Edited on 4-14-2012 by David K]

willardguy - 4-14-2012 at 12:05 PM

overland vans I tell ya. all they do is astro's and safari's

chuckie - 4-14-2012 at 02:01 PM

I dint think I needed to answer any questions, The subject was Astrovans...I was looking for anyone who had experience with them, not a tutorial on drive systems...As I mentioned in a prior post, my first 4wd trip to baja was in 1957, in a Dodge WWII ambulance, purchased from a surplus yard in San Diego. Since than I have made hundreds of trips to baja in Jeeps, Large and small blazers, pickups, motorcycles, 3 wheelers, 4 wheelers, Samurais, you name it. I have lived in Mulege on and off for over 30 years. Competed in SCORE events on motorcycles, Class 5/16 class 10's..BUT NO EXPERIENCE with Astrovans..Thats why I asked the question. I have since found several places who post experience and mods ....So thanks anyhow....Thanks Willardguy (Willard is my middle name) for posting something useful...

rts551 - 4-14-2012 at 02:08 PM

:lol::lol:

comitan - 4-14-2012 at 03:06 PM

I have a 99 Astro AWD with big tires? been all over Baja the last 5 years been in soft sand where a Jeep wrangl,er had to be helped out. Needs better motor mounts, Raise the torsion Bars, lift the rear.

chuckie - 4-14-2012 at 04:09 PM

Thats what I am looking for..Someone who been there done that...Thanks...

rts551 - 4-14-2012 at 04:10 PM

You are lucky Chuckie. Normally you would have gotten a number of Toyota pictures.

chuckie - 4-14-2012 at 04:26 PM

:yes::yes::yes::yes:

DENNIS - 4-14-2012 at 06:30 PM

It's never too late. :lol:

David K - 4-14-2012 at 07:44 PM

He asked who Neal Johns was... the person who recommended I get a Toyota back in 2000.

I thought I answered what I could and that my requesting more info would help HIM get more and better answers...

It is a discussion board, after-all... extra input does not take away anyone's ability to respond... Like the American economy, it is not finite but instead an open, ever expanding place.

chuckie - 4-15-2012 at 02:53 AM

Actually I didnt dont care who Neal Johns is, unless he can contribute to the Astrovan discussion....His name was brought up in some vague comment connected with an equally vague comment about a Ford Van..I would like to keep on point rather than move into "an open ever expanding place"...I have what I needed, Thank you, Willard and Comitan...

David K - 4-15-2012 at 11:04 AM

If you got your answer, then great... So, why not have a nice chat with us so we can get to know you...? Talking about your van seemed harmless enough...

La Paz Gringo first asked: Do you have the 4.3 in it?

I then asked if it was AWD or 4WD and if AWD, does it have a center differential lock out?

Call it 'guy talk' perhaps, but no harm was intended... Just discussion.

chuckie - 4-15-2012 at 12:27 PM

Ok, I have been Chatting for a couple of months on quite a few subjects, 130 posts, I see...more than I thought...

rts551 - 4-15-2012 at 12:54 PM

Chuckie Davids a sensitive kinda guy. He expects people to follow his lead.

chuckie - 4-15-2012 at 03:34 PM

Me too.....

comitan - 4-15-2012 at 05:56 PM

Can't give a lot of info right now on the road, if you can get a 99 or newer. Have lots of info but later.

chuckie - 4-16-2012 at 01:48 AM

OK thanks, I will buy a Van,and start this project when I go back North in July..I'll bring it back here in November, and here it will stay. initial mods will be a body and chassis lift, build some skid plates, swap in a locker, bigger (not monster) tires. I'l kit the interior for camping, and redo whatever mechanicals need redone. Based on the 2 we had at the ranch, should do what I want it to do...

CortezBlue - 4-16-2012 at 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
I have had a couple of these around the ranch. They do really well in Mud and Snow.Whatcha think about one with taller tires and skid plates for a Moderate get around Baja rig? I have a Dodge Diesel 4 Wd, but am not terrrible ineterested in tearing it up here...

Chuck

There are a bunch of Baja know it all's on here and they are legends in their own mind. However, the reality is pretty simple. You are looking for "moderate" rig. You will be able to get around the roads and probably off road, should there be a wash out or you want to hit the beach. Debating about AWD v 4x4 is neither here nor there. It all boils down to how much weight you have in your van and how much air in the tires. Sounds like a fun project.
I recently bought a 88 bronco that I use to load up all of my beach chairs and umbrellas, ice chests, boom box, fishing gear, food etc.
It is a blast to have the comfort of a comfy riding auto to hand at the beach.

PS If you ever spend any time in San Felipe you will see all types of trucks some 2x4 some 4x4 doing just fine driving down the beach selling some great drinks!!

chuckie - 4-16-2012 at 11:32 AM

Thats about what I want to use it for..Living in Baja pretty much full time now,after 30+ years of 3/4 time, I have found lots of places I like to go and stay for a few days...Example La Purisima to intercept the NORRA race, Beaches at Abreojos, etc. We have a nice home in Mulege, but once in a while, I remember what drew me to Baja in the first place...I had a couple of Astros, rigged as hunting Vehicles, and in snow and mud they were way satisfactory...Project will be done with my stepson, which will make it more fun...Thanks...

wessongroup - 4-16-2012 at 01:22 PM

Have fun with it .... sounds like you have it down pretty good ... I bought a 86 Bronco when down a year back, for the same use as CortezBlue ... now it is just sitting out front .. have disconnected the battery .. but, It fires up, when needed...

And I think of the 33 gallon fuel tank as a reserve, for the back up generator in case the power goes out for a while ...

jack - 4-17-2012 at 01:06 PM

I had an Astro AWD van that I took to the Baja for years. They have a very good 4 wheel drive system, the front and rear axles are always engaged, there's no waiting around for wheel slippage before the 4 wheel drive engages like most other AWD's. Another plus is that even with full time 4 wheel drive the van still got pretty good gas mileage. Ground clearance is not bad at 7 1/2" to the bottom of the rear differential. Power is also pretty good for a 4.3 L motor. I went places in deep sand where diesel pickups could not hope to go :D. I took the rear seats out of it when I went to the Baja and put in a queen size bed and a portapotty. All camping gear was stored under the bed. I pulled an enclosed trailer with my dirt bike and I could go pretty well any where I wanted. The only reason I got rid of it was that the wife wanted an RV and the towing capacity of the Astro is only 5000 lbs. The van was far more practical then the 4x4 3/4 ton extended cab PU that I have now, I liked the Astro's 4 wheel drive system far more then the part time system that I have now. I can't figure out why GM quit building them.

Mexico 2005 001 (Small).jpg - 37kB

chuckie - 4-17-2012 at 03:08 PM

Thanks! We have already started parts aquisition in anticipation of the project starting....Havnt bought a Van yet :?: But have found and bought a set of S10 springs and ordered some hardware.. I'll be looking for a 95ish Cargo Van in July, hopefully in the Grand Junction Colorado area..Work will be done at my Stepsons place in Fruita...Should have kept the one I sold last year and used it as the project basis :no: Unless I cut them up for something else, I should still have the bunk and cabinets in the shop :saint: Conjecture has started on engine tweakage :?: These projects get out of control fast dont they....:o:o

willardguy - 4-17-2012 at 03:30 PM

your call but 95's with their center port injection and that flippin EGR valve issue didnt make my 95 the best one ive had. I would look newer if possible. my 03 was a dream compared. and I loved the dutch doors but thats just me. ----JMHO---

willardguy - 4-17-2012 at 03:47 PM

oh yeah, and the 17 inch 4 wheel disc brakes didnt hurt either

chuckie - 4-17-2012 at 04:09 PM

Ok, That makes sense...Thanks for the input..easy to do since I havnt bought one yet...:biggrin: