BajaNomad

WD 40

thebajarunner - 4-16-2012 at 05:08 PM

Every time I read a "must take to Baja" list it includes a can of this stuff.
And, when I read about a road side fix, with duct tape and wire, somehow WD 40 works its way into the equation.
I have finally come to realize that this is really nasty stuff, and since they have come out with so many great silicone spray products I have tossed the blue and yellow can in the dumper.
This may sound like a product plug (it is not) but the Liquid Wrench Silicone spray is really awesome.
Somehow, in the WD 40 recipe, they have added a kind of drying agent, so while you think you are lubricating, you are really just giving temporary relief and long-term problems.
Check out the new sprays and you too will be tossing the old (and I might add) stinky can in the trash.

David K - 4-16-2012 at 05:14 PM

Gee, just when the fishing web sites are raving about the bites they get after spraying WD-40 onto thier lures, etc.

WD = Water Displacement (formula #40)... Invented here in San Diego to be used on the Atlas Rockets we also built here....

[Edited on 4-17-2012 by David K]

Pompano - 4-16-2012 at 05:18 PM

The silicon spray is great stuff for a thousand uses...but....NO fisherman is throwing away his can of WD-40.

willardguy - 4-16-2012 at 05:24 PM

urban legend has it that the main ingredient is fish oil. wd40 says not so, but something in there fish like!

Barry A. - 4-16-2012 at 05:48 PM

I love the smell of WD-40 in the morning!!!

Barry

mrfatboy - 4-16-2012 at 06:12 PM

My friend is the VP of WD 40. She used to run the SD office but was transferred to Australia several years ago to get that office up and running. She now is doing her last couple of years in China. WD40 around the world!

25 years ago I had a jeep cj5 and I was plowed thru a stream in La Bocana (young and impatient). Water totally drenched my engine and would not start. I took off the rotor cap and sprayed WD 40 in the cap and on the points and rotor. Jeep started right back up. That's my WD 40 story :)

David K - 4-16-2012 at 06:15 PM

Wonderful story! Mr Fat

The smell reminds me of my dad cleaing his fishing reels... thanks Barry!

Willard, I could have sworn that the oil was derived from the tuna industry being here in San Diego and all... but according to the Internet it was an urban myth... although I still hold out some hope there is a bit of tuna in every can! (ask any mermaid)

durrelllrobert - 4-16-2012 at 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

WD = Water Displacement (formula #40)... Invented here in San Diego to be used on the Atlas Rockets we also built here....

Are you old enough to have been involved with the Convair Atlas missile development? I worked on the "Model E" at plant 1 in 1956 then moved up to the new GD Astronautics plant on Kearney Mesa in 1958 and then ended up working at the Sycamore Canyon test facility until 1960.

mrfatboy - 4-16-2012 at 07:26 PM

I just remembered WD40 story #2 :)

My high school chemistry teacher would take a can of WD40 and light the stream on fire and spray the flame thrower like device over our heads every day to get our attention. It had to spray at least back 5 rows of students over their heads :)

A student said he is going to blow us all up one day because the flame could travel back down the tube and ignite the whole can. The teacher said that was impossible because the pressure would keep the flame out of the can.

Jump ahead 25 years at a dinner party at my house discussing this same story with my WD40 VP friend. I told her it was impossible for the can to blow up per my chemistry teacher. My friend ask me if I wanted to see the numerous documents and lawsuits regarding people burning their face off and blowing off fingers doing the same WD40 flame thrower trick.

I stood corrected and so began my journey to question everything. LOL.

Have i used WD40 as a flame thrower since? Yes, of course ;) who can resist?

mulegemichael - 4-16-2012 at 08:05 PM

dk...it reminds me of cleaning MY OWN reels...just today...i'm gonna stay old school with wd...gosh, we sprayed it in a lock on a downrigger mount this morning and this afternoon it was easily....now there's an ad fer ya.

Islandbuilder - 4-16-2012 at 10:46 PM

Invented by Richard Rypinski, who used to have a place in Rancho Santa Fe.
Good for setting a tire bead, and as starting fluid if you're worried about blowing the head off or rings out with either.
I don't use it as a lubricant anymore, but it sure is a good cleaner and de-watering agent.

Bob and Susan - 4-17-2012 at 05:58 AM

or cleaning off oil base paint on you hands after painting

or

taking that black grease you have on your fingers after you work on an old engine
actually that is the best reason for having it...use as a cleaner

mcfez - 4-17-2012 at 07:12 AM

I use WD40 for underarm deodorant.

The stuff is great for saving my fishing gear......but will try this new stuff.

wd 40

captkw - 4-17-2012 at 07:13 AM

water despersent 40 is junk !! try AERO KROIL !! I have saved folk's mucho buck's with this stuff..I give a can and tell to spray it in the morn and then in the afternoon and call me in a week,,repley: but ,I want to go fishing this weekend....my repley: ok,,but if that nut/bolt/screw break's,,you looking up to 1,000 dllrs more in repair (I/O=outboard) and I dont get any arguement and the parts mostly come apart..and if they dont,,that moter is a hurting !! K&T..slamning salmon in monterey ca. :cool:

Pompano - 4-17-2012 at 07:31 AM

Ah...WD 40!

Ya sure, ya betcha....Better than melted butter to make the lutefisk slide down your gullet.

But I would not lube my Nikon's shutter release with that stuff...

BillP - 4-17-2012 at 07:34 AM

WD 40 is 78% solvent which flashes off quickly, the residue becomes sticky/gooey after a while. For a penetrant, lubricant, moisture displacer, and corrosion inhibitor, my money's on Corrosion-X

Cardon Man - 4-17-2012 at 07:48 AM

Now we're talkin...Corrosion X!

watizname - 4-17-2012 at 08:45 AM

I worked with an old Texan when I was a young man, and he would spray WD-40 on his elbow, and rub it in, saying it relieved the pain of arthritis. He swore it was true.:cool::cool:

Islandbuilder - 4-17-2012 at 09:20 AM

Yep!! Best penetrating lube out there. I have several cans on the boat! A bit hard to find, so buy a few cans when you see it. There is a silicone-based Areo Kroil as well for use on stuff that would be damaged by petroleum products.

It's the oil that kreeps!

Also check out Boeshield (not sure of the spelling).

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
water despersent 40 is junk !! try AERO KROIL !! I have saved folk's mucho buck's with this stuff..I give a can and tell to spray it in the morn and then in the afternoon and call me in a week,,repley: but ,I want to go fishing this weekend....my repley: ok,,but if that nut/bolt/screw break's,,you looking up to 1,000 dllrs more in repair (I/O=outboard) and I dont get any arguement and the parts mostly come apart..and if they dont,,that moter is a hurting !! K&T..slamning salmon in monterey ca. :cool:

David K - 4-17-2012 at 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Are you old enough to have been involved with the Convair Atlas missile development? I worked on the "Model E" at plant 1 in 1956 then moved up to the new GD Astronautics plant on Kearney Mesa in 1958 and then ended up working at the Sycamore Canyon test facility until 1960.

Not quite, but I remember driving by the plants going to downtown San Diego from Del Mar, before I-5 was built. My dad told me that they were building rockets in there.

Sweetwater - 4-17-2012 at 09:37 AM

If WD40 penetrates then evaporates, this could be very bad for rubber O-rings and those types of applications.....I've always been a 3-1 oil guy for those.......

SillyCone isn't for everything....

Oso - 4-17-2012 at 02:04 PM

Redneck repair kit: WD40 for everything you want to move that doesn't. Duct tape for everything you don't want to move that does.

DavidE - 4-17-2012 at 02:55 PM

I've seemingly used every penetrant, and every trichloroethylene, lacquer thinner, ATF, and diesel concoction formula on the planet. Having built more than ten thousand alternators with my own hands, I can say that KROIL outperformed everything else by a wide margin.

For electronic connections, jacks and plugs, computer edge contacts, remote control battery connections, even my electric blanket NOTHING IN THE WORLD can touch the efficacy of "Deoxit D100L"

Several years ago I had a video card that kept malfunctioning. Substituting other cards eliminated the intermittent but they were borrowed. I tried with zero improvement eight different tuner cleaners, and even buffing out the edge contacts with art gun eraser, then wiping with alcohol. NADA! P-nche NADA!

Then a friend loaned me some DeOxit D100. I applied TWO DROPS smeared it around with my finger, waited two minutes then wiped it off.

PRESTO! Not a hint of problem for the next three years.

This stuff is a miracle AND IT DOES NOT AFFECT PLASTIC. I inadvertently left drops on the lens of reading glasses for weeks and wiping it off revealed untouched transparency.

The manufacturer even gloats that it is not harmful even when accidentally ingested. A little too expensive to gulp down however.

This stuff removes, I say REMOVES corrosion. It makes a mockery of any other electronic contact cleaner on earth.

Cypress - 4-17-2012 at 03:13 PM

DavidE, Thanks for the info.:D

Cyanide41 - 4-17-2012 at 04:08 PM

I use it to CLEAN (not lube) motorcycle chains.

DavidE - 4-17-2012 at 05:41 PM

CYPRESS: Para servile!

CYANIDE41: Similar finding. KROIL is a superb penetrant and allows unthreading of parts, but there's better stuff for lubrication. Unknown but absolutely superb is LUBRICATION ENGINEER'S synthetic spray lubricant. It w-a-y outperforms lubes like "Corrosion X" especially for chains. It stays put and reduces wear to almost nothing.

http://products.lelubricants.com/item/aerosol-lubricants/syn...

SKIDS - 4-17-2012 at 06:01 PM

YA GOTTA TRY EASY GLIDE !!!

Trichloroethylene

MrBillM - 4-17-2012 at 06:09 PM

Hard to beat for its effectiveness in a Vapor Degreaser, but options for using that are (were) limited.

Those that LOVE WD-40 will continue to do so. The same is true for those who Hate it.

Nobody will change.

I'm on the LOVE list. I've got the stuff EVERYWHERE. Just used some on a truck door-hinge a few hours back.

[Edited on 4-18-2012 by MrBillM]

The nice thing about WD40 is....

thebajarunner - 4-17-2012 at 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
Hard to beat for its effectiveness in a Vapor Degreaser, but options for using that are (were) limited.

Those that LOVE WD-40 will continue to do so. The same is true for those who Hate it.

Nobody will change.

I'm on the LOVE list. I've got the stuff EVERYWHERE. Just used some on a truck door-hinge a few hours back.

[Edited on 4-18-2012 by MrBillM]

....if you "love it" then you got the right product,
cuz that hinge you lubed will dry out very nicely after applying this product.
I used to "love it" until I realized it has more drying qualities than lubricating effects...
And you are absolutely correct- those that love the stink will keep on spraying it, and those of us that have discovered so many new and improved products will continue the search for even more and better....
All I know is the door hinges in the house no longer squeak, the Ford tail gate no longer sticks, and my pool guy sez it is o.k. to put it on the very sticky back flush valve thanks to silicone spray...... and, you can spray it in the house and the little Senora does not wrinkle her nose over the nostalgia odor.

IF it Squeaks

MrBillM - 4-17-2012 at 08:06 PM

AGAIN, I'll spray it again.

Seems to work for quite awhile, though. ALWAYS has.

And, it's cheap.

To each their own and who gives a sh-t anyway ?

Neal Johns - 4-17-2012 at 08:11 PM

At the Missile Engineering Station where I worked, WD-40 could not pass the test for corrosion protection at sea and LPS-2 did, and was used.

http://www.lpslabs.com/product_pg/lubricants_pg/LPS2.html

willardguy - 4-17-2012 at 08:44 PM

always been a LPS-2 fan, anyone tried it on a krockodile?

DavidE - 4-17-2012 at 08:53 PM

I use a witch's brew of LPS (3), anhydrous lanolin, and mold release wax. Dumped it into a commercial quality pump sprayer from Home Despot. Treated surfaces lasted two years inside a plastic bottle filled with seawater and tossed into gulf of california with stopper with hole admitting fresh sea water. Mirror buffed mild steel strap did not have a smudge of corrosion on it.

willardguy - 4-17-2012 at 09:03 PM

but did it catch a fish?:bounce:

WHY ?

MrBillM - 4-17-2012 at 10:20 PM

"I use a witch's brew of LPS (3), anhydrous lanolin, and mold release wax. Dumped it into a commercial quality pump sprayer from Home Despot. Treated surfaces lasted two years inside a plastic bottle filled with seawater and tossed into gulf of california with stopper with hole admitting fresh sea water. Mirror buffed mild steel strap did not have a smudge of corrosion on it".

There HAVE to be more satisfying Hobbies than that.

I've never understood the fascination with Stamps, Jigsaw puzzles or Bug-Collecting, but they ALL seem like they'd be more interesting.

DavidE - 4-17-2012 at 11:03 PM

Testing.
Ever live c-l-o-s-e to a tropical sea? Where you have to change 40 outlets and 20 light switches when they go bad? Ever try and find gringo grade receptacles and switches anywhere but in the largest Mexican cities? Ever ask them for specification grade receptacles?

My hobby is gardening. My passion is NOT to have to screw around with corroded receptacles, switches, service drops, ground rods, and breaker boxes every time I turn around.

Testing told me my witches brew treated parts are going to outlast me.

Now, back to gardening!

David K - 4-17-2012 at 11:28 PM

How long have you been gardening David?

Bob and Susan - 4-18-2012 at 05:39 AM

the same electrical plugs are sold in mulege as in home depot usa...

the same breakers...the same wire...the same switches...

its the installer that isn't the same

and

i agree with mbill...damn...i like wd40
it works...its here and it's cheap

chuckie - 4-18-2012 at 06:51 AM

Really bad with rum tho...just sayin...

DENNIS - 4-18-2012 at 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
"I use a witch's brew of LPS (3), anhydrous lanolin, and mold release wax. Dumped it into a commercial quality pump sprayer from Home Despot. Treated surfaces lasted two years inside a plastic bottle filled with seawater and tossed into gulf of california with stopper with hole admitting fresh sea water. Mirror buffed mild steel strap did not have a smudge of corrosion on it".

Wouldn't the elimination of air have something to do with the slow deterioration?

DavidE - 4-18-2012 at 08:07 AM

Number one, please note that a specification grade receptacle is different from a standard receptacle. Sort of like comparing a Michelin tire to a Serene Butterfly brand made by the People's Liberation Army. Next to the pounding surf I do NOT want to change receptacles ever again. With multiple strand only available wire here I solder 14 gauge X # 6 terminal block fork terminals onto the wire. Many spec grade receptacles have wire insert holes on the rear that clamp down with the side clamping screws. Then I do not have to solder.

Number two: A similar mirror buffed untreated strap was pulled up from the dock in Sta Rosalia and was totally brown and badly pitted. So badly pitted that if one had rubbed it lightly across the skin it would have drawn blood. One side of this strap had been sprayed with WD 40 until it dripped. Upon pulling it out I could not tell which side had had the WD 40 applied to it.

I am far too cheap to save a dollar and lose 100. All my battery chargers have been disassembled and the internals have been coated with the witches brew. Same for expensive LED flashlights, 190 LED rechargeable floodlight, GE spiral light bulbs, everything. No more Ben Franklin's flying out of my wallet because of laziness.

I have been gardening all my life when I have the place and the time to do it. My place in Michoacan has 32 haden mango trees. Jesus and Eduardo call me a manguero. I am importing a half ton of compost to be mixed with a ton of steer manure for my garden here. I have brought 7 kinds of lettuce 12 greens, three types of corn, broccoli, cauliflower, leeks, French carrots, 3 different potatoes, even Brussels Sprouts seeds. Am planting local garlic today.

Try Googling BAY FARM SEEDS
Their seeds germinate. This is a professional seed dispensary in the midwest and not a joke like market seeds. Very high germination, almost uncanny. Superb service and bulk seed quantities as well as samples packets.

David K - 4-18-2012 at 08:17 AM

I am also a fan of tropical fruit, was a member of the California Rare Fruit Growers, back in the 1980's... wrote about growing banana trees here.

Hice you could get south to where things like that do so well!

So, in Tecate, you probably didn't have a garden?

baitcast - 4-18-2012 at 08:43 AM

As Barry mentioned early in the morn just prior to shoving off a shot of WD-40 on your stuff and O that great smell.

Always carried in my boats,car and home never be without the stuff,some Duct tap and you are ready for anything:lol:
Rob

DAVED E

captkw - 4-18-2012 at 10:09 AM

hola,deoxit is awsome for elec. connection's..like feul injection connection's and older pot's on stereo's,,and the only spray can with 3 pressure setting's (sweet) and it will cost you a chunck of change..but it make's stuff WORK !! K&T:cool:

Bob and Susan - 4-18-2012 at 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Number one, please note that a specification grade receptacle is different from a standard receptacle. Sort of like comparing a Michelin tire to a Serene Butterfly brand made by the People's Liberation Army...

Michelin produces tyres in France, Spain, Germany, the USA, the UK, Canada, Brazil, Thailand, Japan, Italy and several other countries IE: the peoples liberation army:lol: