BajaNomad

Abalone season opened last week in Asuncion

shari - 4-18-2012 at 03:29 PM

Spring is a happy time here as abalone season gets underway meaning another boost to the local economy. Lobster season was the best EVER and boy it sure shows in our village. I have never seen so much building going on...new houses springing up and big improvements on some old ones too as well as lots of new vehicles. the economy is thriving indeed. Here is the biggest project being built by a local guy, not sure if it is a hotelito or just rental rooms but it is supposed to be 2 stories.

In my husband Juan's cooperativa, there are 13 abalone pangas and they take in about a hundred abs a day each. There are 3 guys on each boat, the captain who makes sure the panga stays off the rocks and in position for the diver, the tender who operates the compressor and hookah set up and makes sure the hose doesnt get tangled and the diver who pry's abs off the rocks and puts them in a net bag that he sends up to the tender who will sort them into sizes and pack them into crates.

The 2 cooperativas in our village both process the abalone, one cans them and the other packs them into fancy jars that get shipped mostly to the orient. A can of grade A abalone is about $80. We just enjoyed our first fresh abalone dinner a few days ago as they give the fishermen a few to eat with their families.

The cooperativa store also sells abalone sausage which is yummy and has started selling new products like smoked yellowtail too...here is the list of seafood prices at the store.

I like caracol more than abalone if it's canned and it's alot cheaper!

[Edited on 4-18-2012 by shari]

Udo - 4-18-2012 at 03:44 PM

HOLA Shari!

Quick and easy abalone recipe:

Start you deep fat fryer and get it to about 365 degrees (use local lard), or just to get the lard melted.
Strip and clean the abalone shell (all the black stuff)
Julienne each abalone meat into 1/4 to 3/8" thick slices
Put slices in a suitable small bowl
Add a little salt
Juice of several limes (depends on how many pieces of meat you have)
Open a small can of chipotle sauce and pour over the meat

Marinade for 4-6 hours

Deep fry for about 45 seconds

Eat immediately!

Incredible taste! Eat with a toothpick or fork.

Udo - 4-18-2012 at 03:47 PM

Forgot to mention...
I'll be in Ensenada this weekend for the Vino y Conchas festivities.
Hopefully they'll have soem abalone as part of the conchas.

Sallysouth - 4-18-2012 at 04:32 PM

All I can say is YUM!!! Do you bread and fry them with garlic?I wish I could jump in my car and drive down there rightnow! Good to hear the town is thriving.

willardguy - 4-18-2012 at 04:34 PM

so hows that work, you can buy the ab sausage but not just the ab?

rts551 - 4-18-2012 at 04:57 PM

The ab sausage is all the ab trimmings

willardguy - 4-18-2012 at 05:11 PM

so is it tasty or do all the spices overpower the ab flavor? vinces here in rosarito sells a fish chorizo, havnt tried it.

shari - 4-18-2012 at 08:38 PM

this year I'm going to make the ab sausage myself so the spices dont overpower the flavour too much...it's pretty delicious but cant beat Juan's pounded, breaded fried in garlic butter ab medallions!!!

I think you can only buy canned abs as they all get canned immediately.

Sallysouth - 4-18-2012 at 10:59 PM

Well that answered my question!What does he bread them in? A Bollio in the processer, in the oven to crisp up? just a thought..

tiotomasbcs - 4-19-2012 at 07:03 AM

Thanks for the pics and interesting report Shari. The Central Pacific Coast Coops are a great example of how a fish coop should be run, verdad. I only wish some fresh whole Abalone was available to the public. How much is exported and how much is paid for it? Golden Medallions de Abulone al mojo de ajo!!! Delicioso. Tio

Bob H - 4-19-2012 at 07:26 AM

I have never had abalone and wonder what the taste and texture must be like. The photos look very nice Shari!

Taco de Baja - 4-19-2012 at 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
I have never had abalone and wonder what the taste and texture must be like. The photos look very nice Shari!

A little like clams and calamari, only a lot better.
Sadly it's been a long time since I had any. The abs in local waters off So. CA are protected in an attempt to allow the species to recover from the bacteria infection that causes their foot to wither and most to die.

I think the last one I had was in 1995 or 1996, given to us by a fisherman at our secret Baja beach camping spot.

Nice link to abs here if anyone is interested in learning more about them: http://www.marinebio.net/marinescience/06future/abindex.htm

[Edited on 4-19-2012 by Taco de Baja]

Bob H - 4-19-2012 at 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H

A little like clams and calamari, only a lot better.
Sadly it's been a long time since I had any. The abs in local waters off So. CA are protected in an attempt to allow the species to recover from the bacteria infection that causes their foot to wither and most to die.

I think the last one I had was in 1995 or 1996, given to us by a fisherman at our secret Baja beach camping spot.

Nice link to abs here if anyone is interested in learning more about them: http://www.marinebio.net/marinescience/06future/abindex.htm

[Edited on 4-19-2012 by Taco de Baja]

Wow, what a great link! Thanks.

Abs

dpwahoo - 4-19-2012 at 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari

Spring is a happy time here as abalone season gets underway meaning another boost to the local economy. Lobster season was the best EVER and boy it sure shows in our village. I have never seen so much building going on...new houses springing up and big improvements on some old ones too as well as lots of new vehicles. the economy is thriving indeed. Here is the biggest project being built by a local guy, not sure if it is a hotelito or just rental rooms but it is supposed to be 2 stories.

In my husband Juan's cooperativa, there are 13 abalone pangas and they take in about a hundred abs a day each. There are 3 guys on each boat, the captain who makes sure the panga stays off the rocks and in position for the diver, the tender who operates the compressor and hookah set up and makes sure the hose doesnt get tangled and the diver who pry's abs off the rocks and puts them in a net bag that he sends up to the tender who will sort them into sizes and pack them into crates.

The 2 cooperativas in our village both process the abalone, one cans them and the other packs them into fancy jars that get shipped mostly to the orient. A can of grade A abalone is about $80. We just enjoyed our first fresh abalone dinner a few days ago as they give the fishermen a few to eat with their families.

The cooperativa store also sells abalone sausage which is yummy and has started selling new products like smoked yellowtail too...here is the list of seafood prices at the store.

I like caracol more than abalone if it's canned and it's alot cheaper!

[Edited on 4-18-2012 by shari]

dpwahoo - 4-19-2012 at 09:22 AM

1300 abs a day, no wonder there are not too many of them.

DianaT - 4-19-2012 at 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dpwahoo

The co-ops do a census of the abalone population every year before the opening of the season. They base the number of abalone to be taken on that census. They are very aware of protecting their future.

I personally have never cared much for fresh abalone, but some friends in BA serve us canned abalone almost every time we visit. They have it either in c-cktails or marinated in a soy sauce and served with crackers and I love it!

[Edited on 4-19-2012 by DianaT]

BajaRat - 4-19-2012 at 10:37 AM

VIVA Asuncion!:cool:

Bajaboy - 4-19-2012 at 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:
Originally posted by dpwahoo

The co-ops do a census of the abalone population every year before the opening of the season. They base the number of abalone to be taken on that census. They are very aware of protecting their future.

I personally have never cared much for fresh abalone, but some friends in BA serve us canned abalone almost every time we visit. They have it either in c-cktails or marinated in a soy sauce and served with crackers and I love it!

[Edited on 4-19-2012 by DianaT]

I'm with you Diana about abalone...but our neighbor makes a mean "michilada" type beverage with the juice from the canned abalone. Very tasty especially with abalone cocteles...

woody with a view - 4-19-2012 at 10:53 AM

now i'm getting hungry....

willardguy - 4-19-2012 at 11:00 AM

you know ken bondy has spent hours swimming with and photographing these magnificent creatures and now you want to eat them?:lol:

woody with a view - 4-19-2012 at 11:45 AM

there are benefits to being at the top of the food chain...

capt. mike - 4-19-2012 at 03:09 PM

When me and a buddy flew to Asuncion in May 2010 for a day trip from Mulege to meet shari and Juan they gave us each a couple of cans of fresh seasonal abalone product.
it was so fricking good!! i could not believe the meat sizes that came out of the can! tender and full of flavor - perfect in a salad or just dipped in hot sauce on crackers.

i wish i could go back manana.
maybe next year - we'll see. I'll pay whatever the market price is there and hope to try more stuff they can.
great place.

Skipjack Joe - 4-19-2012 at 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike

When me and a buddy flew to Asuncion

When my buddy and I .....

<<< oooga oooga, Dk police alert! >>>:lol::lol:

David K - 4-19-2012 at 06:17 PM

No, no...I don't correct English spelling or grammer... ONLY BAJA PLACE NAME SPELLING... :light:

Bob H - 4-19-2012 at 06:20 PM

Quote:
When me and a buddy flew to Asuncion in May 2010 for a day trip from Mulege to meet shari and Juan they gave us each a couple of cans of fresh seasonal abalone product.
it was so fricking good!! i could not believe the meat sizes that came out of the can! tender and full of flavor - perfect in a salad or just dipped in hot sauce on crackers.

maybe next year - we'll see. I'll pay whatever the market price is there and hope to try more stuff they can.
great place.

Looks like you can buy it on-line from a few places. Here is one of them...
http://www.mexgrocer.com/calmex-abalone.html

willardguy - 4-19-2012 at 06:33 PM

$120 dollars a can! am I reading this right?

Bob H - 4-20-2012 at 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy

I first wondered if that was $120 pesos, but I think it's US Dollars. Expensive indeed.

I checked a link for buying abalone from New Zealand and it's much more reasonable. We wil be in New Zealand in October and will definately have some abalone while we are there. Abalone is called pāua there and is supposed to be widely available.

willardguy - 4-20-2012 at 09:18 AM

Quote:

great place.
wow those were some pretty generous gifts!:o

capt. mike - 4-20-2012 at 09:24 AM

i think they get them at cost. Maybe even in partial payment since he is a harvestor?

i have seen it in stores in states sometimes for $40 or so a can. passed.

Enrique2012 - 4-20-2012 at 09:39 AM

Are all of the harvested abalone exported? I'll be traveling through on my moto a week from now and am curious if the local restaurants serve them also?

msteve1014 - 4-20-2012 at 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy

Where are you guys seeing that? I don't see it on the board, and Shari said $80 a can.:?:

And I agree, once it is in a can, caracol is just as good as abalone.

willardguy - 4-20-2012 at 04:52 PM

http://www.mexgrocer.com/calmex-abalone.html

msteve1014 - 4-20-2012 at 04:57 PM

I read the thread 5 times before I posted that.:O

You need to get over to the pacific and save the big bucks.

rts551 - 4-20-2012 at 05:21 PM

all of it in Punta Abreojos is canned

msteve1014 - 4-20-2012 at 05:55 PM

May be the same in La Bocana. The only fresh abs I have had have been at a friends house, an ab diver here.

shari - 4-21-2012 at 09:30 AM

juan thinks one may be able to buy fresh abs at the cooperativa that have a little hole in them that they cant use for canning...worth investigating! I just froze a whack of the trimmings that I will use for abalone burritos, burgers and sausage for our B n B guests and buen amigos.

Bajagypsy - 4-21-2012 at 03:13 PM

YUMMY!

larryC - 4-22-2012 at 07:51 AM

I was in Gurerro Negro yesterday at the wholesale mariscos place and priced fresh abulon, $125 usd a kilo. she says she sends a fair amount to Mexico city. A can of abulon was 400 pesos. looked to be about a 12oz can. we bought some scallops for $250p a kilo. Medium shrimp weree 200p a kilo.
Larry

DENNIS - 4-22-2012 at 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by larryC
fresh abulon, $125 usd a kilo.

Never was, and never will be that good, in my estimation.
When I was in eighth grade, our first metal shop project was to make an Ab Iron. You could go down to a tide pool and pop them off the rocks. That's what people should do today instead of paying all that money. :lol:

[Edited on 4-22-2012 by DENNIS]

Skipjack Joe - 4-22-2012 at 08:43 AM

Yeah, they're there at your feet as you cast from shore. Very hard to resist.

Barry A. - 4-22-2012 at 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajagypsy
YUMMY!

Wow!!!! A long frozen "Gypsy" is thawing out finally. We have missed your posts over winter.

Barry

durrelllrobert - 4-22-2012 at 09:22 AM

What is the legal size in Baja and how many/day is each diver allowed to take?

rts551 - 4-22-2012 at 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by larryC
I was in Gurerro Negro yesterday at the wholesale mariscos place and priced fresh abulon, $125 usd a kilo. she says she sends a fair amount to Mexico city. A can of abulon was 400 pesos. looked to be about a 12oz can. we bought some scallops for $250p a kilo. Medium shrimp weree 200p a kilo.
Larry

Wonder where she gets it. The coops I have talked to all can theirs for export.

shari - 4-22-2012 at 08:29 PM

legal abs in our area is 13.5 cm for blues and 13 cm for yellow...the shell that is. In our area the divers get 100-150 a day...all of which goes to the cooperativa...no one is allowed to take abs here AT ALL...it's a federal offense punishable by several years in the clink.

the cans of abs for 400 pesos are 3rd grade and sometimes are even limpets...which are yummy too.

BajaDanD - 4-22-2012 at 09:58 PM

In Alaska I ate something called a Gumboot when they told me what it was I thought they were kidding me but here it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gumboot_chiton

Thats the closest I've ever gotten to eating an abalone. Every time I go to Asuncion theres none left.

Skipjack Joe - 4-22-2012 at 11:31 PM

Quote:
legal abs in our area is 13.5 cm for blues and 13 cm for yellow...the shell that is. In our area the divers get 100-150 a day...all of which goes to the cooperativa...no one is allowed to take abs here AT ALL...it's a federal offense punishable by several years in the clink.

the cans of abs for 400 pesos are 3rd grade and sometimes are even limpets...which are yummy too.

Sounds like you're sitting on a gold mine. How cool for asuncion.

Nobody ate limpets in my day. Except Italian immigrants.

rts551 - 4-23-2012 at 07:18 AM

Quote:

who is selling in GN? Also,in Abreojos and La Bocana at least, season limits (tonnage) is set at the beginning of the season

Taco de Baja - 4-23-2012 at 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaDanD
In Alaska I ate something called a Gumboot when they told me what it was I thought they were kidding me but here it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gumboot_chiton

Thats the closest I've ever gotten to eating an abalone. Every time I go to Asuncion theres none left.

I have not tried eating that one.
But, while out on an archaeological dig on San Nicholas Island in the early 1990s, we decided it would be fun (and educational :light: ) to try eating some of the things we were finding in the middens. The worst was the Giant Keyhole limpet (Megathura crenulata). We were hoping it might be like abalone, that we could not collect...Boy were we wrong :barf:.

It was like trying to the sole of a shoe, even though we prepared it like an abalone and pounded the heck out of it. It also tasted just awful. No wonder they were an uncommon find in the middens. :lol:

Giant Keyhole Limpet

The little chitons, were ok; just not enough return on the tiny bite to be worth the collection effort.

shari - 4-23-2012 at 09:33 AM

I LOVE limpets...I smack em off the rocks with a rock the slice out the critter with my thumbnail, feed his intestines to the anemones and take delicate little bites...it is kinda crunchy and very sweet...also chitons are delicious and a real delicacy....but then again, I love roe and fish eyes too...

Skipjack Joe - 4-23-2012 at 11:09 AM

You know, the Italians love turban snails. In fact, in Spain I would buy cooked periwinkles from vendors that sold them wrapped in newspaper. You're given a needle which you insert and pull the creature out, throwing away the shell. Tapas they called it.

Subsequently we lived with Italians and foraged with them for turban shells. I remember as a child liking it.

Northern California has tons of turban shells so I decided to go for it. It was totally disgusting. Those coiled orange bodies turned my stomach. maybe oil and garlic.

I've seen numerous gumboot chiton in my day and can't imagine eating one. They're real tough.