BajaNomad

SHARK!!!

woody with a view - 4-18-2012 at 04:00 PM

nice catch. i don't think it wanted anything to do with you, the little peanut might not have been so lucky!:light:

baitcast - 4-18-2012 at 04:02 PM

Threshers are the good guys of the shark world and maybe the most graceful swimmer of the lot,super jumper,and lastly very good eating.
Rob
After taking another look it appears something took the tip of his tail off,thats the guy you don't want to mess with:lol:

[Edited on 4-18-2012 by baitcast]

DENNIS - 4-18-2012 at 04:18 PM

Hate to see a nice animal get done in. Why don't you guys just kill'em, eat'em and quit doing the trophy thing? Why are you so effing proud of your ability to kill an animal? I reserve that distinction for the military......a feeling I know.

Thresher

tehag - 4-18-2012 at 04:26 PM

Thresher

I think that's a complete thresher tail. No nips.

willardguy - 4-18-2012 at 04:26 PM

were,not able to pull it into the boat:o no thanks! nice catch

woody with a view - 4-18-2012 at 04:27 PM

because hamburger (or sushi) doesn't grow on trees?:biggrin:

Skipjack Joe - 4-18-2012 at 04:55 PM

Well, it's hard to catch and release a shark. I suppose you could cut the line. I once had a thresher on the end of myline. I vaulted 15' right in front of me. I couldn't stop thinking about that moment for a week.

Agree with Dennis: killing it was a mistake.

chuckie - 4-18-2012 at 04:56 PM

So the military is allowed to do the trophy thing? Not in my Marine Corps...

willardguy - 4-18-2012 at 04:59 PM

how unfortunately timely.:no:

woody with a view - 4-18-2012 at 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
So the military is allowed to do the trophy thing? Not in my Marine Corps...

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-afghan-...

bill erhardt - 4-18-2012 at 05:16 PM

This trophy great white, reported to have been 20 feet long, was taken in a net off Guaymas last Sunday......

white bn.jpg - 41kB

willardguy - 4-18-2012 at 05:22 PM

man thats a big fish! I like the guy holding his daughter back. smart man, those things dont know theyre dead for days!

baitcast - 4-18-2012 at 05:25 PM

Not nearly as friendly and the size of a submarine with teeth,those guys are scary:o
Rob
this reminds me of the time:lol:anyway it was the first we had ever hooked off Orange Co. we got him along side of the boat I reach over and grab his tail:rolleyes:having no idea what I was doing the end of that tail comes up and slams me along side of my head knocks me flat on my back everyone is laughing their ares off and I,m seeing stars and the ears are rings for hours...........do not grab the tail:lol:

[Edited on 4-19-2012 by baitcast]

I am always looking to be shown the other side of the coin , but...

Howard - 4-18-2012 at 05:54 PM

Not to be argumentative but I see absolutely nothing wrong with catching a non endangered fish, legally caught and it is eaten by people less fortunate than I. Now there are those who say that at this rate, everything will be extinct at the rate of our population, but this is just my opinion.

Non endangered
Legally caught
Feeds many families

Fine by me

LaPazGringo - 4-18-2012 at 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Howard
Not to be argumentative but I see absolutely nothing wrong with catching a non endangered fish, legally caught and it is eaten by people less fortunate than I. Now there are those who say that at this rate, everything will be extinct at the rate of our population, but this is just my opinion.

Non endangered
Legally caught
Feeds many families

Fine by me

Argumentative? I think you're being downright reasonable, Howard. In fact, I find it impossible to argue with your logic.

Howard - 4-18-2012 at 07:06 PM

This is the Baja Nomad forum. I expect to get torn to shreds!
Some people on this forum would boo Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny!
:biggrin:

Working Hard at Extinction

MrBillM - 4-18-2012 at 07:57 PM

Reminds me of all the Fishing trips on my Dad's boats as a youth. He and his older cousin were Men on a Mission determined to do everything in their power to rid the Ocean of every Shark possible.

Often, not even trying to boat them. Got them to the surface and started pumping Rifle shots into them.

Neither bothered to share the motivation behind their obsessive Hatred other than the sharks stealing their catch.

It WAS interesting at times to watch the Sharks feed on each other, but got boring with repetition.

The ONE fairly interesting incident was the time they, along with another friend on his boat, boated a 6 ft Blue after pumping 45s into it and took it back to the mooring in Avalon where they took turns over the side staging mock battles for the camera. THAT was unique.

Ken Bondy - 4-18-2012 at 08:11 PM

So tragic to see a beautiful thresher killed like that. When will we come to our senses?

LaPazGringo - 4-18-2012 at 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
Reminds me of all the Fishing trips on my Dad's boats as a youth. He and his older cousin were Men on a Mission determined to do everything in their power to rid the Ocean of every Shark possible.

Often, not even trying to boat them. Got them to the surface and started pumping Rifle shots into them.

Neither bothered to share the motivation behind their obsessive Hatred other than the sharks stealing their catch.

It WAS interesting at times to watch the Sharks feed on each other, but got boring with repetition.

The ONE fairly interesting incident was the time they, along with another friend on his boat, boated a 6 ft Blue after pumping 45s into it and took it back to the mooring in Avalon where they took turns over the side staging mock battles for the camera. THAT was unique.

Yeah, that sounds shameful. May I ask what that has to do with this guy catching/eating a thresher though?

LaPazGringo - 4-18-2012 at 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
So tragic to see a beautiful thresher killed like that. When will we come to our senses?

Would it be "tragic" if another animal ate it? Or would the "tragic" part only apply if a human eats it? :?:

I'd like to come to my senses over some ice cold Pacifico and thresher shark steaks smothered in lemon and butter! Preferably without a self-righteous individual condemning me for choosing to do so.

[Edited on 4-19-2012 by LaPazGringo]

Ken Bondy - 4-18-2012 at 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LaPazGringo
Quote:

Would it be "tragic" if another animal ate it? Or would the "tragic" part only apply if a human eats it? :?:

I'd like to come to my senses over some ice cold Pacifico and thresher shark steaks smothered in lemon and butter! Preferably without a self-righteous individual condemning me for choosing to do so.

You miss my point gringo. Having spent many hours photographing them underwater I perhaps see sharks differently than those who see them only as fins for soup or steaks covered in lemon and butter. They are magnificent animals, crucially important to the health of the oceans, and we are slaughtering them in unimaginable numbers. Yes, I see each death as tragic. If that makes me self- righteous, so be it. From my perspective it is sensible.

[Edited on 4-19-2012 by Ken Bondy]

Islandbuilder - 4-18-2012 at 09:20 PM

We used to eat a lot of Thresher Shark, back when their steaks got mixed in with Swordfish. I like the shark better. Best eating shark by far!

I understand and appreciate the reluctance to destroy such an amazingly evolved preditor, but there is a rightness in eating what you have taken the responsibility to kill yourself.

Better, ethically, than the anti-hunting folks enjoying their steaks.

SoCal-Bob - 4-18-2012 at 09:40 PM

Quote:

You miss my point gringo. Having spent many hours photographing them underwater I perhaps see sharks differently than those who see them only as fins for soup or steaks covered in lemon and butter. They are magnificent animals, crucially important to the health of the oceans, and we are slaughtering them in unimaginable numbers. Yes, I see each death as tragic. If that makes me self- righteous, so be it. From my perspective it is sensible.

So if someone here photographs vegetation, do they get to complain when you eat a salad and fail to give proper homage? "How dare you eat a salad and insult it by putting it on a plate. Such majestic greens only belong in a gold rimmed bowl!"

No one was belittling the sharks or eating only their fins and throwing away the rest. You may have a point in the general sense, but your complaint here is misplaced.

Ken Bondy - 4-18-2012 at 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal-Bob
Quote:

So if someone here photographs vegetation, do they get to complain when you eat a salad and fail to give proper homage? "How dare you eat a salad and insult it by putting it on a plate. Such majestic greens only belong in a gold rimmed bowl!"

No one was belittling the sharks or eating only their fins and throwing away the rest. You may have a point in the general sense, but your complaint here is misplaced.

The salad analogy is bizarre! Talk about a "misplaced complaint"! It is the death of the shark that is tragic. After that I don't care much about what you do to it.

LaPazGringo - 4-18-2012 at 09:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No, you don't see sharks any differently than I do. You (and most of the other animal people) just think you do. Your perspective is no more elevated than mine.

How can each death of a shark be "tragic?" Are they supposed to live forever? What you're really saying is that it's perfectly natural for another animal to eat a magnificent shark, but it's "tragic" when the hated human being does, right?

A humble local feeding his family with a thresher shark is not altogether the same thing as widespread slaughter of sharks for their fins, is it?

Ken Bondy - 4-18-2012 at 10:04 PM

Quote:

No, you don't see sharks any differently than I do. You (and most of the other animal people) just think you do. Your perspective is no more elevated than mine.

How can each death of a shark be "tragic?" Are they supposed to live forever? What you're really saying is that it's perfectly natural for another animal to eat a magnificent shark, but it's "tragic" when the hated human being does, right?

A humble local feeding his family with a thresher shark is not altogether the same thing as widespread slaughter of sharks for their fins, is it?

Gringo do I understand you to say that you are a "humble local feeding his family with a thresher shark"?

willardguy - 4-18-2012 at 10:06 PM

in kens defense, he does allude to being self-righteous, he just left out the pompous a$$ part:rolleyes:

[Edited on 4-19-2012 by willardguy]

Ken Bondy - 4-18-2012 at 10:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Gringo do I understand you to say that you are a "humble local feeding his family with a thresher shark"?

Gringo the following photo is an example of "humble locals feeding their families with thresher sharks". Except in numbers, what is the difference?

woody with a view - 4-18-2012 at 10:24 PM

i disagree. Ken has a perspective most of us will never have. just look at his avatar!

that said, a shark would lament Bin-Laden's death just the same as Dick Clark dying. except the shark wouldn't have any morsels to propagate their progeny in this scenario.....

LaPazGringo - 4-18-2012 at 10:38 PM

Oh, I see how it is. See everyone, Ken is enlightened and enjoys an elevated perspective so he doesn't have to answer questions, he just gets to ask them. Not to mention cleverly employing debating tactics that appeal to the simple-minded...

I'll try one more time though. So how is "every shark death tragic?" Does this really include "every" shark death in nature, or just the ones that involve the hated human being eating the shark after he dies?

Ken Bondy - 4-18-2012 at 10:43 PM

Gringo seems to me that you're the one not answering the questions :)

LaPazGringo - 4-18-2012 at 10:56 PM

Quote:
Gringo seems to me that you're the one not answering the questions :)

I'm really beginning to think you're not so bright, Ken. Maybe I can simplify things.

1.) I asked you a couple of questions.
2.) You ignored my questions and asked your own.
3.) I asked again.
4.) You ignored again and say that I'm the one not answering your questions.

Tell you what, how about if I just stop participating in the nonsense cause I think it's frustrating and a waste of time and I'm much too common to comprehend what someone like you must comprehend up there on your plane of perspective?

woody with a view - 4-18-2012 at 10:58 PM

not that i have a dog in the shark fight, but from Dennis to Ken to SkipJack to any number of folks, i can relate to their feelings when looking at a somewhat early adult animal being put up for adulation by it's killer. it is what it is.

if you don't understand that, then grow your own protein and don't click on the fishing links anywhere on the internet. when there are no fish left to feed 10 billion people then this type of thinking might take root. until then, i have no dog in the shark fight.....

Skipjack Joe - 4-19-2012 at 12:54 AM

Quote:

Not that Ken needs my help as he is cleverly parrying against odds.

Yet the above is a sore point with me.

It is one thing to pursue a fish with the intent of eating it. Unfortunately this seldom happens. Instead usually a fish is caught by sportsmen and killed for 'personal' reasons and then justified as not going to waste because someone will be found to consume it. To me this is unethical. It's all about why you make your decision that defines right from wrong.

So it's not about who eats it but about how you came about killing it. That's probably not how Ken sees it but it's close.

Fishing shoul NOT be savagery.

Eat what you intend and leave the ego back home. It diminishes you. Let the commercial guys provide for everyone else. They are dispassionate.

Hang in there. It's about maturation.

[Edited on 4-19-2012 by Skipjack Joe]

Howard - 4-19-2012 at 07:17 AM

There is a lot of mud slinging going on and it is all over personal opinions and passion for what one thinks is correct. What is wrong with opinions and passion? My opinion is that some people on this board are just plain bored and would to argue and fight with Gandhi, Tutu and Mandela opinions and beliefs just for the sake of conversation.
Ken has his right and his passion to post his opinion and was not condescending to my thoughts, just voicing his side of the coin.
Even though I have already posted my voice, what in the world is wrong with Mr. Bondy's way of thinking?

Skipjack Joe - 4-19-2012 at 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Howard

Even though I have already posted my voice, what in the world is wrong with Mr. Bondy's way of thinking?

Mr Bondy is proposing that sharks be off limits because of the majestic beauty. At one point in life Ken went underwater and forever changed. He is now an advocate for that life and fiercely defends them. He is now opposed to all marine killing and voices his opinion.This is especially true when in excess like those fins. I almost always agree because when he objects it's usually an unecessary death done for the wrong reasons. Although I'm sure he cringes at the images of wheelbarrows of dead yellowtail from asuncion (I do) he seldom comments. It's only large sharks or pinnipeds or turtles that bring him out. Ken's viewpoint is truly rare. Yet because of his reputation as a photographer on this board it is seldom challenged.

This thread was an exception. But as you can see it's hard to best the man.

We all have our values. Perhaps I've been too self-righteous.

[Edited on 4-19-2012 by Skipjack Joe]

Pompano - 4-19-2012 at 08:47 AM

Tally Ho..into the fray....

Common misunderstanding:

"Sharks aren’t on any endangered lists, so it is ok to continue killing them."

Many shark species are listed on Endangered Species lists, and sadly more species are being added every year as these lists are updated. .

Of the roughly 500 species of sharks, 15% are at High or Very High Risk of Extinction, 15% are approaching this status, and 45% are listed as Data Deficient.

Sharks keep the oceans healthy and eat a very small portion of fish compared with humans. In 2007, human consumption of seafood was 331 billion pounds. High tech, industrial fishing fleets and years of overfishing have done their damage; the oceans are in demise – thanks to people, not sharks.

Laguna Manuela..this is towards the end of that shark fishery.

Many scientists believe commercial fisheries will collapse worldwide by 2048, although regionally, thousands of fisheries have already collapsed, starting as early as the mid 1800’s. Example: Grand Banks fishery off the East Coast...wiped out cod and other species almost entirely. West Coast..sardines,etc. The missing fish list is horribly long.

According to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), almost 80% of our global fisheries are now being fished close to, already at, or beyond their capacity – with more than 50% of fish stocks considered fully exploited.

The successful business of supplying shark fin soup is due to advertising & marketing gimmicks..

Often it is argued that consumption of shark fin soup is a long-standing Asian tradition. In reality, it is only in the past 50 years that shark fin soup has been accessible to anyone but the most elite in Asia. For the vast majority, this is new “tradition” driven by trade marketing like any other consumer branding campaigns. It is not part of an important cultural tradition. It a playing on fad-minded consumers. plain and simple.

Also shark fin soup has very little nutrional value. Shark fins are flavorless, and the quality of the soup relies upon the broth – which is typically chicken stock. Fins are really only utilized as a thickening agent.

Enough info to convince anyone who cares enough to look?

Note: My information came from the International Union for the Conservation of Nature – Red List of Threatened Species 2010.

In my opinon, conservation-minded hunters/fishermen should no more intentionaly target and kill a shark than they should shoot a whooping crane.

Hey...why not take thier photo instead...dive with them like Ken...OR by teasing them to the boat with a feathered jig?

My two cents: I am in agreement with 'Do not make sharks extinct.'

[Edited on 4-19-2012 by Pompano]

elizabeth - 4-19-2012 at 08:55 AM

While the thresher shark is not currently on the endangered species list, the great white is. While I'm not upset that families get to eat the thresher pictured here, the practice of finning all sharks puts the ones not on the endangered list at risk. I do find the trophy thing distasteful.

All around...I'm in agreement with Ken Bondy.

Cypress - 4-19-2012 at 09:49 AM

I'll side with Ken Bondy. Pompano's post tell's it like it is. Modern technology gives a whopping advantage to the fishermen. Participated in pushing one fisheries to the brink. Have seen 'em rebound. Thank goodness for quotas, seasons, size limits etc. and strict enforcement. The days of unlimited fish catches are over. Too many hooks, too many nets have taken their toll.

bajalorena - 4-19-2012 at 10:23 AM

Back to the original post.............
dt, thanks for sharing that with us. We were watching them for quite some time, wondering what he had on the line. That was Chuy's son. Last week, a couple of guys were in the same spot fighting a fish for 3 hours, then lost it. Maybe it was also a thresher, maybe the same guys.

Cypress - 4-19-2012 at 11:34 AM

bajalorena, :?: The original post was about someone catching a shark. Sharks are fish. Do you have to be an actual eye-witness to an event to comment on it?;D