BajaNomad

Quick trip to San Quintin

durrelllrobert - 4-22-2012 at 09:19 AM

Just returned from "fishing? trip" to San Quintin. My wife's first time there. Stopped at the BC Tourist office at km178 on way down to buy fishing licenses because the on line site wouldn't work. I highly recomend this stop because it's a brand new facility, the personell are all friendly and speak perfect English and the process was very quick.
Stayed at the Old Mill where we were greeted by Jim with 2 cervas's in hand. The $42/nite room was spakling clean and large (15ft x 18ft + 15ft x 8 ft bathroom with huge shower) and the bed was very comfortable. Had one excellent meal at the restraurant next door that consisted of a huge plate of diver scallop sashimi medallons. Also ate at Jardines Baja and Celito Lindo and have no complaints.
However the fishing was not great even though our pongadera, Hector, tried his best to get us on some big ones. It was just the wrong time of year; it was cold and foggy, the water was only in the 50's and had 4-6 ft swells going out of the bay and all the way to Isla San Martin and back.
We could have stayed in Punta Banda and cought as many, if not more, bottom fish in calm waters and for a lot less $. Anyhow I'm glad I took my wife there and we plan to go back in August. Also sorry I didn't get to meet up with BajaGringo and see his abolone project.

willardguy - 4-22-2012 at 09:24 AM

if you dont mind me asking, what did that fishing trip ended up costing?

durrelllrobert - 4-22-2012 at 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
if you dont mind me asking, what did that fishing trip ended up costing?
standard rate for panga is $220 + tip and fish fileting