BajaNomad

INSURANCE for Boat in San Jose Del Cabo...suggestions

elizreininger - 4-27-2012 at 10:48 AM

Hi there,

Looking for FULL coverage boat insurance for small craft under 27 feet. It will be kept in dry stack in Marina down there...been calling and calling and can only find liability.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!

gallesram - 4-27-2012 at 11:31 AM

I use John Oyler at Blue Water Marine Insurance Brokers for my 22' Maxum; full coverage for it to be store full-time in Mulege. Here is his contact information:

Blue Water Marine Insurance Brokers
3416 via Lido Suite E
Newport Beach, CA 92663
949. 673. 1212
949. 675. 4440 (fax)
e-mail: johnoyler@sbcglobal.net

John's very responsive and should be able to take good care of you. Good luck!

Pescador - 4-29-2012 at 07:20 AM

You can also talk to Progressive Insurance. They do like to see you haul it north once in awhile, but I used them for years. Good coverage at good price.

Alan - 4-29-2012 at 02:13 PM

Have you checked with the Discover Baja Travel Club? They provided me with on the road coverage while it was towed and then a seperate "on the water" policy. Ended up not needing the "on the water" policy as a semi took out my boat on Hwy 1 just above Catavina on my way down. Entire claim was resolved in only 2 mos. Discover Baja stood right beside me through the whole process. Every time an email from me didn't receive an answer I simply cc'ed DB who immediately contacted the insurance company and I would receive an answer the very next day along with a followup email from DB to ensure I was satisfied with the response that was provided. To be completely fair, the Mexican insurance policy provider HDI Seguros actually settled the claim in only 1 month. However because I didn't have a mexico bank account I wanted the funds distributed to my US account so the Mexican insurance company had to distribute through their US affiliate, International Claims Service, who dragged their feet and required me to re-submit everything. Finally after receiving a nasty email from both Discover Baja and the Mexican insurance company HDI Seguros the US company sent me my check, full amount of the policy.

Obviously I am totally sold on Discover Baja travel club and will continue all of my future business with them and ... if the marine survey and the mechanical inspection go well next week I will have a new (to me) Parker that will need insurance in the near future.

dtbushpilot - 4-29-2012 at 02:23 PM

Alan, check your u2u.....dt

Pescador - 4-30-2012 at 06:45 AM

All of the Mexican tourist policies only cover your boat for liability and only while it is being towed behind your insured vehicle. There have been lots of reports of people assuming they had coverage and they found out they had nothing except for the times they were towing.

Lengua - 5-3-2012 at 09:16 PM

Jim , so what US insurance company in the states provides full coverage in Mexico?

Mike

Pescador - 5-4-2012 at 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lengua
Jim , so what US insurance company in the states provides full coverage in Mexico?

Mike

The only one I found is Progressive. But they require you to have a liability policy addition on your Mexican Policy for the tow vehicle because their liability is not functional in Mexico. In other words, they can cover you for comprehensive, collision, and theft and pay you in the United States, but do not want to get involved in the Liability payments should you run over someone or have an accident while towing.