BajaNomad

Tecate Border - Zero Waiting - April 27th, 2012

Pompano - 4-30-2012 at 09:13 AM

Driving the Baja Road north from Mulege, our mini-caravan consisted of one motorome, one boat/trailer, and one pickup.

This report is about that leg of the trip from Ensendada to Tecate. Hwy #3, better known as 'Ruta de Vino' which takes you through the very scenic Gaudalupe Valley and lots of nicely landscaped wineries.

The entire length of Highway 3 is in almost perfect condition after the recent road construction improvements. It was a real pleasure to drive in my 35ft motorhome ..even while pulling a boat which stretches the total length to approx. 60ft. The first part is now a 4-lane freeway and we had zero problems with the surfacing..very easy and smooth. The 50 miles from Ensenada to Tecate went by almost too fast.

Naturally, we topped off both vehicles with Pemex gas and diesel to take advantage of Mexico's cheaper fuel prices.
Also made and elderly panhandling/senora happy with a boxful of fruits/ veggies, and other items we were due to lose at the
Ag inspection via the US border.

Coming into Tecate at 7 p.m., after such a pleasant and easy drive from Ensenada, was a short bump back into the realities of city life with a lot of crossing traffic. Once again, we followed the road signs (very visible) thru the city. (Right, left, right, left and you are on the border crossing road).

Coming up over the hill alongside the border fence, I was very surprised to see that we were the only ones on the long road ahead leading up to the USA border crossing. (Usually the lineup starts somewhere around here..with a 30-60 minute wait)

Indeed, we had exactly 1 vehicle ahead of us turning into the RED/GREEN light lane.

ONE VEHICLE AHEAD TALKING TO THE BOOTH AGENT...ZERO WAITING TIME. THAT WAS A FIRST FOR ME IN ABOUT 30 YEARS OF CROSSING HERE.

The US border patrol agent at the pull-up booth was very cordial as he asked us what we were bring from Mexico, plus our passports to inspect. One US citizen, one Canadian citizen, no sweato.

He noted I had South Dakota plates and and was a resident of North Dakota..? I explained the many benefits of registering a unit in SD over most any other state and the ease of doing so. He thanked me for the info which I gave him about America's Mailboxes and said he would look into doing the same for his 20ft pull-type travel trailer, which was expensive to license, etc in California. (Yup..we all know about that California tax expense, right?)

He said we were good to go and to be careful about making the turn with my long rig into ondary. He was careful to say that all orhomes, boats on trailers, etc were mandatory calls for secondary inspection by thier customs agricultural department. Almost as if he would just send us on our merry way if it was his choice.

Hey, I managed that tight Right, then immediate Left thru the narrow entrance to Secondary and we waited about 4 minutes while the Ag inspector checked our fridge and cupboards for contraband lettuce, tomatos, and limes...none...we gave all those away back at the Pemex, remember?

He waved us on our merry way thru the gates and we were on the road again down Hwy 94 from Tecate to San Diego. Another great drive through a country setting.

Again..the Tecate crossing was unbelievably pleasant, quick, and easy. Total waiting time at crossing = 0 minutes.

[Edited on 4-30-2012 by Pompano]

durrelllrobert - 4-30-2012 at 11:06 AM

What time of day was it when you crossed on Fri?

bajadock - 4-30-2012 at 11:35 AM

ILIKEIT. Will head through Tecate crossing Wednesday. cheers.

Pompano - 4-30-2012 at 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
What time of day was it when you crossed on Fri?

Think it was about 7 p.m. Friday evening....like I said previously, this crossing was my shortest on record ...since the early 70's.

And again, this crossing scored some 'plus' points for our Customs agents & Border Patrol. We were treated like returning US citizens should be..very cordially.

[Edited on 4-30-2012 by Pompano]

htnfool - 4-30-2012 at 05:55 PM

But why go back so soon Roger, you missed the pinto tourney. :mad: You are, after all, the greatest pinto fisherman I know, but then again I know very few.

Safe travels good buddy.

Pompano - 4-30-2012 at 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by htnfool
But why go back so soon Roger, you missed the pinto tourney. :mad: You are, after all, the greatest pinto fisherman I know, but then again I know very few.

Safe travels good buddy.

'Hola Scot, I am truly sorry I had to pass on the Pinto Derby, but I have some better-not-skip appointments in San Diego, and then am off to catch some striped bass on the Colorado River...no gold-spotted bass (pintos) there to test your theory of ..the greatest pinto fisherman I know'...but then I know what you know. :rolleyes:

I guess congratulations (of some sort) are in order on your new..ah.. hunting dog:

Say Hi to your lovely wife, Melissa, who I know you call 'Skeeter' and also to your bassboat, 'Sweetheart'

WARNING: DO NOT KNOCK PINTOS! LIKE WALLEYES ARE BEST IN FRESHWATERS, THEY ARE THE BEST TABLE FISH FOUND IN THE SALT.

Tight lines and good hunts, amigo, Rog

boe4fun - 5-1-2012 at 08:25 AM

We had a similar experience when we crossed a couple of Fridays ago. On April 20th, at 4:30 PM we crossed at Tecate WITH NO ONE IN FRONT OF US! The officer joked that we shouldn't tell anyone because all of the officers liked it this way.

fourninerpapa - 5-1-2012 at 09:15 AM

We crossed at Tecate about a month ago in a 38' class A. I made the right turn out of the red/green light lane but could not make the left turn into secondary. I had to back out of the turn and they opened another gate for me and proceeded with the secondary inspection.
They were very polite and were very helpful in getting me through the maze of turns.
I asked about future crossings with our new to us Motorhome. They first suggested the truck crossing next door but after I questioned them about a non commercial vehicle using that crossing they reconsidered their suggestion. They then went on to say they would open the same gate for me the next time I came north.
We usually head to Yuma when we come north so I think we will make the east crossing at Mexicali next time we come north.
In years past we always crossed at Tecate with a 26' class C with no problems.

Norm

greengoes - 5-1-2012 at 10:27 AM

April 27, 10:00AM - Going North.

0 wait - no cars in front of me at booth.

Estoy bendito.

Wait, wait

John M - 5-3-2012 at 04:57 AM

Tuesday, May 1, 1:00 pm - 45 minutes wait time.

John M

bkbend - 5-4-2012 at 12:59 PM

That same 04/27 I hit it at 2pm, there must have been a rush, it took 20 minutes from getting into line until I popped out the other side of secondary.

Howard - 5-4-2012 at 01:49 PM

The last time I had a 4 hour wait. I suggest nobody use Tecate. Stay away from "my" border crossing. :biggrin:

Don't let the word out how great it is to cross there!

[Edited on 5-4-2012 by Howard]

Leo - 5-4-2012 at 03:00 PM

Just crossed this morning. About 20 min. wait plus secundo making it 30 min. total.

Dewey - 5-6-2012 at 10:06 PM

My last trip down to Woodies secret spots we came back through Tecate. Made the left turn and drove up the hill, no line at all until about 50 yards from the gate. Left lane closed, right lane, a military check point. I had never seen one there before. Had to stop, pop up my camper for a 10 minute check. They were doing this to every vehicle that showed up. Needless to say, the line started behind me. When I left it was at least 30 plus vehicles. I may have been the first one stopped as they opened, I am not sure. Is this now a common practice at the Tecate border?

rts551 - 5-7-2012 at 07:28 AM

The military? Have been there for about a year now.

ElCap - 5-7-2012 at 10:40 AM

Came through northbound Sat. May 5 about 2pm. 3 cars in front of me. Easy-peasy!