BajaNomad

Bill fish leader length

Fishmagician - 4-30-2012 at 01:52 PM

I was curious as to the length of the lure's leader that you guys are rigging.
I have fished both long and shorts, say from 15 feet to 6. For blues I rig on three or four hundred pound jenkai, and for strippers I rig 125 to 150?? What do you use??

mulegemichael - 4-30-2012 at 02:45 PM

most folks for strippers use a dollar bill tucked in her waistband.

Osprey - 4-30-2012 at 02:58 PM

A very good question. For me it depends on the boat -- if I can move away from the rail, the fish to accommodate the release guy, that's the length of my leader. Said another way "when you limit your movement by the swivel at the rod tip sometimes you might be sorry you can't help the release man because the leader is too long >> open deck cruiser, longer leader, my panga, short leader." I can't remember a tail cut line even with big blues. I use Jenkai 120 to 220 except when blues or blacks are around in numbers.

Fishmagician - 4-30-2012 at 03:32 PM

:lol: I note my error..LOL,,,sorry but you get the picture...LOL:fire::fire:

Pescador - 5-1-2012 at 07:26 AM

I use single strand wire in the 100 lb. range and get a lot more bites than I did when I was using the think Mono stuff.

bill erhardt - 5-1-2012 at 09:11 AM

I use 200# Jinkai mono when using feathers (100# with live bait) and rig short leaders around 4' so I can bring the fish right to the boat with the rod for photo op. and release.

See example below.

I usually fish alone, but this day took a friend. Check out the second marlin that followed the hooked one to the boat.

2marlinbn.jpg - 50kB

Fishmagician - 5-1-2012 at 09:21 AM

Bill, I like the length of your leader. I've used some even shorter - they work fine, as your photo illustrates.