BajaNomad

Hunting in Baja???

Fishmagician - 5-3-2012 at 04:18 AM

During a stay in San Jose del Cabo a number of years ago. I was told by my panga Capt. that the dove and quail hunting was good there. I'm curious (as a hunter) whether or not I could hunt birds in Baja, and what process would I have to go through to be able to that???:?:

Oso - 5-3-2012 at 07:33 AM

You need to go with an outfitter. You will not be allowed to take your own shotgun, you will need to use theirs.

DENNIS - 5-3-2012 at 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
You need to go with an outfitter. You will not be allowed to take your own shotgun, you will need to use theirs.

It would be easier if you just joined a cartel.

Thanks, but no thanks

Fishmagician - 5-3-2012 at 08:31 AM

Dennis, I'll just let that one go right on by....LOL...I've never used an AK-47 for dove or quail...

chuckie - 5-3-2012 at 03:03 PM

Almost impossible in Baja Sur..not too tough in Norte, and the quail and Pheasant shooting is awesome...Yes, you can bring your own gun but its easier to use the outfitters..Beretta O/U's and autoloaders...

Bwana_John - 5-3-2012 at 03:53 PM

can you say "speargun"?

DENNIS - 5-3-2012 at 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bwana_John
can you say "speargun"?

Are those legal for a foreigner? Why did I think "no."

chuckie - 5-3-2012 at 04:58 PM

Who cares? they are not what we are talking about....

DENNIS - 5-3-2012 at 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Who cares? they are not what we are talking about....

I care, Chuckie. That's why I asked.

Ken Bondy - 5-3-2012 at 05:14 PM

Fishmagician I can't help you with birds in Baja but I can tell you that the best dove hunting I have ever seen is at Lake Hidalgo Lodge on the mainland near El Fuerte. They handle everything for you, shells and guns, you just need a Mexican hunting license. They shoot the peanut fields and the whitewing flights are huge, the sky is black with birds. They also have fantastic largemouth bass fishing in the lake. It's been many years since I was there but they still have a website http://www.hidalgolodge.com.mx/

Fishmagician - 5-3-2012 at 09:16 PM

Many thanks for the info Ken. I read their website. Very tempting. The Capt. I referred to earlier wanted to take me deer hunting....oh trouble I avoided when I said I didn't have the time...LOL:biggrin: