BajaNomad

NORRA Mexican 1000 & LA Bay

woody with a view - 5-6-2012 at 10:01 AM

some race shots-check out the Edsel. love those pants!

the Villa Bahia is a really cool place. Rogelio took good care of us!

one yellowtail was caught by a panguero. we caught triggers, bass and blancos.

estuary at the south end of the bay.

David K - 5-6-2012 at 10:37 AM

Nice Photos!:cool:

Cypress - 5-6-2012 at 10:53 AM

woody with a view, Thanks for the photos.;D

Ateo - 5-6-2012 at 11:00 AM

Those clams look yummy. Looks like a great trip. I'm jealous.

Skipjack Joe - 5-6-2012 at 11:13 AM

How bad was the wind. Did you fish mostly mornings or were there calm days that allowed you to fish all day.

woody with a view - 5-6-2012 at 11:20 AM

it was calm each day less than 10mph. sailflow.com said tuesday was going to blow so we didn't go out in the morning. we went to the south bay then. around 11am when we got back to Villa Bahia it was dead calm so we went out for 2-3 hours. tues night it ROARED and into the afternoon wed. we decided to just do nothing wed and relax, pull the boat, lay on the beach, and left 10am thurs and drove straight thru. home by 9pm.

VB has two deadman anchors to tie up to and free kayak use with room. it made it painless to launch the boat in the morning without getting more than ankles wet.

great trip!

Skipjack Joe - 5-6-2012 at 11:28 AM

The 4th picture from the bottom isn't of Don Juan Cove is it?

woody with a view - 5-6-2012 at 11:47 AM

i dunno. it was towards the south end of smith. it looks like a cove from open water until you follow it and realize there is an island there. we drove all the way thru to the right of the picture where it was about 3' deep over the reef. smith is across the water in the foto.

edit: if you look closely you'll see the cutting board on the bow. this was our fish cleaning station that day. pretty awesome place. we commented how cool it would be to camp out here if the tides weren't too big!

[Edited on 5-6-2012 by woody with a view]

Hook - 5-6-2012 at 02:43 PM

Well, what about the new fish finder? Was that "installed" before you went? Water temps?

That cove looks like the cut in Smith on the west side.

vgabndo - 5-6-2012 at 02:54 PM

I had a couple of giggles about what the lighting guy was smoking when he set up the aims on the Hi Liters on the Edsel! Maybe they are designed to vibrate INTO proper alignment?:lol::lol::lol:

woody with a view - 5-6-2012 at 03:12 PM

i goofed with the FF. the manual said 4 batteries which i brought. the unit took 8 batteries. didn't use it. water was 63ish and TONS of bait everywhere.

Meanwhile, back to the topic

thebajarunner - 5-6-2012 at 05:33 PM

Sorry to take you back on track.....
The original Edsel was prepared by Stroppe for a wealthy dude from SoCal.
Pete Torres, sometime NASCAR West driver, was the piloto.
In the 1972 1000 he passed us doing at least 150 mph halfway between the start at Mexicali and the turnoff to head West.

About two minutes later, up ahead, we saw the gray smoke start to appear and then POW!!! he blew up about a half mile ahead of us.

Very dramatic, and very sudden ending for a rather neat looking rig.

Meanwhile Chuck and I just trudged along and finished second in the truck class
:tumble::tumble::tumble:

David K - 5-7-2012 at 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
Sorry to take you back on track.....
The original Edsel was prepared by Stroppe for a wealthy dude from SoCal.
Pete Torres, sometime NASCAR West driver, was the piloto.
In the 1972 1000 he passed us doing at least 150 mph halfway between the start at Mexicali and the turnoff to head West.

About two minutes later, up ahead, we saw the gray smoke start to appear and then POW!!! he blew up about a half mile ahead of us.

Very dramatic, and very sudden ending for a rather neat looking rig.

Meanwhile Chuck and I just trudged along and finished second in the truck class
:tumble::tumble::tumble:

Here is a photo I took of the Edsel when it was at Stewart's Raceworks in Santee getting prep'ed a couple years ago:

Skipjack Joe - 5-7-2012 at 12:28 PM

A finely shaped automobile. I never understood why it was rejected. The front grill was different from all the others. What sheep we are.

Sunman - 5-7-2012 at 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
some race shots-check out the Edsel. love those pants!

Too funny, those are some friends of mine from the hood up here!

woody with a view - 5-7-2012 at 04:24 PM

i'm at pt mugu for a 40 hour em385 class all week. gonna paddle out at the beach in the morning. overhead right now but lumpy. lemme know if you got time for a surf this week. supertubes had a wave at 630 this morning.

Edsel is still in "Stroppe colors"

thebajarunner - 5-7-2012 at 04:30 PM

No idea why it flopped.

It was named after one of Henry's sons.....Edsel Ford I
His son, Edsel Ford II and I have served together for years on a national charity board- Edsel is a great guy!
He was on Ford's board and is now on the board of directors of ISC which owns Daytona, Talladega, etc.

Sunman - 5-7-2012 at 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
i'm at pt mugu for a 40 hour em385 class all week. gonna paddle out at the beach in the morning. overhead right now but lumpy. lemme know if you got time for a surf this week. supertubes had a wave at 630 this morning.

Checked it all day, never got its act together. Bailed on it at 1600, peey winds/ tide. If you see a white Tundra w/ Four Wheel Camper say hey.