BajaNomad

Diesel fuel availability

Fishmagician - 5-6-2012 at 10:10 AM

I'm back with another question for my trip south.

I drive a '03 Chevy diesel pickup to tow my trailer. Is there any problem with availability of diesel fuel along Mex.1 to the East Cape? If there are dry spots I need to plan for them. I don't usually carry any extra diesel and my fuel tank is the standard 25 gals (approx.) Many thanks for your input.

Udo - 5-6-2012 at 10:27 AM

The only place you may have a dry spell is between El Rosario and Guerrero Negro.

By the way...the best station to buy your gas/diesel is the lonely one-pumper at the west end of Guerrero Negro.
You actually get fuel for the amount you paid, I.E. When you pay for 100 liters you get 100 liters.
The main Pemex station in Loreto is one of the worst offenders. Santa Rosalia is the other one.

Thanks Udo

Fishmagician - 5-6-2012 at 11:27 AM

The little station at the end of town Guerrero Negro,,,that's diesel fuel and it's wide enough for a trailer and my truck???:?:

rts551 - 5-6-2012 at 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fishmagician
The little station at the end of town Guerrero Negro,,,that's diesel fuel and it's wide enough for a trailer and my truck???:?:

I have not had a problem, nor have the locals so they tell me, at the newest station that is on the entrance road to town. Big. lots of pumps, convenience store, ATM, etc

rts551 - 5-6-2012 at 11:41 AM

You can also get diesel at Jesus Maria if need be.

Pescador - 5-6-2012 at 12:11 PM

I always fill at Jesus y Maria. Nice place and the Torta cafe just to the north of it is one of my favorite places to eat. Starts with a K but I can't remember the name. Much faster than going into Guerrero.

BajaBruno - 5-6-2012 at 02:18 PM

My '03 Chevy diesel pickup with a light 20' boat in tow makes the trip from El Rosario to Guerrero Negro with no problem, but I always carry two 6 gallon fuel jugs anyway, because anything can happen. Or, maybe, just for peace of mind.

Fishmagician - 5-6-2012 at 02:43 PM

Baja Bruno,

Your gas mileage with the light boat is much better than mine my trailer that comes in at about 6485 LBS. On a towing trip going to Las Vegas, Nevada I'll get maybe 10 - 12 GPM... Therefore, the gas cans are looking more important by the minute..LOL...;D

Bob and Susan - 5-6-2012 at 02:44 PM

i gas in el rosario...then jesus villa maria...then mulege...no sweat

jesus villa maria is open 24-7 and is boat trailer friendly...

off the road...on the road...

Udo - 5-6-2012 at 04:31 PM

I am certain that your truck $ 25' trailer will fit in that station, since you have to make a U turn at the end of the median and then make a small right turn into the station.
I'n not sure a 30' would make it.

Udo, Many thanks

Fishmagician - 5-6-2012 at 05:55 PM

...it's these small, but important, details than can make or break ones planning turning a possible trip into :O a real nightmare. I hope to honor your input sometime.

acadist - 5-6-2012 at 05:57 PM

Get a AAA map, marks deisel stations. But dont get too low, better safe than sorry:yes:

[Edited on 5-7-2012 by acadist]

RnR - 5-6-2012 at 08:55 PM

Bring a couple of 5 gal jugs. At 250 miles/tank, (10mpg * 25 gal tanK), that's a bit close for the Jesus Maria to El Rosario leg. If you hit a strong headwind going north, you won't make it.

I have a similiar truck/trailer/mpg/tank range rig and have had to dip into the 5 gal jugs on two trips.

ULSD or regular diesel

edm1 - 5-7-2012 at 04:15 AM

Does your trucktake regular diesel or ULSD?

BajaWarrior - 5-7-2012 at 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by edm1
Does your trucktake regular diesel or ULSD?

He has an '03 so no worries on Diesel

Bob and Susan - 5-7-2012 at 05:49 AM

i wouldn't take extra fuel...you'll be fine...diesel always stinks

my old 2003 couls go from el rosario to viscanio (sp) no sweat

there is plenty of fuel in baja

remember if you EVER ran out...money buys fuel...if you have money you will NEVER be out of fuel

All this information is great, but....

Fishmagician - 5-7-2012 at 07:14 AM

Does the diesel fuel need to be filtered at all??

bigmike58 - 5-7-2012 at 07:20 AM

no it doesnt... it's good fuel. I just drove my 2008 6.4 down to Mulege and back and had no issues. I was told to put lucas additive because I need ULSD, but I'm not convinced that I truly needed it. I see a lot of "old wives tales" and "urban legends" being repeated on forums.. so do your own research..;D

rts551 - 5-7-2012 at 07:23 AM

I drive constantly in my diesel truck and do not have problems. Just make sure your truck filter is good, as you normally would. In fact my truck (2002) likes the fuel in BCS better than the fuel up North. but I am sure that will change one of these days.

Ateo - 5-7-2012 at 07:25 AM

Trucks drive in Baja every day using Mexican diesel. Don't worry about filtering or anything - just go have a fun time!

edm1 - 5-7-2012 at 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551 . . . In fact my truck (2002) likes the fuel in BCS better than the fuel up North.. . .

Same here, my Cummins like the reguar diesel better. In fact, I put sulfur-substitute lubricant additive when I fill up with ULSD. I wish regular diesel (500ppm LSD) is still available. Now please don't flame me for global warming, pollution, etc.

chuckie - 5-7-2012 at 03:58 PM

My older Cummins (96) loves Mexican diesel..Better fuel mileage,more performance..even smells better...

Bajafun777 - 5-7-2012 at 04:08 PM

Had nothing but trouble with my injectors in my Chevy Silverado when using Mexico diesel. I tried using additives also to no avail and even though all 2003 Chevy Diesel trucks had recall a few years back on the injections raising the mileage from 100,000 to 200,000 trouble is on going. I had to change my injectors out 3 times on my 2500 Silverado HD Diese, note there are 8 injectors so costlyl.
Just got rid of it and will stick with my jeep wrangler and my MKX Lincoln Suv in Mexico for now. Hope that you have no problems but the filter is a big one to change before and after your trip down through Baja. Take Care & Travel Safe----"No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

comitan - 5-7-2012 at 04:12 PM

Good read diesel.

http://alternativefuels.about.com/od/researchdevelopment/a/c...

Fishmagician - 5-7-2012 at 04:22 PM

Bajafun777. I had my injectors replaced (no prior problem) then my good mileage went to south in hurry and never returned. I used a Seldane treatment in my boat (diesel) it helped but Chevy says not to use it in the truck. So I haven't. Maybe the gas down there will burn better. Did you injectors go out due to the Mex. diesel?? Thanks for the info

Bob and Susan - 5-7-2012 at 04:31 PM

sometimes injectors go out because people use additives
the additives breakdown rubber and plastic

ONLY use diesel fuel
and make sure you replace your fuel filter every once and awhile...

dirt in the air sticks to the oily diesel and will clog you system

Bajafun777 - 5-7-2012 at 04:38 PM

Bosch injectors just never held up in the diesel engines according to mechanics I have talked to at several Chevolet dealerships that repaired mine by installing new ones. I had all 8 replaced twice and then Injectors 1 and 3 replaced after that, just really frustrating. They have told me that the Bosch injectors cannot handle the Mexico diesel but note I have driven my truck numerous times down to Maztalan and even Puerto Vallarte but had problem once while on the road in Los Mochis but found by luck a great diesel mechanic down there that got me going again.

I have been told by MJM in Escondio that it is the O-rings that are the real problems and that the injectors did not necessarily had to be replaced. So, go figure and frankly I just got tired of it but really loved the truck other than these dang injector problems that were costly even though Chevolet sent me a letter saying they were extending the mileage warranty from 100,000 to 200,000. Again, have talked to numerous Chevolet owners having these issues, so I assume that if someone hasn't then maybe they have the models that did not use the Bosch injectors. Take Care & Travel Safe----- "No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

Fishmagician - 5-7-2012 at 04:56 PM

Bob, Susan and Bajafu777,

Thanks for the information, it all helps. I've kept my 2003 2500 HD in mechanically great shape..have had to replace injectors too, filters and parts when needed.

Comitan: thanks for the great read, very informative..

DavidE - 5-7-2012 at 05:18 PM

Wow and here I ran my GMC diesel 90,000 miles on Mexican diesel (8 years @ 12,000yr).

Mex 1 IMHO is NO PLACE to run out of fuel. Anywhere. Ever. Especially in a hard to prime diesel vehicle.

Wrap a 5 gal fuel jug in a plastic trash sack. This will help minimize odors.

PUNTA PRIETA makes for a good waypoint to add fuel. Myself, I've got a lot better things to do on Mex 1 than stare at my fuel needle and pray.

bigmike58 - 5-7-2012 at 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by edm1

Same here, my Cummins like the reguar diesel better. In fact, I put sulfur-substitute lubricant additive when I fill up with ULSD. I wish regular diesel (500ppm LSD) is still available. Now please don't flame me for global warming, pollution, etc.

This is what John Deere has to say about the need to add a lubricant enhancer.. BTW "sulfur is not a lubricant"..

"Additives for lubricity should not be necessary. Like Low Sulfur Diesel fuel, ULSD fuel requires good lubricity and corrosion inhibitors to prevent unacceptable engine wear. Additives to increase lubricity and to inhibit corrosion will be added to ULSD fuel prior to its retail sale. With these additives, ULSD fuel is expected to perform as well as Low Sulfur Diesel fuel."

here is the link..
http://www.deere.com/en_US/ag/servicesupport/tips/tractors/c...

Bob and Susan - 5-8-2012 at 05:18 AM

thats not completely true...
in simple words that people can understand
sulfur is a lubricant in fuel...

the new refining process reduces sulfur and that reduces the natural lubricating properties of the fuel...

sulfur is essential for the lubrication and operation of fuel system parts such as fuel pumps and injectors.

it is bad for the enviorment and causes smog
this is why its being eliminated

bigmike58 - 5-8-2012 at 10:49 AM

Like I said earlier...Don't believe what you read on the forums.. Do your own research.

Do a search on "Sulphur is a lubricant" and "Sulphur is not a lubricate" and then choose what to believe..

Desertbull - 5-8-2012 at 09:02 PM

I spent the past 18 days and 3,000 miles on the Peninsula was in the dirt for 2000 miles and found diesel fuel EVERYWHERE readily available.

I crossed into the States at 2pm today at Tecate and I was the only vehicle around!

Good Times!

Bob and Susan - 5-9-2012 at 05:21 AM

i crossed on monday the 30th and waited an hour and a half at tecate...you got lucky

crossing back into mexico a few days later AND importing a truckload of junk was faster

as for fuel...the only time we dont have it here is when the electricty is off:lol:

Desertbull - 5-9-2012 at 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
i crossed on monday the 30th and waited an hour and a half at tecate...you got lucky

crossing back into mexico a few days later AND importing a truckload of junk was faster

as for fuel...the only time we dont have it here is when the electricty is off:lol:

Lucky is my middle name!

edm1 - 5-9-2012 at 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigmike58
Like I said earlier...Don't believe what you read on the forums.. Do your own research.

Do a search on "Sulphur is a lubricant" and "Sulphur is not a lubricate" and then choose what to believe..

X2

In my case I know 100% my Cummins engine injection pump was engineered, proofed and tested with regular diesel (LSD) and I'll do my best to give it that or as close to it as I can.

[Edited on 5-10-2012 by edm1]