BajaNomad

Baja 500 SOLO Effort + Fundraiser

BajaGeoff - 5-8-2012 at 04:04 PM

Hey Nomads,

My good friend Dane is going to be soloing the Baja 500 on his motorcycle in a few weeks and has taken his efforts to the next level by also doing a fundraiser for Rancho Santa Marta.

It is his first attempt riding in a SCORE race, and he is doing it up right - training hard for the past year, recruiting sponsors, and all the while finding a way to benefit some kids in need.

You can sign up to sponsor Dane for a flat rate or by the mile - the further he gets, the more he earns for the kids. Please check it out and DONATE what you can! 100% of your donation will go to Rancho Santa Marta and it is tax deductible. Visit the donation page

From Dane:
"I've had a great time over the past year getting things dialed in for this effort and have made a bunch of new friends along the way. I can't wait to line up in June, and am also very excited about the fundraising effort we've been able to put together. A special thanks to Geoff Hill, Hank Morton and all the gang at Baja Bound Insurance Services and Carlos Molina at Alba Action.com for making this all happen. I wouldn't be racing without their support. With the help of my sponsors, we've put together a great fundraising effort to help support the wonderful work being done by Rancho Santa Marta in San Vicente, Baja California Mexico."

Thanks Nomads!

woody with a view - 5-8-2012 at 04:13 PM

very cool Geoff! i'll check it out!!!

I'm in!!

thebajarunner - 5-8-2012 at 04:29 PM

Just put in a pledge....

Bill Lawrence, along with wife Dr. Kaye Lawrence, has been running homes for kids in Baja since the 60's.
I first met them in 1972 and we have been close since then.
In fact, our company sponsored their 14 acre fruit orchard.

Bill has raced in the past, usually in a buggy with the Rancho name on the side.

Guess he (like me) is getting too old to put the hammer down, so it is great to see another generation come along and help the ranch and the school.

Come on Nomads- sign up and help out!!

BajaGeoff - 5-8-2012 at 04:33 PM

Gracias Bajarunner!

Much appreciated.....

woody with a view - 5-8-2012 at 05:46 PM

Geoff, what does it take to become a sponsor? i'm talking about a business sponsor not a donator.

rts551 - 5-8-2012 at 07:46 PM

Great effort. we will e watching for him at our pit.

Woody $$$$$$$$$ and parts....:lol:

woody with a view - 5-8-2012 at 08:02 PM

yeah, THANKS! since i'm just a guy (with VERY little coin) i was just wondering how i might help a friend get his brand out there! you know, it starts somewhere....:!::cool:

BajaGeoff - 5-8-2012 at 11:22 PM

Hey Woody....Dane has received some monetary support from sponsors as well as products to run on the race bike. Send me a U2U with specifics about your friends business and I will forward it to Dane for you!

thebajarunner - 5-9-2012 at 07:55 AM

Geoff
Update your donation thermometer on your site so we can see the progress of the donations to date.

TMW - 5-9-2012 at 08:59 AM

I'm in. Here's hoping for a good safe ride.

BajaGeoff - 5-9-2012 at 09:50 AM

Just updated the thermometer.....we have raised another $600 in the last 24 hours. Thanks everyone!

BajaRat - 5-9-2012 at 10:10 AM

We will donate and look forward to seeing him at the race.
Thanks for the info Geoff.:cool:

BajaGeoff - 5-9-2012 at 12:33 PM

Thank you BajaRat!

Only three weeks to race day

thebajarunner - 5-10-2012 at 06:32 PM

How is it going Geoff?

Race day is coming, hope the donations are as well

Great job and good hunting

BajaGeoff - 5-10-2012 at 08:52 PM

Almost $2000 raised so far.....provided Dane finishes the race! Thanks everyone!

TMW - 5-11-2012 at 09:58 AM

I did the race solo in 90 and 91 and my advice for Dane is to take a break when the Trophy trucks and class 1 cars catch him. No need to be mixed up with them. The last hundred miles is the hardest mentally.

BajaGeoff - 5-18-2012 at 01:14 PM

Yeah TW...we were just talking about that. Since he is running in Class 20 he will be off the line by 6:15 am. If he does the race around the average pace that he has been pre-running the course, he should be across the finish line in less than 12 hours. That would be an hour ahead of the first Trophy Truck based upon last years results. If he is still out on the course after 13 hours he will definitely have them on his tail though.....

TMW - 5-20-2012 at 10:53 AM

I'll be helping Tunaeater on bike 249X. Except for last year they have beaten the TTs to the finish line, sometimes by just seconds. Here is wishing Dane has a good ride I'll be watching for him.

BajaGeoff - 5-31-2012 at 02:43 AM

Hey Nomads...we were able to put together a last minute video about the fund raiser....hope you enjoy it! It's still not too late to help out..

Dane LaFontaine Baja 500 Fund Raiser for Rancho Santa Marta

Get on board- Nomads!!

thebajarunner - 5-31-2012 at 02:03 PM

Geoff, thanks for bringing this back up with the good vid.

Come on folks, get behind this one.

By the way, how much in the pledge pot now??

BajaBlanca - 5-31-2012 at 04:01 PM

Godspeed ! May your ride be safe and fast.

How did Dane do? And where do we send our $$

thebajarunner - 6-3-2012 at 03:05 PM

Win or lose I will double my pledge
Where do I send it?

Still time for other Nomads to chip in

woody with a view - 6-3-2012 at 03:08 PM

http://www.bajabound.com/events/rsmfundraiser.php

Woody- that is old news

thebajarunner - 6-3-2012 at 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
http://www.bajabound.com/events/rsmfundraiser.php

On my computer that site was posted a month ago.

Need to know wasshappenin now....

woody with a view - 6-3-2012 at 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
Win or lose I will double my pledge
Where do I send it?

so the donation link is no longer active?

edit: i see the total hasn't been updated in 6 weeks?:?:

[Edited on 6-3-2012 by woody with a view]

chuckie - 6-4-2012 at 02:10 AM

Pacifico?

BajaGeoff - 6-6-2012 at 01:49 PM

Hey Nomads,

I need to get the final numbers from Dane, but prior to the race we had raised about $2,300 dollars if he finished the race.

Unfortunately, Dane had some problems with the bike early on and went down a few times going up the summit. He had pre-run the summit a couple times before with no problems, but said it was totally chewed up and nasty on race day from all of the prerunning that had taken place that week. He said it looked like a yard sale up there with the number of riders falling off, and he saw several turn around and head back to Ensenada.

By the time he got down to Laguna Salada, he was dehydrated, exhausted and desperately needed to replace his air filter, but the nearest one was staged at Valle Trinidad. At that point BJ Baldwin passed him going a bazillion miles per hour and he knew that the day was only going to get worse being in the mix with the four wheel vehicles. He decided to call it a day.

On the bright side, Dane learned a lot from his first Baja race experience and is planning on racing the 500 again next year.

Thanks again to everyone who helped out!

woody with a view - 6-6-2012 at 02:21 PM

looking forward to being a part of it next year!

Dane is still a winner!!

thebajarunner - 6-6-2012 at 04:07 PM

In honor of your effort I doubled my pledge and mailed it today to Geoff.

Good going Dane,
I am already on your list for next year

TMW - 6-6-2012 at 05:05 PM

What he learned this years is great experience and he can use it for next year. He's still a winner in my book for what he was doing.

BajaGeoff - 7-30-2012 at 11:57 AM

Hey Nomads!!!

This past weekend we drove down to Rancho Santa Marta to present the donation from the fundraiser. At the end of it all, we were able to contribute $1,812.50 to Rancho Santa Marta, which is pretty darn awesome! Bill and Kaye Lawrence were very appreciative and we had a nice visit with them. Dane will be back next year to give it another go....this time with a better race bike, more pre-running and some race experience under his belt! Thank you to all of the Nomads that helped out with this effort!

Here is a photo from yesterday at Rancho Santa Marta:

woody with a view - 7-30-2012 at 12:02 PM

keep me in the notebook and i'll sponsor him (and the orphanage) for a bunch of miles.

BajaGeoff - 7-30-2012 at 01:00 PM

Thanks Woody!

We also updated the fundraising page with some additional photos and a message from Dane. Check it out at http://www.bajabound.com/rsm

thebajarunner - 7-30-2012 at 04:40 PM

I am in again!!!

Finish or not, Dane is a winner
and so are the kids at Santa Marta

Good job.

TMW - 7-30-2012 at 06:08 PM

Something to think about is for him to team up with some other Sportsmen riders. It would be less expensive for him and they could still ride for the cause.