BajaNomad

Dorado in Loreto? - Las Animas Sunrise

bill erhardt - 5-13-2012 at 09:44 AM

Usually by mid-April small, schoolie dorado are streaming up the canyon outside Loreto along with striped marlin, followed in a couple of weeks by bigger, lone bulls. There is little floating structure to hold them, but the fish are there and waiting for anybody willing to make the long run out and troll for them. This year there have been a few marlin, although generally so stuffed with the plentiful bait that it is hard to get them to bite, but the dorado are pretty much tardy for about a month and counting. There are also very few flying fish yet, although there is quite a bit of seaweed to hold them if/when they arrive.
The day before yesterday Ron and Linda Bietelspacher did find one nice 40# bull outside under a dead whale. I'm posting a photo to show that there still is hope.
After a steady diet of yellowtail for the past five months I made a two day trip south to Las Animas Fri/Sat looking for more exotic fare, but found nothing but more yellowtail.

phpX4AtfwAM.jpg - 45kB

bill erhardt - 5-13-2012 at 09:46 AM

Sunrise at the north end of Las Animas.

DSC08629.JPG - 37kB

bill erhardt - 5-13-2012 at 09:48 AM

The south end.

DSC08636.JPG - 31kB

bill erhardt - 5-13-2012 at 09:50 AM

A big 'tail coming up out of the deep yesterday at San Marsial.

DSC08650.JPG - 18kB

David K - 5-13-2012 at 10:03 AM

That's some giant dorado!!

bigmike58 - 5-13-2012 at 10:27 AM

Very Nice!! I hope to locate some nice ones starting on Wednesday.

baitcast - 5-13-2012 at 10:58 AM

Luv the pic's,Bill what you need is a good deckhand,someone to handle the gaff,someone to make the sandwitches,someone to wash the boat down,someone that knows how to stay out of the way:lol:

Just something to think about before your next outing!!
Rob

Ken Bondy - 5-13-2012 at 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt
The south end.

Bill I absolutely love this image!! What great memories it stirs. That little pinnacle is one of the world's greatest dives. The diversity is incredible, huge schools of toro, bezillions of colorful little barberfish grazing on the boulders, big grouper standing guard like sentinels, and, oh yes, the first place I ever saw schooling hammerheads. Thanks so much for the memories!! ++Ken++

bill erhardt - 5-13-2012 at 12:49 PM

Rob.....I'll take your suggestion under advisement

Ken.....I've never been underwater at LA, but usually the screen is lit up with marks. It's a good place to be when the sun comes up whether the fish are biting or not. Even in calm weather there is often a chop at daybreak. Here's a pic of a panguero who thought the possible rewards might justify a bumpy ride out and back one day.....

f3344237.jpg - 47kB

acadist - 5-13-2012 at 02:39 PM

Great pics. How are water temps? Gonna be in La Paz in 3 weeks and hoping for some great fishing.

bill erhardt - 5-13-2012 at 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by acadist
Great pics. How are water temps? Gonna be in La Paz in 3 weeks and hoping for some great fishing.

The SST was 73 degrees at Las Animas, but offshore east of Loreto it has been approaching 80 in the heat of the day.