BajaNomad

Gonzaga-Chapala

chuckie - 5-17-2012 at 08:20 AM

Had some folks get in last nite,they drove from San Felipe to Chapala...NEVER AGAIN they said, NEVER AGAIN....I have not been over that road in years, but will be going up that way end of June...Anybody else have any RECENT experience???:?:

David K - 5-17-2012 at 08:26 AM

That is silly... did they not know that 50 miles are still dirt? Will they not go even after it is all paved? What happened to freak them out?

edm1 - 5-17-2012 at 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Had some folks get in last nite,they drove from San Felipe to Chapala...NEVER AGAIN they said, NEVER AGAIN....I have not been over that road in years, but will be going up that way end of June...Anybody else have any RECENT experience???:?:

Never again !!!

That's what I said in 2007 (see my trip reports). Now i want the dirt roads preserved.

That's a hyperbole they're telling you.

[Edited on 5-17-2012 by edm1]

Phil S - 5-17-2012 at 09:02 AM

Wendy & I drove it last November going south. Got a real education on "driving through vada's however. but my stupid. Slower going is the only way to drive that area. Will do it again should we go south this November. Well worth it to miss driving the Hwy1 mountain roads you miss going this way. When it's paved, I hope the truckers won't start going this way.

David K - 5-17-2012 at 09:12 AM

The San Felipe to Puertecitos highway really needs to be replaced with a modern style road, such as the one south of Puertecitos to properly handle the semis that WILL be going this way if they are traveling to/ from Mexicali or the mainland to Baja Sur. It has been reported here that the new highway will run inland from the current one along the coast... Probably the route of the original road to Puertecitos via the sulfur mine.

rts551 - 5-17-2012 at 09:25 AM

Its NOT silly. to answer your question, I drove it in April 2012. The first part is the same with sharp dips in the vados so go slow. Second part (Puertecitos to North of Rancho Grande) is really nice until the pavement ends. Then the road is washboard and rocky (slow going for us) for 50 miles until HWY 1. Have a good trip.

Sprocket - 5-17-2012 at 09:36 AM

Best highway in all of Baja!

TMW - 5-17-2012 at 09:39 AM

I was on it the end of April following the NORRA race. There is a detour at the end of the paved road that adds a couple of miles maybe but it was all OK. Gonzaga to hwy 1 at Chapala same old road it has been for last few years. If you want a bad road in comparison keep going and cross hwy 1 at Chapala and head out to the coast.

chuckie - 5-17-2012 at 09:57 AM

Hey! I dont mind bad roads, been here for 30 years, and have gotten pretty used to them..I was just curious, doing a sanity check on what the folks told me....What freaked them out? Dunno...They are from Southern California tho, so could have been anything...:lol:

woody with a view - 5-17-2012 at 10:06 AM

prolly withdrawls from their morning latte's....

motoged - 5-17-2012 at 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view

Just weenies....:lol:

Marc - 5-19-2012 at 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view

Just weenies....:lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ken Cooke - 5-19-2012 at 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
It has been reported here that the new highway will run inland from the current one along the coast... Probably the route of the original road to Puertecitos via the sulfur mine.

This is good news - to preserve the integrity of the region and keep noise pollution to a minimum.

Cypress - 5-19-2012 at 05:52 PM

Quote:
Hey! They are from Southern California , so could have been anything...:lol:

Yep! :biggrin:

willardguy - 5-19-2012 at 06:19 PM

this is too cool, where the pavement ends at the encantadas theres a family that took up residence under the new road in one of the large tunnels that go under the road. all the comforts of home, they even have a satellite dish! probably nice and cool under there.

chuckie - 5-19-2012 at 07:13 PM

Now! Theres some creative thinking....

RnR - 5-19-2012 at 08:09 PM

Until it rains.......

rts551 - 5-19-2012 at 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
this is too cool, where the pavement ends at the encantadas theres a family that took up residence under the new road in one of the large tunnels that go under the road. all the comforts of home, they even have a satellite dish! probably nice and cool under there.

and the rent is cheap

rts551 - 5-19-2012 at 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RnR
Until it rains.......

spring cleaning

Edguero - 5-19-2012 at 08:29 PM

Quote:

Must be bad people........lol

brewer - 5-26-2012 at 08:43 PM

Just drove it around April 30th. Right after the Mexican 1000 went through. Those guys tore it up. It was a lot smoother in the end of March. But it's not that bad. Air down to 20 and take it easy. The detour brings you out toward the water ( heading south from where the pavement ends ) and then back to the original road. Those guys are really pushing that road through to Gonzaga. It'll be paved soon. Bummer. I go that way every time now to avoid northern Mex 1.

Saw the family under the bridge...classic.

[Edited on 5-27-2012 by brewer]