BajaNomad

Iron for Pargo and Grouper

Fishmagician - 5-17-2012 at 02:40 PM

Can you use iron for Pargo and grouper. Either the yoo yooing, gigging or fast retries????:?:

Cypress - 5-17-2012 at 02:43 PM

You can use iron, but the big boys like live bait.

acadist - 5-17-2012 at 04:51 PM

A year ago fishing La Paz we got this nice amberjack on a scrambled egg iron, needless to say there was a rush on iron at the tackle shops that night

[Edited on 5-17-2012 by acadist]

Fishmagician - 5-17-2012 at 05:19 PM

Acadist, did you jig for that jack or through at him and retrieve it back.
Thanks;)

Skipjack Joe - 5-17-2012 at 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fishmagician

Can you use iron for Pargo and grouper. Either the yoo yooing, gigging or fast retries????:?:

Don't forget twooling.

baitcast - 5-18-2012 at 07:35 AM

All three methods will work well and for many other species,my favorite form of fishing the gulf is pitching iron,getting slammed while cranking,nothing better!
Rob

Ain't it GREAT..

Fishmagician - 5-18-2012 at 08:16 AM

Cranking iron is great!!:yes::yes: That sudden hit on a jig being fast cranked back to the boat - I love it...

A few years ago while fishing off of San Diego I found a decent paddy. My son and I first caught a couple yellows with bait and then I went to the bow and threw iron to the paddy and that was one great day. I released yellows till i was dizzy. Some say that I still am, but I'm happy....love that way of hookin' fish.;););)

woody with a view - 5-18-2012 at 08:34 AM

we were yoyoing off san roque one day for the bruiser YTs and on the drop my line suddenly went tight. you guys know that feeling? i slammed that old jigmaster into gear and it literally exploded in my hands with a god-awful sound!

Juan Carlos was the man of the day when he hand-lined biggest YFT of the day onto the boat!!!! Gracias Amigo!

PRAY $ TUNA this year!

Hand line that BAD BOY

Fishmagician - 5-18-2012 at 09:01 AM

6 OUCH!!!!!!!:O:O:no::no::O:O

baitcast - 5-18-2012 at 09:29 AM

When on a cattle boat I never fished the stern,always went to the bow,most the time had it to myself and jigged fish,had the nick name "Iron Man" at the plant :lol:
Rob

Skipjack Joe - 5-18-2012 at 10:29 AM

Woody,

Was that picture taken north of san roques? North of the lighthouse and past that bay?

Yep, a tuna of that size can do a number on a penn 500. Especially if the drag is set too tight. That first run is fast and long. Usually they go straight out and then straight down. Bringing them back up kills you.

I remember my first yellowfin tuna. I tried real hard pumping him in and just about collapsed from the fatigue. After laying in the bottom of the panga listlessly for an hour I figured it out. Just lean back and bring in only the line he gives you.

A lot of guys in our group just avoided tuna altogether. Most preferred a dorado on a fly with its aerial battle and surface runs. Dorado on proper tackle (flies cast to edge of paddies) is more fun IMO.

Frank - 5-18-2012 at 10:39 AM

I got this AJ last June at the Pargo hole off the East Cape. Butterfly jig fished with a fast pump and wind action instead of that fast steady grind.

[Edited on 5-18-2012 by Frank]

[Edited on 5-18-2012 by Frank]

woody with a view - 5-18-2012 at 10:43 AM

i don't remember seeing a lighthouse. we were fishing that hi spot out there. got 2 YT and this guy, then headed back to town and got moreYFT and some calicos. it was our last great day on the water. need another tuna fix!

Pacifico - 5-18-2012 at 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
we were yoyoing off san roque one day for the bruiser YTs and on the drop my line suddenly went tight. you guys know that feeling? i slammed that old jigmaster into gear and it literally exploded in my hands with a god-awful sound!

Juan Carlos was the man of the day when he hand-lined biggest YFT of the day onto the boat!!!! Gracias Amigo!

PRAY $ TUNA this year!

What month was that, Woody?

baitcast - 5-18-2012 at 11:33 AM

Hand line that brute with mono:o seems like a great way to get a finger burned off!
Rob
Never caught a Amberjack,looks like a hand full!!

[Edited on 5-18-2012 by baitcast]

pascuale - 5-18-2012 at 02:35 PM

Grouper like live bait, Pargo like jigs and bait, yellows love a salas 6xjr in scrambled egg (my favorite), or a tady surface iron. It really all depends on what the fish are eating. I always try to match my bait or jigs with the food that the fish are eating. I always like to check the stomach of the fish to see what they have been preferring.

willardguy - 5-18-2012 at 03:24 PM

two of these guys fell for the same krockodile this year!

woody with a view - 5-18-2012 at 04:43 PM

that was 3 octobers ago near halloween.

Skipjack Joe - 5-18-2012 at 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pascuale

yellows love a salas 6xjr in scrambled egg (my favorite)....

It really all depends on what the fish are eating. I always try to match my bait or jigs with the food that the fish are eating.

They're eating eggs?

Cypress - 5-18-2012 at 04:49 PM

Amberjacks are powerful deep water fish. Fight from the surface to the bottom, down right tasty. Personal best is 84 lbs., caught off a wreck south of Dauphin Island in about 80' of water. Live bait.;D

baitcast - 5-18-2012 at 05:01 PM

Mr Willard Guy that biggie reminds me of a rock pile PaPa showed me one time on the other side of the island many years ago,it was his private honey hole and I had to swear on the threat of death to never:lol:
Rob
I hooked a giant there one day on a nice size Sierra but thats a another story

[Edited on 5-19-2012 by baitcast]

mulegejim - 5-18-2012 at 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Amberjacks are powerful deep water fish. Fight from the surface to the bottom, down right tasty. Personal best is 84 lbs., caught off a wreck south of Dauphin Island in about 80' of water. Live bait.;D

Also called Pez Fuerte - very strong and a member of the jack family and a close relative of the yellowtail. Good eating.

http://www.mexfish.com/fish/ambjk/ambjk.htm

[Edited on 5-19-2012 by mulegejim]

acadist - 5-20-2012 at 07:24 AM

Jig, baby, Jig

acadist - 5-20-2012 at 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view

PRAY $ TUNA this year!

Great color!! I am on my knees!!!!

[Edited on 5-20-2012 by acadist]

Fishmagician - 5-20-2012 at 04:12 PM

A.J.s are really tasty, so they have two great qualities - they fight hard and tastier even better....how can one argue that.:yes::yes:

Skipjack Joe - 5-20-2012 at 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast

Mr Willard Guy that biggie reminds me of a rock pile PaPa showed me one time on the other side of the island many years ago,it was his private honey hole and I had to swear on the threat of death to never:lol:
Rob
I hooked a giant there one day on a nice size Sierra but thats a another story

Would you like to tell us about it?

[Edited on 5-20-2012 by Skipjack Joe]

Fishmagician - 5-20-2012 at 06:45 PM

:yes::yes: just the numbers that will be enough :yes::yes::yes:

bigmike58 - 5-20-2012 at 07:02 PM

We had a few tough days...we trolled and covered about 200 miles in 3 days and got.....zip, nada,nuttin.... The pemex guy was happy!!
We saw a ton of dolphin...but no Marlin or dorado yet..

Fishmagician - 5-20-2012 at 07:28 PM

We all feel your pain.....but remember the Pemex guy loves you..:biggrin::biggrin:

acadist - 5-20-2012 at 07:54 PM

Better day than at work!

Skipjack Joe - 5-20-2012 at 08:10 PM

Trolling unsuccessfully all day is better than work? Not in my book. Well, some days at work really suck.