BajaNomad

Those of you fishing this weekend..

Fishmagician - 5-26-2012 at 02:34 PM

Please, please post photos we love 'em..any type of fishing..:yes::yes::tumble:

Hook - 5-26-2012 at 03:57 PM

The 19th Annual Club Deportivo Ladies International Fishing Tournament out of San Carlos, Sonora began today. By the 1pm checkin, over half of the entrants had returned to port due to large seas and high winds. Tomorrow's conditions are expected to be even worse.

I have heard of a few boats releasing marlin and sails but I havent heard of any weighable dorado.

I believe there is a dorado tournament out of Mulege this weekend. I imagine conditions are similar. Strong NW winds today and tomorrow.

Cypress - 5-26-2012 at 04:11 PM

Yea, Have been fishing. Bluegill and Crappie! Fried to a golden brown. Yummie!!!:biggrin:

Hook - 5-26-2012 at 04:24 PM

Worms and a bobber? :biggrin:

Cypress - 5-26-2012 at 04:28 PM

Hook! Yep!:lol:

BajaBruno - 5-26-2012 at 04:59 PM

Hook, I often hear much different fishing reports from San Carlos versus Loreto or Mulege, when I would think they should be about the same. Any idea why that is? Does the the east side of the SOC warm faster than the west side, or is there some less obvious factor?

Pescador - 5-26-2012 at 05:21 PM

If you watch the Terrafin temp. charts you will quickly see what happens to currents and temps between the mainland side and the Baja side. Warm water starts coming up the mainland side and then starts eddying around to our side. We normally are behind the curve and our side warms up much slower than Guaymas / San Carlos. That changes slightly in the fall and we see a different pattern. I watch the reports carefully from San Carlos to see when things are starting to happen over there so I usually get some idea of when things are likely to start happening here.

bigmike58 - 5-26-2012 at 06:07 PM

I'm coming back down June 12th for 3 weeks. I hope the dorado's are in, they were MIA last week...

BajaBruno - 5-27-2012 at 04:09 PM

Thanks, Pescador, I appreciate the insight.

Hook - 5-27-2012 at 07:13 PM

Somewhere around 10 weighable dorado today, during the women's tournament. NONE yesterday. Largest were only in the low 20s.

CORRECTION: The final tally at the women's tournament shows that there was a 37, 33, and 29 lb dorado taken on the last day.

19 billfish released. 28 boats entered.

[Edited on 5-30-2012 by Hook]

acadist - 5-28-2012 at 05:18 AM

What??? No fish pictures on this thread. Some of us are seriously jonesing.............3 more days until we hit the road!!!!!!!

Hook - 5-29-2012 at 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by acadist
What??? No fish pictures on this thread. Some of us are seriously jonesing.............3 more days until we hit the road!!!!!!!

Well, I felt a little guilty simply TALKING about OTHER PEOPLE and their fishing experiences, when the OP wanted some first hand stuff. With pics.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooo.....................................

I went out this AM all by my lonesome (two turned down invitations) which is not easy on a flybridge boat.

Anyway, after a 40 minute battle, of which about 10 minutes was me hovering over the side with a pole in one hand and a gaff in the other, I managed to land my largest dorado every.

58 lbs.

This broke my personal best for dorado by 21 lbs. I had never even caught a dorado in the 40s. I guess I still havent. :biggrin:

23 miles out. Purple cedar plug that was so chewed up that it's been half natural color for two years. But I keep using it cause it always gets hit first in a spread.

DSC_0881.JPG - 20kB

Hook - 5-29-2012 at 05:13 PM

BTW, that's my boat in the background, over my left shoulder. :lol:

acadist - 5-29-2012 at 05:50 PM

That's what I wanted! A fish story!

acadist - 5-29-2012 at 05:53 PM

btw, how did you edit your post......tomorrow? Ir that the fish you are yet to catch???? feels like the twilight zone

Hook - 5-29-2012 at 06:28 PM

"Oh, there is a better side to the story", he said, with a sheepish grin.

I drove through 22 miles of the greenest water this side of an algae pond. Then, at 23, the blue water was delineated by one of the widest and longer scum lines I have ever seen. No big paddies in it; just lots of flotsam and sargasso pies. Within this was the contents of something akin to the Monterey Bay aquarium. Hundreds upon hundreds of one foot diameter white jellyfish, along with baitfish of all sizes, pelicans diving, boobies diving, terns diving. I trolled along this for a half an hour and saw FIVE live turtles in there (but never actually saw one feeding on jellyfish, as the legend goes). Disappointed that I had not gotten even one knockdown or sighting of a dorado in this milieu-made-for-dorado; I turned to go outside further, as this was only a half day of fishing, and I was still four miles short of my Tempbreak goal.

I had been trolling for maybe three minutes when I looked back to check the three lines..............and the middle one has line being taken out fairly slowly BUT ABOUT 2/3 OF IT IS OUT!!! I have to admit that my hearing is getting worse and worse and reel clickers just seem to blend in with the engine noise.

Remember, I am on the bridge facing away from the poles, your honor............

Long story, medium short.................I thought I had a skulking marlin for the first five minutes. Then, the next ten minutes, I swore I had hooked something inanimate.

Remember, I am still on my spectra backing and have probably 300 yards out, your honor................

Probably for the next 15 minutes I was pretty sure it was a dorado (still no jump) but I figured I had side snagged a small to medium sized one.

Then I saw it from a distance and I was pretty darn sure it was the biggest dorado I had ever caught..........or seen in the water. I seem to remember seeing a 60+ lber on the scales at an East Cape resort in the 80s.

Well, that's pretty much it. After having gotten the fish to within 15 feet three times, I'd had to back off on the drag to give my back a rest. I was fishing with one of my oldest rigs; a 5.5 foot XXH rod with an old Penn 113H with Accurate side frames and upgraded drags of course.

It wasnt pretty.........but it was successful.

Hook - 5-29-2012 at 06:29 PM

Lemme check my profile or settings. Mebbe I am not set in the correct time zone and it thinks I am already in tomorrow.

Hook - 5-29-2012 at 06:31 PM

My timezone is correct. But GMT is already 1:30am tomorrow, I guess. That's probably why it's doing that.

Fishmagician - 5-29-2012 at 07:18 PM

Great story...you fought a good a fight..Had you told that to a real judge I bet one of his eyebrows would jumped up to his hair line...LOL:lol::lol::tumble::rolleyes:

[Edited on 5-30-2012 by Fishmagician]