BajaNomad

No Passports at the READY Lane

CortezBlue - 5-29-2012 at 07:17 PM

FYI

I have found several web pages that stated that "Newer" passports with chips in them are allowed in the ready lane.

So today, with my son following behind us and his friends behind him, I told them to take the READY lane because their Passports had smart chips in them. Luckily the border agent was a super nice agent, very rare, and I told her that the trucks behind have just passports and not smart cards. She confirmed that she would let them through, but the technology in passports does not support the READY/SENTRI system, so they are not allowed. However she said it was not a big deal and would let them through, but don't do it again.

Ateo - 5-29-2012 at 07:53 PM

Probably a learning curve on the new passports and they're allowing people in the wrong line on accident. What are they gonna do - turn you around at the front of the line?:biggrin:

I did Otay line memorial day at noon and it took me 20 minutes with the new passport microchip card. It was awesome!

Ateo - 5-29-2012 at 07:55 PM

And just to confirm, a newer passport card is all you need for ready lane - no paper passport! They didn't ask for our paper passport. The guard was actually pleasantly nice.

CortezBlue - 5-29-2012 at 08:09 PM

I guess I should give some more detail.

If you have a Passport Card with the "PASS" logo, it will work fine. If you have a brand new paper passport that has a microchip, it is not accepted. But then again, if you get in the line, what are they going to do.

Me, I have SENTRI, but took Dad down and he is unable to walk, other wise I would have kicked out and made him walk across and picked him up on the other side:no: