BajaNomad

LONDON 2013 - we're going #1 - SUITCASES

BajaBlanca - 5-31-2012 at 02:11 PM

the high school kids and I are now so buddy buddy that we have agreed to make a trip to London during semana santa of next year.

There are maybe 15 kids and some teachers/parents who will be going. Great way to practice English, verdad ?

So, here is where you all come in: They will be working for 1 year to raise cash. I thought we would help them with getting donations of SUITCASES, which the kids can use to travel with.

Please, if you have a nice suitcase that you can spare, throw in some old clothes, shoes that they can sell in gargage sales and leave them

1. with Shari in bahia asuncion and I will pick them up
2. here in la bocana and get a suprise in exchange
3. in san ignacio with Juanita at Casa Leree
4. at the restaurante ARMIDA right at the turn off to Punta Abreojos
5. in Ensenada perhaps with Sirenita ??

If anyone else can think of a helpful location drop-off, please let me know. muchos thank you's to all.

Blanca

cabobaja - 5-31-2012 at 02:55 PM

Blanca, good on you!!!!! Nomads in Todos, Pescadero & Elias Calles. I'm in!

If you have suitcases/clothes contact me and I'll make sure they get to Blanca. I will go to Walmart in Cabo and purchase some. What a great opportunity for your kid's Blanca. Oh, kinda don't like the U2U, so if you have donations email me and I'll pick them up and make sure they get to Blanca. costapacifico@yahoo.com

woody with a view - 5-31-2012 at 03:38 PM

cooool! good job Blanca!

since you'll be in the hood, check out Alderson Square http://www.ukstreetmap.info/map-harrogate-alderson-square-st...

my people (Alderson's) were kicked out of UK and sent to the US after the mayflower established a colony.... kinda explains a lot, eh?:lol::light::biggrin:

[Edited on 5-31-2012 by woody with a view]

BajaBlanca - 5-31-2012 at 03:40 PM

cabobaja - that is really kind of you ....

THANKS THANKS and more thanks.

where exactly is elias calles ?

we have neighbors who have 2 boys studying in los cabos and I am sure we could figure out a rendevous point.

this is exciting .... very exciting. I heard that the girls already did a money raising activity - something called pescando ???? I am thinking of having a boys vs. girls competition to see who raises more cash each week.

paranewbi - 5-31-2012 at 04:18 PM

Get a paypal account set up...I'm in with the boys!

We Have Clothing and Luggage to Donate

Gypsy Jan - 5-31-2012 at 04:28 PM

Please post or U2U me with a location and contact information in either Rosarito, La Mision or Ensenada with where we can deliver the items.

What a wonderful, life changing adventure this will be!

GJ

cabobaja - 5-31-2012 at 04:32 PM

Blanca, Elias Calles is 30 miles north of Cabo, 18 miles south of Todos on the pacific. We have a year, the kids will have everything they need to make the trip of their life!!

BajaBlanca - 6-1-2012 at 09:25 PM

OK Gypsy Jan, I will get an address tomorrow probably ....

cabobaja - a year is really going to be perfect for these kids to make a dream come true. thanks for the explanation about your location. we have been to cabo and we have been to todos santos, so maybe we went by your neck of the woods and didn't even know it !

can I do a paypal account with a Baja account ? If so, we shall work on setting one up. If it has to be int he States, then I have to have my mom open one up for us.

woody with a view - 6-1-2012 at 09:31 PM

all you need is a bank account. nomads will deposit to this account you set up and then you take it out of the account.

london calling from the far-away towns......

Bajaboy - 6-1-2012 at 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cabobaja
Blanca, good on you!!!!! Nomads in Todos, Pescadero & Elias Calles. I'm in!

If you have suitcases/clothes contact me and I'll make sure they get to Blanca. I will go to Walmart in Cabo and purchase some. What a great opportunity for your kid's Blanca. Oh, kinda don't like the U2U, so if you have donations email me and I'll pick them up and make sure they get to Blanca. costapacifico@yahoo.com

Mark, how about if we drop them off to Blanca after we visit you in July? Seems like a no-brainer. Or....you could always bring them up and check out our new guest room....

shari - 6-2-2012 at 07:42 AM

what a wonderful goal...I am curious Blanca...are the kids getting passports and what is involved with getting them a visa for England?

suitcases vs. backpacks

captkw - 6-2-2012 at 08:02 AM

Hola,would backpacks be better than suitcases? reminds me of those old ads of dropping a suitcase out of a plane !!! LOL.. K & T :cool:

cabobaja - 6-2-2012 at 08:15 AM

Zac, either way!! Once your home in Asuncion aren't you close to La Bocana? BUt....yea, if you have a new guest room maybe I need to come
up and check it out for 4-5 months:biggrin:

Looking forward to seeing the Johnston family here in Elias Calles in July.

cabobaja - 6-2-2012 at 01:14 PM

Bumpity Bump

Have a suitcase or used clothes. Email me and I'll pickem-up. Todos to Cabo

tiotomasbcs - 6-2-2012 at 05:07 PM

Need a chaperon? My Ingles is not the Queens. I want to see Picadilly and the Rolling Stones in Hyde Park!:cool: Tio

BajaBlanca - 6-7-2012 at 01:12 PM

shari - to answer your questions first - the kids will be getting their passports this July - as soon as vacation starts.

capt: I think they need suitcases for Europe - I am going to try and get them to pack light. right. but I can try.

I have an ex- la bocana student who is now in Ensenada and can receive suitcases and we'll figure out how to get them down (lots of trafic to and fro). She speaks English very well = BETSY CELL 646 187-4174
HOME 646 155-6146

I just tried to call the cell phone and she couldn't hear me and no one answers her home number ... if you have trouble contacting her, let me know, I will get another contact :)

cabobaja - thankssssssssssssssssssss
anyone coming north can drop the suitcases of at the exit to punta abreojos = the name of the restaurant / pit stop is ARMIDA'S ... Please put a note that says BLANCA - LA BOCANA, let me know that you left it, and voila ! we shall pick it up and we'll take good care of Armida for doing these wonderful favors !

Brian L - 6-7-2012 at 02:52 PM

Dumb question. What is London 2013?

Aren't the Olympics this summer: London 2012

BajaBlanca - 6-7-2012 at 07:27 PM

no such thing as a dumb queston. ask any teacher ! the kids in our local village are working and saving cash to go to London next year - ergo - London 2013 !

Bajaboy - 6-7-2012 at 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
no such thing as a dumb queston. ask any teacher ! the kids in our local village are working and saving cash to go to London next year - ergo - London 2013 !

I disagree...there are such things as dumb questions....just ask my students:lol:

shari - 6-8-2012 at 07:14 AM

I may have a ride for stuff coming from ensenada...an amigo is giving sirenita a ride and might have room...I sent Jan her phone number.

Last night at the fish BBQ, we were all wondering about how the kids dont need a visa to go to Europe...wow...cool...is it because it's a student trip or mexicanos in general dont need a visa?

BajaBlanca - 6-8-2012 at 02:55 PM

oh bajaboy THAT WAS A GOOD ONE ... and yes, I defintely stand corrected

:lol:

In England, they give you the visa right then and there. at the airport. upon arrival. I checked online and that is how I did it myself all the times we have gone.

but I did find out that we do need a special transit visa to get into the states. so I have to deal with that now .... I sure hope they don't give us a hard time ! If they do, we'll just leave via la paz or tj and so be it.

shari - 6-8-2012 at 08:02 PM

we had to do the same thing and just to transit through the states they made us get the usual 10 year tourist visa...oh well.

BajaBlanca - 6-15-2012 at 09:28 AM

we are working hard with all sorts of activities !

so, one of these days soon, we are going to LA PAZ to get the kids their Mexican passports .... we can pick up any suitcase donations then .... maybe have a baja nomad dinner together ???? with the kids ??? How cool would that be ?